PDA

View Full Version : Wade House event in Wisconsin needs your help.

hconverse
01-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Here is a note that I received from Jeff Murray about the Wade House event in Greenbush, WI.

Scott Sonntag

Members of the reenacting community,

I read with some dismay about the demise of the Green Bay event. Wade
House, too, has experienced some of the same issues at our event...
declining attendance, changes in leadership at the site, lack of
resources, etc. However, this winter we will hold the first ever open
meeting for reenactors (and others) to come and provide input for the
2007 event (which will be held on September 29 & 30).

The meeting is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 20 here at
the Wade House in the former Town Hall building (directly across the
street from the Wade House itself). It is open to all persons who have
an interest in the Wade House event. Following this meeting a committee
of reenactors representing all aspects of the hobby will be selected to
help guide the event to its conclusion in September.

It is my fervent belief that the Wisconsin Historical Society, the
Friends of Wade House, the Wade House staff, and the Sheboygan County
community would like to see this event GROW and not die out. Therefore
this is the time to give YOUR INPUT on the situation at hand and how we
can make things better, both for reenactors and the public spectators.

Thank you for your time.

Jeff Murray

JEBeedle
01-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Scott good to hear from you,

It seems that wade house is feeling what ever other event in CW reenacting. Low attendance.
Wade house is a good event and over the last few years we would love to attend but because of the NSA event is in the first weekend of October and Mill Springs at the end of September it is hard for us to attend Wade House.

RJSamp
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM

It seems that wade house is feeling what ever other event in CW reenacting. Low attendance.
Wade house is a good event and over the last few years we would love to attend but because of the NSA event is in the first weekend of October and Mill Springs at the end of September it is hard for us to attend Wade House.

Know what you mean (I only get 1 kitchen pass per month).....but the Mill Springs event the last week of September IS the NSA event for 2007......their isn't a first weekend in October NSA event in 2007.

But absolutely a big national near the same weekend as a smaller regional event will lower attendance......

Haven't been to Greenbush since September 2001....one of the harder Taps performances I've ever sounded.

jurgitemvaletem
01-13-2007, 06:43 PM
their isn't a first weekend in October NSA event in 2007.

I believe he was speaking of this past year, '06 with the 144th Pville event being the NSA event for the year, covering to seperate occasions in his one statement.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valeetm

JEBeedle
01-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I believe he was speaking of this past year, '06 with the 144th Pville event being the NSA event for the year, covering to seperate occasions in his one statement.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valeetm

Thank you Valeetm.

Although I still havenít heard any official word from division that Mill Springs is schedule for the last weekend of September.
Thatís another subject.

Mich8th
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Well I have been to every Wade House since I started reenacting. I have seen the decline in reenactors but also have seemed to see a increase of Spectators during a couple of the events. Unfourtunatly we got rained out in 05 and almost this past 06. Yes the National for us was only 1 week after but did that keep me from it (NO) I still drove 400 + miles one way to Wade House and enjoyed the time with everyone. I know that Scott, our Col. Darlin' and alot more Volunteers work very hard putting this together and make it one Great Event. I think what we need to do is just bite the bullet and make every effort to be there and support them. If you even have a civilian impression there is a very nice area for them to set up and give the commmunity a impression of how it was for them during that era. My hat is off to everyone involved with this reenactment. As a matter of fact I drive 200+ to every event just to be a part of the Great Black Hats and you can too.
Uncle Sumner

hconverse
01-14-2007, 11:32 AM

Good to hear from you too Joe.

We just had the dicussion about Mill Springs yesterday at our company meeting and I thought that it was the first weekend in Oct. but I have been known to be wrong.

Last years event suffered from $3.00 gas, to a new director at the site giving them a late start to their season, to huge storms near Chicago, to you name it. The other problem is that a lot of long running events suffer from what I like to call "Field of Dreams" syndrom. They figure is they have the event, reenactors will come. Just not true any more.

The event still offers one of the best sites in the midwest and the staff is recognizing that they need to get input so we are going put as good an effort forward to make it work.

Good to hear from you.

Scott Spmmtag

RJSamp
01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you Valeetm.

Although I still havenít heard any official word from division that Mill Springs is schedule for the last weekend of September.
Thatís another subject.

What does your Brigade say about it?

Here's the Mill Springs Event Site.

http://www.millsprings.net/upcoming_events.htm
http://www.millsprings.net/MILL2007.pdf

Rob Murray knows the date.

Many of us were talking about the September date (it's a revision from the normal October date because of the conflict with the Perryville Event.....Commonwealth of KY involvement) at October 2006 Perryville.

Congratulations Scott on your Colonelcy, well deserved.

JEBeedle
01-15-2007, 08:06 PM
The event still offers one of the best sites in the midwest and the staff is recognizing that they need to get input so we are going put as good an effort forward to make it work.

Good to hear from you.

Scott Spmmtag[/QUOTE]

I second that Scott.
I know that some day the boys from Minnesota will return to Greenbush.

JEBeedle
01-15-2007, 08:13 PM
What does your Brigade say about it?

Here's the Mill Springs Event Site.

http://www.millsprings.net/upcoming_events.htm
http://www.millsprings.net/MILL2007.pdf

Rob Murray knows the date.

Many of us were talking about the September date (it's a revision from the normal October date because of the conflict with the Perryville Event.....Commonwealth of KY involvement) at October 2006 Perryville.

Congratulations Scott on your Colonelcy, well deserved.

I am well aware of the date for Mill Springs and the last I heard from Mike Lavis was they were looking at some time in the summer but I just found out that was turned down.