PDA

View Full Version : Oops, I did it again...

Frenchie
01-06-2007, 11:50 PM
A short while ago on another forum I did a mea culpa about letting my big mouth (well, fingers) get out of control. Then I came here and did it again.

I don't apologize for having my opinions - I'll be damned before letting anyone tell me they're invalid or stupid or wrong, because I defended them (and yours, too) with my life. But the English language is nothing if not wonderfully flexible, and there are ways to say things without giving offense to any but those who are looking for offense (and you know who you are, don't you?).

So, I'm going to try - really try this time - to think two or three times first. Let's see how long I can keep it up this time. Okay, it's 9 minutes to midnight... :D

MStuart
01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
What makes America great is the ability to actually have and post an opinion that may differ from others without looking over your shoulder and awaiting a knock on the door from some guys in trenchcoats.

Respectful debate is a good thing! We may have differing opinions on a few things, but in the dead of night, over a cup a hot joe in the middle of nowhere at an event, I'd betcha we have a lot in common.

Mark

Even though you're a blue bellied barn burner :-)

Trooper Graham
01-07-2007, 09:44 AM
What makes America great is the ability to actually have and post an opinion that may differ from others without looking over your shoulder and awaiting a knock on the door from some guys in trenchcoats.

Mark

:-)

Mark, How many domestic disputs does your department asnswer on a weekly basis compared to 20 years ago, 40 years ago?

MStuart
01-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Sam:

A good answer would require getting into the statistical database. Off hand, though, I'd say the numbers through the years have stayed pretty much steady (at least in my experience). Week-ends the numbers tend to spike higher than, say, Monday's and Tuesday's. Alcohol plays a big part in domestic violence incidents.

Mark

tompritchett
01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Alcohol plays a big part in domestic violence incidents.

And why does this not surprise me?

Mark, I seriously wonder what are the odds of having ordinances which automatically penalize anyone who brandishs a firearm during a dispute while under the influence of alcohol. We do the same with autos and I think that everyone here will agree that alcohol and firearms do not mix, especially when tempers are becoming heated - and no I am not necessarily advocating gun control but merely responsible gun ownership.

brown30741
01-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Tom always seems to me to be the voice of reason on these social issues. That's not gun control, it's common sense.
Lindsey

MStuart
01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I seriously wonder what are the odds of having ordinances which automatically penalize anyone who brandishs a firearm during a dispute while under the influence of alcohol.

I know of none on the books here in Pa. Certainly, there are times when it is proper to seize a weapon. All depending, of course, on the incident, and the "constitutionality" of the seizure. Believe it or not, there are many safeguards in place that prevent the seizure of weapons.

Here's some food for thought: In Pa. (except for cases of domestic violence, some theft cases, and a couple in the vehicle code) any misdemeanor NOT committed in the presence of a police officer is not subject to immediate arrest. The officer must apply to a proper authority for an arrest warrant and, if approved, proceed from there. Additionally, there are also some lesser misdemeanor's that, even though witnessed by an officer, are not subject to a "physical" arrest, i.e. a night in the pokey. These are handled through a "summons" procedure. For instance, a person could be driving drunk on their arse, cause a 4 car pile-up that injures 5, and, if they meet the requirements set in the summons law, can go on home after they've completed their alcohol breath test vice spending a night in the gray-bar hotel awaiting preliminary arraignment.

Mark

tompritchett
01-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Here's some food for thought: In Pa. (except for cases of domestic violence, some theft cases, and a couple in the vehicle code) any misdemeanor NOT committed in the presence of a police officer is not subject to immediate arrest. The officer must apply to a proper authority for an arrest warrant and, if approved, proceed from there. Additionally, there are also some lesser misdemeanor's that, even though witnessed by an officer, are not subject to a "physical" arrest, i.e. a night in the pokey. These are handled through a "summons" procedure. For instance, a person could be driving drunk on their arse, cause a 4 car pile-up that injures 5, and, if they meet the requirements set in the summons law, can go on home after they've completed their alcohol breath test vice spending a night in the gray-bar hotel awaiting preliminary arraignment.

Sounds like we in PA need to push for some judical reform, especially in regards to the last instance you mentioned. A drunk that has caused an accident is an obvious continued menance to public safety until he/she fully sobers up because there is no assurance that the idiot won't get behind the wheel again. His/her drunken state did not stop him/her the first time so why should something like an accident stop them the second time.

