PDA

View Full Version : union hat

PvtHinds
12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
i do rebel reenacting and i want to do fedral too i have a blue sack coatt but was wondring if i can wear my sloch hat or do i need to by a kepi or bummer cap?

billy

WestTN_reb
12-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Depending on the hat, a slouch is actually the rule rather than the exception for western Federal impression. A real light colored hat would not be as correct as a black or dark brown, but in EXTREMELY limited numbers would be Okay. Personally my next hat purchase will be a black version of Gen. Lee's hat, because it's a civilian hat and I think Hardee's are WAY over-represented in the hobby.

John Legg
12-17-2006, 09:54 PM
well it depends. are you doing eastern or western theater. what unit are you doing.

research research research

:)

John

tenfed1861
12-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Eastern:Bummer.Semanchak (sic.Don't call me on this one:P),Don Smith
Western:black or dark brown slouch hat.Tim Allen,Tim Bender.

Rob Weaver
12-18-2006, 08:00 AM
If you're only going to do Federal just once a year or occasionally, I would use what you have. If you settle on a specific Federal unit get an idea of what that unit wore. For us, that was pretty easy! ;)

Kevin O'Beirne
12-18-2006, 05:22 PM
For a "generic" Federal portrayal, it's difficult to go wrong with a forage cap, because Yanks in both the East and West wore them.

bob 125th nysvi
12-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Forage cap was what the majority of Federal soldiers were issued and wore. Slouch hats were probably next with Hardees and Kepis below that.

It means your scotch cap is way down the list.

But the correct answer is what did the unit you portray wear?

If you're 'freelancing' then go generic (forage cap) or find a specific authoritative source to develop a first person impression off of and wear what he wore.

By virtue of it's indutrial base and purchasing power the Federal Armies were a lot more standardized than the rebs. Unfortunately, it seems to me, that there is too much individuality in the Federal units to be a proper representation.

Maybe a lot of 'rebs-at-heart' feel they look better in blue?

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY