PDA

View Full Version : 17th Michigan Marker at Fox's Gap

Quickstep
05-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I was walking the dogs up on S. Mtn. today, and I noticed the historical marker for the 17th Michigan was not in its old location where the AT crosses Reno Monument Rd. Maybe it's been gone a while, but I just noticed it. Anyone know if it's been moved and where? I didn't see it up there...here's what it looks like:

http://www.southmountain.stonesentinels.com/MI17.php

pvt_jb
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
It has been almost two years since I have been there. I have heard talk for years of it being moved to be clear of the trail. I sent a message to a man that was involved in placing the marker. I saw him this weekend and he mentioned then the marker could be moved. I wonder where it was or will be placed.

Quickstep
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
It has been almost two years since I have been there. I have heard talk for years of it being moved to be clear of the trail. I sent a message to a man that was involved in placing the marker. I saw him this weekend and he mentioned then the marker could be moved. I wonder where it was or will be placed.

Just received an update from someone who knows its status: "The AT wanted it off the trail and South Mountain Battlefield took it down and put it in storage. I believe a new spot for it is being discussed."

I was afraid someone had stolen it or vandalized it so badly it had to be removed. Thankfully, that is not the case.