PDA

View Full Version : Children's Boots

EFA
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm having the hardest time finding anything even closely resembling period correct children's shoes/boots for my little girls. I make their clothes but am by no means a shoe maker. Any assistance that could be given would be most appreciated.

billtyrell
01-08-2007, 07:50 PM
We went through the period of having our children in camp from ages 4-14 and did the following. My wife made cloth shoes for my daughter by sewing leather soles to cloth uppers. My sons wore brogans starting with men's size 5 or 6, at first they were a little big but later they grew out of them quickly and soon needed larger shoes then their uncle or father. Robert Land makes ladies and men's shoes in both civilian and military and he can make some of the smaller sizes. As far as cost goes we would sell them off as the grew out of them to other reenactors with children so it wasn't as costly as you would think. In fact by the time the boys were 12 and 14 we sold them to soldiers as there were older men with smaller feet because it seems like teenagers these days are growing bigger feet.

Dave Ward

EFA
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
That seems very sensible. Thanks Dave! I appreciate the tips. I did find something that looks like it might work out, what do you think?

http://www.statelinetack.com/media/slt/images/products/detail/standard/original_imgs/in650681_17ca5.jpg

They would have to be modified slightly, but paddock boots seem to be the closest I can get without making them myself. Although that's an option.

ElizabethClark
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
With children's shoes, unless you're able to convince one of the custom makers to do small sizes, and willing to pay for that highly skilled labor, "paddock" boots are one of the least obtrusive options. 100% leather, with leather soles; the speed-lace hooks can be removed and replaced by any competent boot repair shop. They're not a 100% period style, but they are passable, and preferable to high-gloss vinyl hiking boots or thongs. And, being unisex, they're easy to pass down.

J Goza
01-15-2007, 12:44 AM
I have to agree with Elizabeth. Children's shoes are the hardest thing to come by and be correct. Our daughters first overnight reenactment was at 3 months old. She is turning 9 next month, and we have been looking for somebody who will do correct shoes the whole time. I'm lucky now, she's almost in a womens size 5!

Upon some advice, and a little research, the best thing I came up with is a paddock boot, or a maryjane type shoe. People seem to be a little forgiving of children's shoes, because they know they are hard to find, but do the best you can.

The other thing you might be able to find is some type of black boot at Walmart or some other chain stores. Don't go shiney either. Try to do leather, as it will breath better in the summer too. English style paddock boots (Lace up not zip) are best, or western ropers are ok too. Look on Ebay, or at English or Western Tack Shops.(Horse stuff)

Remember, you can always resell the boots too. It has worked out well for us!

Good luck

Joan Goza

EFA
01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Joan! I think the paddock boots will end up working nicely. I just dread using the Chinese slippers that nearly all suttlers sell because they aren't the most accurate. Especially with the red sole. My little ones are both turning two next month and their first reenactment will be in the fall. I may hold off on getting the paddock boots until they are a little older. I can't wait to get them started! :D