PDA

View Full Version : Civil war modern day bands

Artillery 1861
05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Hope this fits in this category, but if not feel free to move it to the correct spot. But I was looking for some good CW music to listen too. I have 2nd Car. String band albums, but would like to find some federal music as well.. Brass band and big marches is what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

Spinster
05-24-2012, 11:15 AM
http://www.5thalabamaband.org/index.htm

3rd_PA_Artillery
05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
The Camp Chase Fifes and Drums are excellent if you're looking for marches.
http://www.campchasefifesanddrums.com/

I personally recommend the 46th Pennsylvania Regimental Band. They're an excellent brass band from my region. I believe you could order a CD from the contact info at the bottom of the page.
http://46thparegband.50webs.com/media.html

Murph
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Try the Federal City Brass Band/26th North Carolina Regimental Band. They really know how to work the brass.

http://www.jvmusic.net/FCBB.html

Ross L. Lamoreaux
05-24-2012, 12:34 PM
97th Regimental String Band www.the97th.com

RJSamp
05-24-2012, 01:02 PM
97th Regimental String Band www.the97th.com

I didn't know they played brass instruments Ross? {The posters question: Brass band and big marches is what I am looking for. Any suggestions? }

Artillery 1861
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info. This is a good place to start looking. Big Brass or not, Just something to put in the collection is what I am looking for.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I didn't know they played brass instruments Ross? {The posters question: Brass band and big marches is what I am looking for. Any suggestions? }

Well, since you made it a point to become a volunteer moderator, they have done arrangements of marches in past performances as a form of showing soldier adaptation in camp music. No brass, but the original poster did ask about marches.

11thVACoG
05-24-2012, 03:30 PM
some real good bands posted. thanks for sharing links:cool:

Slowfoot
05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
You should go here: wbtsradio.com. It's streaming radio of war era music.

Artillery 1861
05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks to all for the suggesitons and to Slowfoot for the station.. That is just what the doctor ordered.

ForbesCatalina
09-11-2012, 08:59 AM
wow, thanks for the link, Spinster
like this a lot

___
moderator note: URL removed.

JerseyMike
11-15-2012, 06:31 PM
If I may modestly suggest my own group, The Libby Prison Minstrels. 5 piece string based with 3 part harmonies. Northern and Sourthern songs, lots of old timey tunes and a strong foundation in Irish related songs and tunes. We have played a pile of great locales. We have stuff on Youtube and can be found online. Thanks

eric marten
12-08-2012, 09:36 AM
If I may modestly suggest my own group, The Libby Prison Minstrels. 5 piece string based with 3 part harmonies. Northern and Sourthern songs, lots of old timey tunes and a strong foundation in Irish related songs and tunes. We have played a pile of great locales. We have stuff on Youtube and can be found online. Thanks

I looked at some of your photos and videos. Looks interesting. What are the strings on your string instruments made of?

Eric Marten

eric marten
12-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Just curious, because I know gut strings for string basses can be quite expensive.

Eric Marten

eric marten
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM

Did the minstrel group you model yourselves after use string bass? BTW, Pirastro Chorda strings, Dlugolecki, and Aquila are excellent makers of period correct gut strings. Are there any other brands you are familiar with? Which do you use?

Eric Marten

dculgan
03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Boston Catlines, varnished.

eric marten
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Ah, yes, I forgot about that brand. That was one of the first American makers, if I recall. There are so many makers of traditional gut strings, (and silk gut combos for guitars), that it is no problem getting them now, and they're reasonably priced. No excuse anymore for using plastic/nylon/steel strings for CW reenactments.

eric marten
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Do you have any info on the original Libby Prison Minstrels you model yourselves after, as mentioned on your stuff on YouTube and your website? Did they use 3/4 String Bass or full size?

Eric Marten

eric marten
12-25-2013, 09:00 PM

JerseyMike: Really curious about the repertoire of the original Libby Prison Minstrels and their instruments. Did they really play many old timey tunes? Were they able to keep and maintain a full size Bass in prison? Where did they and you, get appropriate gut strings?

Eric Marten

Spinster
12-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Eric, the user JerseyMike has not logged in since November 2012.

After more than a year's absence, I think you'll not get an answer from him.