PDA

View Full Version : When I Was Your Age...

cookiemom
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
for MStuart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKk0iTtEgo

Belated Happy Birthday!

Ma

MStuart
01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I thank you, Miss Carole

Young whippersnappers should all call that one up on YouTube........instead of having to go out and buy the 45 rpm like we did!!!!!!!!

Thankless little twits!!!!!!! :-)

Mark

cookiemom
01-09-2007, 12:01 PM
... the 45 rpm ...
Mark
...or wax cylinder, for some of us ... ;)

Trooper Graham
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
After watching that and the mention about the TV reminded me of our first TV. The size of the screen was the same size as the mobile telephone screens are today.

Rob Weaver
01-09-2007, 08:44 PM
... or player piano roll :D

I can remember when we got 3 channels on TV, when the wind was blowing just right. When it wasn't, well, then you listened to the one station we got on the radio.

tompritchett
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Young whippersnappers should all call that one up on YouTube........instead of having to go out and buy the 45 rpm like we did!!!!!!!!

What about the 78 rpms?

Trooper Graham
01-09-2007, 09:13 PM
What about the 78 rpms?

Come to think about it, I do remember having a cell phone as a kid. The reception was OK as long as the string was not too long. :D

Mojo1842
01-09-2007, 10:49 PM
... or player piano roll :D

I can remember when we got 3 channels on TV, when the wind was blowing just right. When it wasn't, well, then you listened to the one station we got on the radio.

Unless the President was on, in which case you might as well go to bed early.

And lets not mention the test pattern....

Mojo1842
01-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Nuff said...

Mojo1842
01-09-2007, 11:01 PM
What were we talking about? I got distracted by the ultimate make out video and never even seen the one that I was supposed to watch:-?

Rob Weaver
01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
What about the 78 rpms?
... or even further back - 16 rpm?

sbl
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
That we could die at any minute in an Atomic War was so comforting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/ConelradLogo.jpg

http://www.popcultmag.com/oddglimpses/ephemera/nuclear/falloutshelter.gif

cookiemom
01-10-2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.popcultmag.com/oddglimpses/ephemera/nuclear/falloutshelter.gif
Haven't seen one of those in years...

In first grade I thought it was NORMAL to have air raid drills at school in DC (it was ALL new to me then.) Didn't know about the "Cuban Missile Crisis" until years later...

road_apple1861
01-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by sbl
http://www.popcultmag.com/oddglimpse...outshelter.gif

We have those signs pointing to our boiler room at school...
But instead of Air-Raid drills, We "youngsters" now get to enjoy "Lock-Downs" which do happen quite frequently.:( But oh well its just the society these days...

tompritchett
01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
That we could die at any minute in an Atomic War was so comforting.

You had to bring that up. Like hiding under a desk would protect you if a Nuc hit close by. According to McNamara we came extremely close to an all-out exchange with the Soviets three times - Berlin face-off, Cuban missle crisis, and one other time that he did not elaborate on. I have suspicions when the 3rd time might have been and from the various rumors and pieces that I have heard it may have been even closer than even the Cuban Missle crisis. From what we now know such an exchange would have likely wiped out almost all life on Earth with the few survivors being ocean based. Just not something that I like to remember.

Rob Weaver
01-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Remember the movie, "On the Beach?" Most chilling statement about nuclear war ever. Whenever I see a Coke bottle, it reminds me of it.

Mojo1842
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
You had to bring that up. Like hiding under a desk would protect you if a Nuc hit close by.
And assuming that you did survive the blast, having to eat that modern day hardtack that they found a stash of underneath the Brooklyn bridge a while back. :shock:
One of the things that I remember about the later part of that era was this kid that was in my seventh grade German class with me whose big thing was that we should...ahem, "BOMB RUSSIA" (direct quote). Just so happened that was the year that the movie "The day after" was on TV...after that was on we didn't hear a peep out of him for the rest of the year.

sbl
01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Last time I looked it was North American AIR Defense Command. That was when there was NORAD song which sounded a little like the Mighty Mouse theme song.

BTW Mojo1842, I was warned by a fellow back when The Day After came out that the KGB financed the ABC network production.

Trooper Graham
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
The closest thing to nuclear reality for me was sitting on a conatainer that contained an 8inch nuclear artillery shell. I served with an 8 inch artillery bn that was nuclear capable. Once a month under two man control an inventory had to be conducted ( to verify we hadn't used any :rolleyes: ). Entering the bunker every time was a step into reality and sitting on one of those containers and feeling the heat being radiated from what was within was a soothing relief for anyone suffering from hemoroids or wanted a painless vasectomy. :D
Everytime as I left and lock the bunker door I always hoped that it would always be opened just for the monthly inventory.

csuppelsa
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
We have those signs pointing to our boiler room at school...
But instead of Air-Raid drills, We "youngsters" now get to enjoy "Lock-Downs" which do happen quite frequently.:( But oh well its just the society these days...[/QUOTE]

Don't BS those. I've had to do one for real.

road_apple1861
01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I am not "BS" anything, if you are talking about the lock-downs we have them every year. last year there was a standoff at our school so we had one.
Then this year some kid brought a gun to school so we had another one. (also I wasn't BS the Fall out sign thats just where it points to go)

Micah Trent
01-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I work with youth every day for a living. Being a Youth Director, I know of several schools that practice "lock-downs". That way when one takes place, everyone would have a better understanding of what to do if one actually took place. From the feedback I have gotten from some of the kids, it is not fun and definately something not to joke with. Personally, to me, it is sad to see schools come to this. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that all schools will be required to drill in the near future.