PDA

View Full Version : GARRETT MISSISSIPPI musket question

William
03-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Hello,

I was directed to this site and the North-South(but they have yet to approve my request to join their board in order to post as I'm guessing guests are not allowed)

I was left this Mississippi and a Garrett Sharps by a friend of the family who has passed away. I have found all the info and pricing on the Garrett Sharps but have found nothing on this Garrett made Mississippi. It is a beautiful gun (as is the Sharps) w/ great wood to metal fit and looks like an original I saw. The barrel has 7 rifling marks and it has long range rewar sites. I was told this gunand the Sharps was used in some shooting competitions in Virginia. Can anyone help me with a price and where I might place it for sale on the net? I'm sure something this nice would bring better money then today's repro's?

Thanks to anyone that can help me. I don't have internet so I'll view posting from friends homes or the liabary.

William

Jim Mayo
03-14-2006, 08:07 AM
The problem with the Garrett Mississippi is that it doesn't meet the NSSA small arms committie criteria for use in skirmishes. They are usually great shooters and high qualitity but the distance from the first band to the end of the barrel is about a inch too long. This prevents them from being used by NSSA members who purchase many of the guns of this sort. I have had several and still own one. The last one I sold was for $400 for reenacting and deer hunting purposes.

RaiderANV
03-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Jim, I have a Garrett Mississippi burried in one of my safes that was used in the N-SSA and had a card on it. Was the problem with the Garretts something that could be corrected by moving the band or did wood have to be longer?

Pat - 7th VA

Jim Mayo
03-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Not sure. when I went to sell mine the person who wanted it asked the Small arms committee if it was approved. They came back and said No because of the distance from some part of the front band to the end of the barrel. Since I am not a skirmisher I didn't really look into it that much.