PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sharpshooters/gunsmiths

captain_kirk
12-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Ok guys,
I have a Parker-Hale .451 Volunteer rifle that is shooting 18" high at 100 yrds.
I am using 40 grains FFFg of Triple 7. I cannot seem to lower the rear sights.
It is attached by a single screw that will only move left and right. With a hooded front sight, raising the bead is out of the question.
Any suggestions???????

Ephraim_Zook
12-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Aim 18" low at 100 yds??? :-)

sorry, couldn't pass that up

tompritchett
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Ok guys,
I have a Parker-Hale .451 Volunteer rifle that is shooting 18" high at 100 yrds.
It is attached by a single screw that will only move left and right. With a hooded front sight, raising the bead is out of the question.
Any suggestions???????

Sounds like the rifle was zero'd for a longer range than 100 yards - 150 or 200 yards (?) rather than make adjustments with the sights beyond what they were designed for. You might want to play with different ranges and find out its true zero range. I seem to remember that Civil War soldiers were encouraged to aim lower as most of the rounds tended to go over the heads of their targets so this might actually be historically accurate in terms of a longer zero range. But then I have been wrong before.

Jim Mayo
12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Any suggestions???????

Try posting your question on the NSSA forum. Many good shooters read that one.

http://www.n-ssa.net/phpbb/

Just checked the NSSA forum and saw that you know about that one.

Aim Low!

reb64
12-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Imagine you'll miss everything past 100 yds like this.find a lower aiming spot, even with todays m-16's Ihave to aim a little low past 150.

White Horse
12-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Ok guys,
Any suggestions???????

Perhaps more powder to flatten the trajectory?