PDA

View Full Version : Gilmor’s Raid

Chuck A Luck
01-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Gilmor’s Raid ~ Jerusalem Mill Village, Harford County, Maryland

Historic Jerusalem Mill Village, boasting buildings dating back to the 18th century, is hosting its 4th Annual Civil War Encampment on the weekend of July 14-15, 2007. The event commemorates CSA Major Harry Gilmor's 1864 raid on McCourtney's Store, one of several restored buildings still located in the village. In July of 1864, a portion of Major Gilmor’s command, the 1st and 2nd Maryland Cavalry, passed through the small settlement, stopping long enough at McCourtney's Store to requisition victuals and supplies and "liberate" fresh mounts. Gilmor’s command then continued on its way to burn the railroad bridge at Magnolia Station over the Little Gunpowder, where they encountered a company of 100-day Ohio militiamen.

Join us, in the scenic Little Gunpowder Falls State Park for our Civil War Weekend. Each day there will be a reenactment of Gilmor's raid as well as a more general demonstration of Civil War combat. Between battles visitors are urged to stroll through the camps, chat with reenactors, and have a closer look at their uniforms and equipment. Throughout the day Saturday period music will be performed by talented musicians, and Dan Toomey, a local historian, will be available to sign and discuss his book, The Johnson-Gilmor Raid. Refreshments will be available for a nominal charge.

Directions to the site and further information can be found at the Jerusalem Mill website ( www.jerusalemmill.org ). Select the “Gilmor’s Raid” link for information directly related to this event.

Due to the limited amount of space available and to maintain appropriate force ratios, attendance in 2007 is by invitation only. For further information, or if interested in attending, please contact Charles Kibler (cjkibler@comcast.net).

Anders
01-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I missed it last year, but will not do so again!

Pards,

Remise
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I missed it last year, but will not do so again!

Pards,

I was there the first and second year, and it keeps getting better. This year, this event should definitely be on my unit's schedule.

B.C. Milligan
Company K, First Penna. Reserves

dedogtent
01-10-2007, 10:52 PM
The 2nd Delaware had a blast there last year. A beautiful setting and Charlie was a great host. We hope to return.

The 2nd Delaware has a new website but still under construction...shameless plug...sorry. A special thanks to Ken Cornett and Eric Tipton for their help and permission to use some of their headings. Am I a brand new Web Master?...yup!

http://2nddelaware.homestead.com/

Chuck A Luck
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Just a "bump" for this event announcement.

dedogtent
03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
The 2nd Delaware will be there Charlie.