PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg 2006

jpbab
02-10-2006, 02:50 AM
Sorry to be so brief with my first post on a new web page but I am looking to join an Iron Brigade unit at Gettysburg 2006. (July 1,2,3)I will be on a family vacation from California.

Thanks.

Jeff

FWL
02-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Is there a Gettysburg 2006? I wasn't sure they were having them anymore. I was at a Potomac Legion Living History on the 140th in July, that was really good.

Frank Lilley

RobertSzabo
02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Yes there is a Gettysburg 2006, Here is the website:

http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/

Contact George Lomas at regimental quartermaster. He may be able to steer you toward someone.

If you come down to Fredericksburg while on your vacation let me know. I live in Fredericksburg and have a wet plate photo studio there.

tenfed1861
02-16-2006, 12:13 PM
So,how will they manage to farb up the reenactment this year?Make the whole event a carnival with lions?Maybe they'll let medieval knights participate and joust each other?
Cullen Smith
"Always looking on the negative side" Mess

wagen dawg
02-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Ahhhh...........you mean like having Pickett's Charge be over a stream and straight up a tall hill?
The only way organizers are going to get the message is, oh what the heck, they never will.
Oh, the humanity.

Tim

tenfed1861
02-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Maybe they will let WWII Airborne reenacotrs parachute in to the event for the fight at the Wheat Field.They let them,and the Wilington Rifles,participate for the Rememberance Day march acouple of years back.
Cullen Smith
"I never see the bright side" Mess

Ephraim_Zook
02-19-2006, 09:28 PM
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

tenfed1861
02-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Ron,
Imagination:much more fun then reality.
Cullen Smith

SgtTodd
02-21-2006, 01:12 PM
So,how will they manage to farb up the reenactment this year?

The usual way; they'll invite reenactors.

FWL
02-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Before I became a reenactor (but when I was thinking about it) my family and I attended one of those annual Gettysburg something fests as "no nothing" but enthusasic spectators. Not knowing what "campaigner or hard core" was we walked away from it thinking it was a CW carnival not a reenactment. The worst part was during the battle right in front of spectators was fat teenage kid with his hair dyed yelllow (punk fashion) sleeping under a cannon with headphones on. That just killed it for me. The only good part was when the 1st sarg. kicked his sorry A** out of there.

On positve side we met several reenactors that seemed real to us and did first person. We also listened to some excellent period musicians. We also had funnel cake-but hey we were spectators not reenactors. I did see reenactors in the funnel cake line!

As a reeanctor can't say that I would go to this, knowing what I know now.

tenfed1861
02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
I remember going to this event back in 2002.We walked the battlefield on the Sat.When we were near McPhearson's Woods,we started to hear art. fire and puffs of smoke.It was from the reenactment.It seemed cool on the battlefield because it made the experience somewhat eiree.When we went on Sunday,the staff were jerks.I guess I'll go to the 150 G'burg just cause of the size it would be.But I'll op for a living history on the battlefield and hang out in the town during that time.Maybe hike the battlefield and hang in town in period garb.Not sure.It's still afew years away.
Cullen Smith

Anders
02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
In 2008 there will be a Gettysburg worth attending.

Keep your ears to the ground.

nyczouave
02-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Chris,
If you're hinting that you might be involved in something in 2008, I will defintley keep my ears open. As we all know the potential for success when it's done right is always much higher and the proof is in the pudding (or the skillygallee if you will).
Keep us posted.