PDA

View Full Version : Use of period currency

PaleoJohn
01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Help......What are your requirements of currency during a reenactment? Just to carry in wallets....get paid by paymasters...pass out at events? We at www.reproductionz.com are looking to offer currency in sizes to suit your needs. We realize not to many soldiers carried $1000 dollar bills. Therefor we have been limiting our reinactor sets to $20 and below denominations. Also.....during the war ...at least in the Union...almost any States notes would have been carried.....Any thoughts or insights made to us would be welcomed and appreciated. Theres an email link to us on our site. We already make the finest and most realistic reproductions available. Help us design these sets to better suit your needs.
Respectfully,
John,
Reproductionz.net

Rob Weaver
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Print a lot of the denominations of less than a dollar. I like the 10 cent bill that you could cut the picture out of and use for a stamp. Those small denominations are nice for card games and chuck-a-luck playing. A private can go through $13 in 4 or 5 rolls of the dice if the bills are $1 or more. Small denominations makes for a better game.

jurgitemvaletem
01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I second the small denominations. Those ranging from 10 cents to $1would be most practical for common field use. The mostcommon that would have been seen being carried by military personal would be a union greenback, I highly suggest that you start with these.A quality reproduction money in large quantities for a reasonable price would be a great addition to any impression or entire scenario.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

Provost
01-09-2007, 11:29 PM
You are selling new merchandise, which belongs on Sutler Row.

Please also confirm that you are not reproducing Union Greenbacks. It is my understanding that this would be in violation of the law and can attract the attention of the Secret Service, no matter how well intentioned.

Respectfully,

Provost

PaleoJohn
01-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys. This is just the kind of imput we were looking for. As for the quantity of greenbacks for the Union.....Greenbacks didnt appear till later. However we have made several sets of period Union notes with two new sets slated for tomorrow JUST for Union reenactments. On your suggestions we are looking into a set of small denomination.

PaleoJohn
01-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Dear Provost.
I have been on the phone with the Secret Service and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing many times and I can assure you we are in FULL compliance with all laws. In addition...we are also in full compliance with the hobby and protection act. All notes are marked copy on the back. It is the later US notes...NOT the obsoletes that are a problem. THEY can only be produced 1 sided and either below 3/4 size or above 1-1/2 times size. I DO understand your concerns. However....rest assured they dont apply to these notes. Thanks.

PaleoJohn
01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
A quick note: We are getting many requests for Greenbacks. Its is currently unlawful for us to produce federal currency at full size. If the law ever changes we will be happy to do so. Until then the Obsoletes will have to do.
John

Memphis
01-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Shinplasters. More shinplasters, please.

willeichler
01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
John,

As currency is your bag, why not look into another form of currency in some camps, especially Federal? I'm referring to sutler chits. Each original that I have seen was given a money value (I've seen 5cent, 10cent and 50 cent) which addresses the "keep the value small" comment by Rob. Also, since it's not US currency, you can do a full size reproduction in the proper color though I'd ask that a small blemish (such as the word "copy" ) still be printed in a fairly inconspicuious yet identifiable place.

My 2 cents worth (yes, the pun is intended).

Cheers,

Will Eichler

Trooper Graham
01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sure John has all intentions in reaching everyone in the hobby that has a need of something in the way of period money usage.
I can't say for sure but I think John went with the higher bill denomination in Illinois currency first for my need in providing a better impression at LH events whether in town celebrations or schools. I plan on enlisting a whole bunch of 8 & 9 year old future Farbs...:D :D :D the least I can do is start early improving their kit by paying them 20% of the state bounty in authentic period state currency. ;)

PaleoJohn
01-11-2007, 08:40 AM
On your suggestions I've been working on a mixed set of shinplasters and Suttler chits. Hope youll all enjoy. I'll post when finnished. Thanks for the responses.
John

BobSullivanPress
01-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't mean to be the elephant in the punchbowl here, but I've been selling reproduction Federal currency, with the approval of the Secret Service, for 4 years now, in the following denominations.

5 cents
10 cents
25 cents
50 cents
$1
$2
$5
$10

All of these notes first appeared for real in the summer of 1862.

http://www.sullivanpress.com/images/CivilImages/Money01.jpg

For what it's worth, the Watchdog magazine likes my Federal Currency too, From the index of articles on their site:
Currency, US from Sullivan Press (Prod. Review) Vol. 10, No. 3

PaleoJohn
01-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Bob. Please excuse me for being the bearer of BAD news. I used to produce Fractional currency also. I was told by the Secret Service to STOP! The fractionals and the other US currency you are producing ARE illegal! They HAVE to be less than 3/4 size or greater than 1 1/2 times. ALSO they can be printed on one side only. Now I realize many people are getting away with this on Ebay etc , but the law is the law. We are talking about bringing a new law up for consideration and have a congessperson in mind however until such a law is passed we CANNOT produce those. period. You may want to call the secret service again before falling to thier wrath.
Sincerly,
John

PaleoJohn
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Bob, You got me thinking they may have been a new law I wasn't aware of and just called the Secret Service once again. HERES the LAW plain and simple:

Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations permits the printing, publishing or importation, or the making or importation of the necessary plates or items for such printing or publication, of color illustrations of U.S. currency provided that:

1. The illustration must be of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of any matter so illustrated;

2. The illustration must be one sided; and

3. All negatives, plates, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof shall be destroyed and or deleted or erased after their final use in accordance with this section.

Hope this helps.

Provost
01-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for making that clear. Glad you're here.

PaleoJohn
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
to Provost: who do we see about possibly getting a link on the suttler list here? I think we have much to offer in our area. We are also willing to work with members to cater to specific needs. Thanks for any consideration in advance.
John