In regards to warrants, are their judges "on-call" from which warrants can be quickly obtained and regardless, how long does it typically take to get a warrant in hand? If the officer knows that a warrant has been issued and is transport to the site, does the officer have the autority to detain the suspect at the site pending the warrant's arrival?

MStuart
01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
In regards to warrants, are their judges "on-call" from which warrants can be quickly obtained and regardless, how long does it typically take to get a warrant in hand? If the officer knows that a warrant has been issued and is transport to the site, does the officer have the autority to detain the suspect at the site pending the warrant's arrival?

Tom:

In every county, a warrant can be obtained quickly under "exigent" (I hope I spelled that right) circumstances.

For the second question, the answer is yes. An officer doesn't neccessarily have to have a copy of a warrant "in hand" to make an arrest. As long as a warrant is formally "issued" and signed is good enough to make an arest. That being said, a copy of the warrant is required in the arrest paperwork filed upon lodgement at the lock-up.

The timeliness of obtaining warrants may, or may not differ with the municipality. Here in the 'burgh, under normal circumstances, let's say for a misdemeanor assault, a warrant can take roughly 24 hours from the time the officer applies until he has it signed and processed through the court.

In more FWIW: The US military is quite "liberal" in some of their criminal justice paperwork (at least through 1993 when I retired there). It was quite common to obtain an exigent circumstances search warrant with nothing more than a phone call to a base commander. I can recall doing this many times. One did have to follow-up with paper, though, after the fact.

Mark

Frenchie
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
You know, actually, I was thinking about my rant re corpulent reenactors... :D

Frenchie
01-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Respectful debate is a good thing! We may have differing opinions on a few things, but in the dead of night, over a cup a hot joe in the middle of nowhere at an event, I'd betcha we have a lot in common.

True, that.

Even though you're a blue bellied barn burner :-)

My Lovely Bride and I are moving to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley the end of February. I can't wait, going to crawl all over New Market, Cross Keys, Winchester, Kernstown, etc. I figure I'll be okay as long as I don't say anything good about David Hunter or Phil Sheridan. :D

"Hey, nice barn. Be a shame if anything happened to it..." :D

MStuart
01-07-2007, 11:44 PM
My Lovely Bride and I are moving to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley the end of February.

You, sir, are the luckiest of dogs.

Mark

MStuart
01-07-2007, 11:46 PM
"Hey, nice barn. Be a shame if anything happened to it..." :D

I take it you'll be on a weekly lease?

Mark

Mojo1842
01-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey Mark- whats up with that funky FIRE POLICE thing that you guys have in PA...we saw some coming back from GBurg last year and wondered wht kind of jurisdiction they might have.

MStuart
01-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Scott:

I have limited knowledge of them since we don't have them in Pittsburgh. But I'm fairly certain that they are most prevalent in the smaller jurisdictions that use volunteer fire fighters. They're VFD members who are utilized at fire scenes for, among other things, traffic control, protection of fire apparatus and crowd control at those scenes handled by the VFD. Jurisdictions that don't have large police departments benefit a great deal from them.

We may have some volunteer firefighters on the board that have lots more knowledge than I.

Mark

Mojo1842
01-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Scott:

I have limited knowledge of them since we don't have them in Pittsburgh. But I'm fairly certain that they are most prevalent in the smaller jurisdictions that use volunteer fire fighters. They're VFD members who are utilized at fire scenes for, among other things, traffic control, protection of fire apparatus and crowd control at those scenes handled by the VFD. Jurisdictions that don't have large police departments benefit a great deal from them.

We may have some volunteer firefighters on the board that have lots more knowledge than I.

Mark
That was my thought and it seems to make sense

Frenchie
01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
You, sir, are the luckiest of dogs.

And don't I know it? :)

I take it you'll be on a weekly lease?

Heh. Nope, they'll be stuck with me for a good long while. I'm a Damnyankee, came and stayed.

Hey, what's this with Virginians saying Marylanders are Yankees? Maryland is south of the Mason & Dixon Line, it was mostly secessionist, and the first Yankee blood of the War was shed in Baltimore. My Lovely Bride is a Baltimore girl and she says if now was then, she'd be throwing bricks at the Yankees too.

Mojo1842
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Aren't you worried about the reception that you'll get from your neighbors? I'm sure that no matter how hard you try they'll find out that you wear blue. It would be a shame to come home some night and find a flaming bust of Lincoln in your yard.

MStuart
01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
My Lovely Bride is a Baltimore girl and she says if now was then, she'd be throwing bricks at the Yankees too.

