PDA

View Full Version : Amherst Museum Event, June 16-17, 2007

Guy Gane III
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Gentlemen,

I apologize for not updating all of you, lately, as to the current status of the Amherst Museum event. I have been out of town for the past few days and unable to write up a summary.

This year's A.M. Civil War event will be held from June 16-17, 2007. I recommend taking a look at the museum's website (http://www.amherstmuseum.org/). The event will be open to the public as follows: Saturday: 10 AM - 5 PM. Sunday: 11 AM - 4 PM. Reenactor participants/vendors will be allowed to set up their 'homes' starting on the Thursday before the event.

Attached is the flyer that will be sent out from the museum.

This year we will be doing things a bit differently.

Mike Lavis will be the over-all Federal military Commander. The Confederate military commander will be announced soon. I will be the over-all event coordinator, with John Wall handling all logistical elements. Ben Maryniak will (hopefully, as to yet I have not received the confirmation), be commentating the event.

I am also proud to announce that M-One Financial Services of Amherst, N.Y., (www.m-onefinancial.com) will be donating money to do a few fun things for the event. Which leads me to two new additions to the event.

In prior years, we have charged the participants a fee of $5 toward a period dinner on the Saturday of the event. This year, M-One will be providing enough money to purchase period rations! This includes boxes, yes, boxes of Mechanical Bakery's finest crackers. There will be an assigned 2 Commissary Sergeants (one of each persuasion, to be announced soon) who will be in charge of distribution to both sides. Done the period way.... on gum blankets. This being done, I would advise those who wish to bring food, do so only if you have health issues that pertain to your diet.

The second addition will be a uniform raffle. M-One will be donating two uniforms for a raffle for each side. The proceeds from the sale of tickets will go to the Civil War Preservation Trust as a donation from the event. The uniforms (which will be sent to the winners, due to accommodating sizes) will include the following:

Federal Confederate
1. Sack Coat 1. Richmond Depot, 'Type II' jacket
2. Federal Issue Shirt 2. Civilian-style Shirt
3. JT Martin Contract Trowsers 3. Richmond Depot Issue Trowsers
4. 2 pairs Fed. Issue Socks 4. 2 pairs Civilian-made Socks
5. Civilian style Drawers 5. Civilian style Drawers
6. Federal Forage Cap 6. Richmond Depot Kepi

I figure this will give some lucky fellows a jump-start in upgrading their impressions. BTW, these will be top of the line uniforms, no sutler row crap.

Uniform regulations will be passed along when they are finished. They will likewise be posted on the Amherst Museum's website.

This year we will also be switching up the layout of the camps. Federals will be behind the hedge row that the Confederates occupied last year. (Aka: where you parked and registered last year.) Confederates will occupy the Hoover House area.

Artillery: This year we will be limiting the Artillery to FULL SCALE pieces. I apologize to those who have smaller guns, but this is for safety and to limit the manuvering of the pieces. No 'running up' the guns to the front. We also will be limiting the number to four (4) guns per side, as the museum really doesn't have the room for much more.

Scenerios will be worked out by Mike Lavis and the Confederate commander. As of yet, there are no specifics as to the scenerio.

As we come closer to the event, there will be a walk-through with commanders, staff and company commanders who will field more than 25 men per company. A date is still to be decided on.

Reenactor registration is being handled by Gordon Porterfield
(da2gzt@aol.com).

Again, I apologize for not releasing this information sooner. Hope to see all of you there!

Sincerely,

Guy W. Gane III
Sinatrafan49thNY@aol.com
49th New York Company B
The Filthy Mess

Levi Battery
01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the information. I know we will be there. I would also like to use some of you information and spread the word to others that I know who will be in attendence.

John

Guy Gane III
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Please, by all means, spread the word!!

:D

Rob Weaver
01-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I've been wanting to do an event there since I toured the museum two years ago! We'll be there!

Guy Gane III
02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
4th Annual Living History at Amherst Museum, Amherst, NY.

Battles on Saturday & Sunday in & around period village. Dance instruction, drill instruction, civilian & military camps, Sunday period church service. Dismounted cavalry will be integrated with the 9th New York Cavalry, under Capt. Terry Schultz, period civilians invited. Daily rations will include salt pork, hardtack from Bents Baking Company (I had mentioned Mechanical Bakery, in the above notice, but I was unable to contact them), rice, coffee and several other period viddles. There will be a $6 registration, walk-ons $10 - so be sure to send in your individual or company's registration by May 16, 2007. Lots of reenactor amenities provided - wood, straw and ice! Camps will be set up in company streets (which will be marked off, on-site) and lots of parking! Uniform raffle, U.S. & C.S. from top makers - proceeds going to Civil War Preservation Trust.

Hosted by 33rd Virginia & 49th New York Infantry Regiments & Amherst Museum.

For information & registration, contact:

Confederate: Gordon Porterfield, (716) 510-8889, da2gzt@aol.com

Union: John Wall, (716) 823-6575, jtwall49thny@aol.com

Sutlers: Eric Samulski, (716) 689-1440, www.amherstmuseum.org.

I am still waiting on the announcement of the CS commander. When I have the info, so shall you.

Pards,

Guy Gane III
02-08-2007, 02:56 PM
The Federal guidelines for the Amherst Event, unfortunately, is too big of a file to upload. If you are interested in them, please message me or email me at Sinatrafan49thNY@aol.com.

CS regs will be posted soon.

Guy Gane III
03-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Attached are the Confederate guidelines. Sorry for the delay!

mrgrzeskowiak
03-08-2007, 06:56 PM
:confused: Is dismounted cavalry invited?

Guy Gane III
03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Pards,

I was just curious as to what units are planning on coming to Amherst. I was also interested to see who, from the Western New York area, is using this forum.

Just wondering!

Your pard,

TParker
03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Mr. Gane,

I have been in communication with Mike Lavis about possibly attending your event. Our Unit attempts to recreate Company K of the 136th NYVI, and we are located in the southern tier of Western New York. IF we can meet the published impression requirements, some of our members may attend, and I will be able to let you know for certain after our unit meeting April 12th.

YOS,

Guy Gane III
03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Terry, talk to you soon!

Rob Weaver
03-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Our unit is in Erie, PA and is likewise considering the event, as per Mr Parker's post above.