PDA

View Full Version : September Events ??

pvt_jb
01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Can anyone post the information they might have on the big events that are in September.

Mill Springs
September Storm
Antietam 145th

I have been to the Antietam and Sept Storm websites but I could not find one for Mill Springs. I am trying to plan my 07 event list and any information that would help on deciding which to attend would be very helpful.

Jeremy

Kevin O'Beirne
01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
That I know of, "Antietam 145th" and "September Storm" are the same event. Chris Anders has several threads on this very forum with the website for "September Storm" to the info isn't difficult to locate.

Info on Mill Springs can probably be easily found with a Google search and via the N-SA website.

Memphis
01-19-2007, 05:13 PM
The Mill Springs website is down for some reason, but this is a good place to go for North South Alliance information:

http://www.nsalliance.org/

pvt_jb
01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I have read the threads on the events that I could find and went to the site listed. I just wanted to get as much info as I could with three events to choose from (small chance I could do two). It looks to me that they are two separate events so maybe this thread could clear up some of that. The sept storm website is: http://www.wmhf.org/septstorm/index.html
and I found the 145th Antietam event here:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/antietam_2007/index.htm

Thanks for the update on the Mill Springs site, I guess that is why I could not find it.

Thank you for any info received in advance.

Jeremy

Memphis
01-19-2007, 06:53 PM
The big Chickamauga living history is also in September. Can't go to that one due to school but being on the actual battlefield would be cool.

Kevin O'Beirne
01-20-2007, 09:29 AM
The sept storm website is: http://www.wmhf.org/septstorm/index.html
and I found the 145th Antietam event here:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/antietam_2007/index.htm

My apologies: I was not aware of the "145th Antietam" event.

Given the folks commanding it, "145th Antietam" appears to be more likely the one with great opportunity for extended powder-burning and a more relaxed style of event. The "September Storm" event, in contrast--based on the record of its organizers--will have decently-scripted scenarios drawn from the history books.

Mill Springs, being an N-SA event, will probably be decent to attend if you like events with larger numbers.

If you can attend two of these three events, answer for yourself, what type of event do you wish to attend? I suspect that "Sept Storm" and Mill Springs will be similar in many respects: I suspect both will have maybe 2,000 or so participants and a basic level of quality, and decent scripts for the battle scenarios. I suspect all these events will top out at 2,000 or fewer participants, so none of them will be "huge". Based on the record of prior events, the N-SA has a good rep and Chris Anders's events that are "Sept Storm's" predecessors left a lot of happy & satisfied folks in their wake.

I can't comment on the "145th Antietam" event run by Birney's Division and PACS because I don't know anyone who has attended their events, and what little I do know is based on what I've read in forum posts.

Anders
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Kevin,

Thanks for the help. And there is a bit of confusion over this, so let me try to clarify.

The Antietam event held on September 15-16 in Bolivar WV is a non specator tactical event with a come one come all stance. I imagine there will be a fair amount of powder spent over the weekend for those looking for just that.

The 145th September Storm (7-9 of September) event is the Official 145th Anniversary event as recognized by Washington County, the South Mountain State Battlefield- with assistance from those two entities and the NPS at Antietam. This is a public event, with higher regulations and goals. It will feature heavily scriped and researched scenarios from both South Mountain (Saturday) and Antietam (Sunday). There will be participant only scenarios as well as public ones, and will be held on the same site as Summer of 62 and To the Gates of Washington. That site is near Keedysville MD, which is dead in the middle of South Mountain and Antietam. The reason the evnet is set for the 7-9 is that the NPS and State Park servie can support us and then their programs the following weekend.

I hope this helps a bit, as it seems folks are a bit confused. I will be glad to answer any questions for you if you email me at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com

Again- thanks to Kevin O'B for his assistance in clarifying this.

Pards,

RJSamp
01-22-2007, 11:29 AM
And just to clarify what Kevin OB stated. Powder burning (gobs of rifle muskets and cannon firing) is precisely what Antietam and the 3 South Mountain battles featured in 1862. Tens of thousands of casualties.....and over 1 million rounds of ammunition fired off.

Anders
01-22-2007, 11:47 AM
We are telling folks to come to September Storm prepared to fight. Bring rounds folks! Lots of them. There are 5 scenarios set for the weekend, so be ready.

When the term "powder burning" is used on the various fora, often it is refering to non scripted fights for the sake of such.

Pards,

Kevin O'Beirne
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
And just to clarify what Kevin OB stated. Powder burning (gobs of rifle muskets and cannon firing) is precisely what Antietam and the 3 South Mountain battles featured in 1862. Tens of thousands of casualties.....and over 1 million rounds of ammunition fired off.

RJ,

Thanks for clarifying that historical factoid. You really cleared up an important point that I think would have left a lot of folks really confused.

pvt_jb
01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the help Mr. O'Beirne and Mr. Anders. I know where I will be the second week in Sept :D

Jeremy Bevard

Stiggs
01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
"... precisely what Antietam and the 3 South Mountain battles featured in 1862. Tens of thousands of casualties... and over 1 million rounds of ammunition fired off."

And don't forget all the horses, George. Tell us again about the horses!