Frenchie:

Our wives would get along just fine. Let us hope they never meet.

Mark

CivilWarBuff1863
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Frenchie,

You said you were going to crawl all over Winchester right? Well perhaps you can do me a small favor in case you do that.

If you happen to go to the National Cemetary please look up my ancestor:

John Layton
Enlisted with the 138th PVI. Co. D
Died Oct. 6, 1864 of disease

If you can manage to get a pic of his headstone I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Trooper Graham
01-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Frenchie,

You said you were going to crawl all over Winchester right? Well perhaps you can do me a small favor in case you do that.

If you happen to go to the National Cemetary please look up my ancestor:

John Layton

If you can manage to get a pic of his headstone I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Frenchie, I'll take a photo of Patsy Cline's grave. ;)

Frenchie
01-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Aren't you worried about the reception that you'll get from your neighbors?

****, I'm going to be practicing the manual of arms in full kit out on the lawn! :D

This'll be on the front of the house:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/Darkfold_2006/Guywithamusket.jpg

And anyway, the real estate agent tells me half the folks there are transplanted Yankees who moved to get away from the craziness; they were headed south when they ricocheted off Northern Virginia.

Frenchie
01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Our wives would get along just fine. Let us hope they never meet.

Yes, they can be very dangerous in groups :rolleyes: :D

Frenchie
01-09-2007, 04:04 PM
If you happen to go to the National Cemetery please look up my ancestor:

John Layton

If you can manage to get a pic of his headstone I'd sure appreciate it.

I didn't know there was a National Cemetery in Winchester. I'm putting this on the To Do list!

Frenchie
01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Frenchie, I'll take a photo of Patsy Cline's grave. ;)

Oh, man, that's going on the To Do list too!

I'm crazy for trying
And crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you...

dclarry
01-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey, what's this with Virginians saying Marylanders are Yankees? Maryland is south of the Mason & Dixon Line, it was mostly secessionist, and the first Yankee blood of the War was shed in Baltimore. My Lovely Bride is a Baltimore girl and she says if now was then, she'd be throwing bricks at the Yankees too.

So, what are we who live in the District? Yankees, I guess.... or just stupid for living in the District.

cookiemom
01-09-2007, 05:33 PM
So, what are we who live in the District? Yankees, I guess.... or just stupid for living in the District.
I was born and raised in DC, and always considered myself a "Northerner." [One of the 'ring forts' was a block from my house and as kids my brother and I spent hours "defending the city from Rebs" with our sticks...]
I was surprised (to say the least) to discover recently that, as a Maryland suburb-dweller, I am now assumed to have "Southern" sympathies. :rolleyes:

Trooper Graham
01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, man, that's going on the To Do list too!

I'm crazy for trying
And crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you...

Frenchie, There is someone with a bit more fame, military historical, buried in Winchester. Anyone that reencacts the F&I and Rev War and acts the part of a militia rifleman knows this man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan

dclarry
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I was born and raised in DC, and always considered myself a "Northerner." [One of the 'ring forts' was a block from my house and as kids my brother and I spent hours "defending the city from Rebs" with our sticks...]
I was surprised (to say the least) to discover recently that, as a Maryland suburb-dweller, I am now assumed to have "Southern" sympathies. :rolleyes:

I'm easy walking distance from the Fort DeRussy site, and a long walk from the Fort Reno site. In fact, after we moved here 10 years ago, this is one of the reasons I became more interested in the Civil War in the first place.

Actually, I really like DC. But I work out in suburban MD, and am the only one in my 200-person firm that lives in DC. I am always having to defend my choice.

I have always thought of myself as a Northerner, but I am a transplant from NY where 'Southern' sympathies are rare.

cookiemom
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm easy walking distance from the Fort DeRussy site, and a long walk from the Fort Reno site. In fact, after we moved here 10 years ago, this is one of the reasons I became more interested in the Civil War in the first place.

Alas, we lived near the more obscure Fort Bunker Hill site. I went looking for information about it (RESEARCH ?) and found:

1) http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/civilwar/hrst.htm

2) http://www.worldhistorymaps.com/CW/local/index.htm -- "Maps For Every Day of the Civil War"

3) http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y05Y4332272Y9137560/102-8562889-9114544 -- "Interactive Historical Atlas of the Civil War" (DVD or CD)

[Moderators: I apologize if this information should be in a different thread...but I think it's too interesting to be selfish with it... :rolleyes:]