PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Forage Cap (II)

Trooper Graham
12-28-2006, 03:14 PM
I know most eveyone has their favorite so I would like a fair and neutral opinions. I have read many recommendations for just about everyone who makes the 1858 forage cap except about Joel Bohy. I understand CJ Daley is the one that offers his work. Correct me if I'm wrong in anyway but I understand that both B Kuene and K Semanick only produce the type I and both J Bohy and N Sekela produce both I & II. I have been told also that N Sekela's hats are slightly a lighter blue. I'm only looking for a Type II, square bill and larger disc. I ask, who can supply a good one?

Thanks

JerseySkilletLicker
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately, Joel is one of those makers who pops up and then disappears every now and again, so his hats will only be found on the used market if indeed at all.
All of the above makers make both the "Type I and Type II" caps. Please note that "typing" is a recent way for collectors to identify original caps which has found its way into the reenactors lexicon. It in no way is a period term as both "styles" of forage cap were available simultaneously. The difference is basically a contractor variant.
You can add Greg Stabuck to the list, mostly known for kepis, he produces a nice Federal forage cap. Don Smith also produces caps as well as a gentleman who produces caps for me.
NJ Sekela's cap is an excellent choice. I do not know where the "lighter shade" of blue came from but Mr. Sekela uses excellent broadcloth for his caps and are in every way a correct reproduction, right down to the chin strap hardware.

Trooper Graham
12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, Joel is one of those makers who pops up and then disappears every now and again, so his hats will only be found on the used market if indeed at all.
All of the above makers make both the "Type I and Type II" caps. Please note that "typing" is a recent way for collectors to identify original caps which has found its way into the reenactors lexicon. It in no way is a period term as both "styles" of forage cap were available simultaneously. The difference is basically a contractor variant.
You can add Greg Stabuck to the list, mostly known for kepis, he produces a nice Federal forage cap. Don Smith also produces caps as well as a gentleman who produces caps for me.
NJ Sekela's cap is an excellent choice. I do not know where the "lighter shade" of blue came from but Mr. Sekela uses excellent broadcloth for his caps and are in every way a correct reproduction, right down to the chin strap hardware.

thanks joe, I am aware that the term I and II is indiginous to the hobby but it seems it's the faster way to describe which maker model you're looking for. I forget to mention G Starbuck and Don Smith. Shame there is not the convience of having everyone's in front of you and then pick the one you want. I did see either here or on that 'AC' forum a photo of B Kuene's work when a type I came up for sale and I would have grabbed it up but it was too big. If his type II is just as nice then I will go with him.

Cheers

Trooper Graham
12-28-2006, 04:20 PM
I forgot also to mention Dirty Billy. Anyone have or care to comment on his type 2, L J & I Phillips Co model that he offers?

Cpt Boone
12-28-2006, 10:57 PM
You may also want to look at the information Nick provides on his site.

http://www.njsekela.com/typeII/typeII.html

http://www.njsekela.com/issuecaps/issuecaps.html

Hope this helps.

Trooper Graham
12-28-2006, 11:15 PM
You may also want to look at the information Nick provides on his site.

http://www.njsekela.com/typeII/typeII.html

http://www.njsekela.com/issuecaps/issuecaps.html

Hope this helps.

You have a Sekela II in stock in size 7 1/8 or 7 1/4?

Bummer
12-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I have an original G & S made 'type II' forage cap that is in almost unissued condition, and I must say that the lighter blue of Sekela's caps match the color of this one right on. I have other original forage caps (type I's) and they appear darker than my particular Type II. I don't know if it is a contract variation or what, but of all the reproduction forage caps I have (quite a few) the Sekela one comes the closest to the shade of my original Type II one. Now Granted I only have the G & S one so who knows what other original contractors were using, but at least this one contract matches the Sekela 'lighter color' right on.
If one were lucky enough (as I have been) to be able to toss over twenty original Union blue uniform items in a pile on a table, one would be amazed at the variety of color blue there is.

chase196126
12-29-2006, 09:35 PM
One thing I would add about Mr. Starbucks caps. I have seen 2, one my own and one a friends, and they are both a very very dark blue, almost black color. Interestingly though, when caught on camera both caps shine a very nice blue color. Just a consideration for you.

Chase Pinkham

Trooper Graham
12-30-2006, 01:20 PM
For those of you that are young with perfect eyesight is this a type I or II? The body looks fuller and the crown looks bigger but I can't tell by the bill.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2l8vgbs.jpg