PDA

View Full Version : Percussion caps?

ekessler507
01-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Where are folks buying caps in bulk for reasonable prices? My units usual sources have dried up and we are quickly running out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Eric Kessler
83d PVI / 2d FL
Erie, PA

toptimlrd
01-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Caps have been in short supply for a while now although I am starting to see them again at events. As far as in bulk and for a reasonable price (very subjective), I know Dixie Gun Works had some recently but they were limiting purchases to two tins per customer. Finding them in bulk right now may be nearly impossible. Perhaps someone may have an update on the German import issue (Navy Arms is apparently out of the business now).

Ohioreb1861
01-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I've been buying them for $9 for 200 at a gun store. I heard about the shortage and bought a bunch, i'm supplied for 2 years:D

I hear from some of the sutlers that the are coming back and are a reasonable price.

reddcorp
01-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Ohioreb:

Just curious as to what type of caps you were able to purchase at a gunshop.
The shops around here only sell the CCI six-winged caps, which seem to be disfavored by most everyone.

A. Redd

Rachal
01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I cannot speak for Ohioreb, but I found a local gunstore that had (we bought all that he had!) RWS in stock. Apparently he doesn't sell that many musketcaps and had what he thought was a ten year supply. I spoke with a former sutler who recommended buying them from Regimental Quartermaster by the tube. He said that this is what he did last time. Wasn't worth the minimal price reduction to try and buy them wholesale. I purchase powder for my unit in bulk, but haven't found a wholesale source for caps that is any cheaper than sutler row.
P.S. I do not work for Regimental Quartermaster and am not recommending them over any other sutler. The gentleman that I spoke to just happened to be very specific about where he had been buying his.

Longshanks
01-28-2007, 10:18 AM
You can try Fair Oaks sutler.

www.fairoakssutler.com

He usually has the German caps in stock. They're $8.95, but his minimum shipping is $6.50, so you can spend a lot on a tin of caps by ordering them online. I've bought some from him in the past, and he's really fast in shipping them, and a nice guy to boot.

Regards,

bob 125th nysvi
01-28-2007, 06:44 PM
I cannot speak for Ohioreb, but I found a local gunstore that had (we bought all that he had!) RWS in stock. Apparently he doesn't sell that many musketcaps and had what he thought was a ten year supply. I spoke with a former sutler who recommended buying them from Regimental Quartermaster by the tube. He said that this is what he did last time. Wasn't worth the minimal price reduction to try and buy them wholesale. I purchase powder for my unit in bulk, but haven't found a wholesale source for caps that is any cheaper than sutler row.
P.S. I do not work for Regimental Quartermaster and am not recommending them over any other sutler. The gentleman that I spoke to just happened to be very specific about where he had been buying his.

contacted RQM they told me they can no longer sell caps mail order/internet.

I think it might be a PA law because you can still order caps from Dixie.

Can forward the email to anybody who doesn't beleive me (too bad cause I love dealing with them).

Rachal
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the update. I usually am able to make it to events to purchase them but was considering ordering them this time. Oh well, life happens.

harley_davis
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Gents,
It appears this may be an issue that will only get more difficult as laws/economics get tougher. From what I am being told by Cabela's where I used to get the German caps is that the company that aquired the former maker of caps, has decided that it is no longer ecomically feasible to manufacturer the 4 wing caps. The last bunch I got were leftover Navy Arms caps made in Brazil (or was it Bolivia). The question I have is, what if this source dries up and all we are left with is the 6 wing CCI caps? I know they are frowned upon by most everyone but I gotta wonder what the situation will be in 6 months or a year? The same appears to be true for the 10.75 German-made revolver caps.

I remain, respectfully,

You can try Fair Oaks sutler.

www.fairoakssutler.com

He usually has the German caps in stock. They're $8.95, but his minimum shipping is $6.50, so you can spend a lot on a tin of caps by ordering them online. I've bought some from him in the past, and he's really fast in shipping them, and a nice guy to boot.

Regards,

toptimlrd
01-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Gents,
It appears this may be an issue that will only get more difficult as laws/economics get tougher. From what I am being told by Cabela's where I used to get the German caps is that the company that aquired the former maker of caps, has decided that it is no longer ecomically feasible to manufacturer the 4 wing caps. The last bunch I got were leftover Navy Arms caps made in Brazil (or was it Bolivia). The question I have is, what if this source dries up and all we are left with is the 6 wing CCI caps? I know they are frowned upon by most everyone but I gotta wonder what the situation will be in 6 months or a year? The same appears to be true for the 10.75 German-made revolver caps.

I remain, respectfully,

Harley,

Myunderstanding from the vendors I get mine from is that the caps are once again available and coming in. There was a brief period last year where they were scarce due to who knows what now, but recently there has not been a problem in procuring either the German or Navy Arms caps.