PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon should have listened...

cookiemom
01-17-2007, 07:59 AM
...to his mother, and eaten his broccoli:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070116/sc_livescience/mysteryofnapoleonsdeathsaidsolved&printer=1

tompritchett
01-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Having fresh broccoli is not the easiest thing to accomplish when one is constantly conducting military campaigns all across Europe. Now if he had been a pacifist instead a great military genus ...

Rob Weaver
01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm not convinced yet. Napoleon's British doctor didn't like him at all, and was afraid of him. I believe he was the same man who completed the autopsy. As I understand it, the doses of arsenic to which he was apparently exposed are extrememly corosive and cause massive ulcerations. There is some speculation that his fatal illness was the result of mold allergy from the home in St Helena, which was treated with large doses of medication which forms an arsenic-like chemical compound. The remaining question was whether it was intentional or not. Although I tend toward the latter interpretation, I'm not ready to go back to the original cause of death as having gotten it right yet. Napoleon was in relatively good health and physical activity when sent to St Helena, and maintained his health for a while. His decline and death were pretty rapid. We all have known people who were feeling fine in July and were being visited in viewings in December, but still I think there's more to Napoleon's death than meets the eye.