PDA

View Full Version : strange tent

rayman
12-29-2006, 06:06 AM
http://www.civil-war.net/cw_images/files/images/236.jpg
looking at the above link, does anyone have any info on the tent to the extreme right in the picture ? it appears to be a six sided top with a wooden frame and cross braces holding up every other side .

DaveGink
12-29-2006, 10:17 AM
That is interesting. It almost looks like an early form of "pop-up". I think it has a 4-sided top though...not six. At least to my eyes.

GaWildcat
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Ive seen this picture a thousand times and never really looked at that tent. Its interesting to say the least.... looks like some kind of pop up awning... like the picnic shelters some folks have nowadays. Its amazing how much we miss in pictures untill someone else catches it!

LadyReb
12-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I have always been curious about the striped tent on page 182 in the book Touched By Fire, a photographic history of the war.

bob 125th nysvi
12-29-2006, 03:02 PM
is in the way but I don't think this is a "tent" because I don't see a pole coming down from the corner facing us (or the one behind him).

Lacking corner poles it would then have a center pole to support it, it might be some kind of 'umbrella' arrangement and therefore a civilian device that has been 'reallocated' for military use.

The stands under the 'tent' remind me of the kinds of things great grandma would hang clothes on indoors to dry. If it was a laundress' tent it would make sense that the sides would go up in order to allow air to flow through to dry out the was.

Bob sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

Bummer
12-29-2006, 03:19 PM
That's a photo of the 93rd NY and is one of a long series of photos taken at the same site. Some of the other images are taken quite close to that 'tent' in question and in them it can be seen that it is really a fly or some such rigged out as an awning with tables and chairs within. Sort of like their use of the huge US flag as an awning.