PDA

View Full Version : Perryville on the Farm June 2-3 2007

yankeebelle
01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Here is some general information on the event. You can register and find addition information at www.perryvillereenactment.org.

Impression
This event’s impression will be civilian only and semi-immersion. All participants are encouraged to do first person, but may develop a third person conversation with the visiting public. This will allow the visitor to better understand the scenarios. Further, those that are dong demonstrations are encouraged to interact with the visiting public via third person. Interaction between guests and participants is highly recommended.

The core impression should incorporate specific individuals that were present in town as well as the occupants of the farms that would become the battlefield with an emphasis on the Mary Jane Gibson family and their farmstead. Please visit our website at www.perryvillereenactment.org and look at the section entitled “Owners of the Battlefield.”

Widow Gibson Farmstead
The Gibson farmstead would be caught in the middle of a desperate struggle during the fall of 1862. The Battle of Perryville would rage around the small cabin and its outbuildings. The occupants of the cabin cowered under the floorboards during the maelstrom.

The log barn on the Gibson farmstead would be caught in the middle of a desperate fight during the battle of Perryville. This barn is featured in the Harper’s 1862 Mosler’ lithograph.
“Descending the hill some forty or fifty yards, we were fired upon by the (33rd Ohio), not more than fifty or sixty yards distant, concealed behind a rail fence, which was a prolongation of the fence enclosing the field in which the battery was situated. There was a fence and a field on my right running up to two cabins at the line of the enemy’s forces. There were skirmish lines along this fence, which fired on our rear as we advanced. The Sixteenth had no protection except a few trees in the forest. I ordered a charge.”
Col. Savage, commanding 16th TN, Donelson’s brigade, Cheatham’s division.

The Widow Gibson Farmstead will eventually be fully recreated on the battlefield. One of our primary programs throughout 2007 will be to reconstruct the Widow Gibson log barn.

Opportunities to Participate
Civilian participants will be portraying local citizens during the early summer of 1862. The weekend will have several opportunities to participate in the agricultural and the domestic arts that were in common practice in Antebellum Kentucky. Rail fence construction, log barn construction, and planting will be some of the activities featured. The impression will require period tools - specifically axes, adzes, hatchets, shovels, hoes, etc. Horses and wagons are welcome and encouraged.

Participants that are portraying the townsfolk should be prepared to demonstrate or exhibit common domestic practices for the public. There are opportunities for individuals who can portray different members of the community with specific skills i.e. doctors, shopkeepers etc. Individuals that can do specific interpretations such as traveling peddlers, cobblers and other specialty impressions are welcome. Town ladies will be needed to help prepare the community meal.

With the political climate in Kentucky during 1862 tempers were ill at ease. There are opportunities for individuals with specific political interest. Appropriate period banter regarding Kentucky’s precarious position during the American Civil War is encouraged.

Participants wishing to give specific demonstrations or lectures regarding period agricultural or domestic practices are welcome. Please contact park staff in order to arrange a time and place for your particular demonstration, talk or activity.
Principal Activities:
Reconstruction of Widow Gibson Log Barn

Reconstructing the fences along Maney’s Ridge to return that landscape to its wartime appearance.

Planting the large cornfields associated with Donelson’s attack.

Preparing Saturday evening community meal.

Cooking and demonstrating period domestic arts. Quilting party.

Saturday Evening Social featuring the Allendale Melodeons.

Individuals should be prepared to engage in numerous domestic and agricultural activities throughout the weekend.

Please contact myself or Join House with any questions.

Thank You

Beverly Simpson

markbeve@bellsouth.net

RJSamp
02-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a first rate time Beverly.

Although a trifle late in the season to be checking corn? Haven't consulted my Farmer's Almanac, but 1st Week in May for mid KY and this mild winter (so far) would be more to Grand Pa's way of thinking.

yankeebelle
02-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Mr. Samp,

It is a fine event indeed. This will be our third year and each year we find more things for us to do as civilians.

The largest part of the corn field will be planted early. There is a small patch saved for this event that we get to plant. Last year it was planted a week after the event due to the mud. It did okay. The earlier corn did better but the small patch did good. The first year we planted this field it was a great opportunity for folks who had never plowed with horses to do so. Also, the kids quite enjoyed planting the seeds then seeing what they had at the October event.

Any chance you will be joining us?

Beverly Simpson

Washington_Mess
02-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Greetings,
Here in Iowa I've seen many many references in primary material to farmers planting corn as late as the first week of June during the middle part of the 19th century. This is quite possible with some of the earlier varieties of corn and seems to be a fairly common practice in this neck of the woods.

Modern farmers like my family, plant corn much earlier than our ancestors did.

Darrek

yankeebelle
04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
It has been brought to my attention that there are questions concerning skill level and first persion participation for this event.

Please vist www.perryvillereenactment.org you will find much information for this event. (it is listed under other events).

After visiting this site if you have any futher questions please contact me at markbeve@bellsouth.net

Thank You

Beverly Simpson