PDA

View Full Version : New book on the Life of John Martin (Giovanni Martino)

Jari
03-27-2012, 07:10 AM
New book on the Life of John Martin (Giovanni Martino)-bugler at Little Big Horn. I know it's post Civil War but it's a good read.

http://www.italica.us/profiles/blogs/new-book-custer-s-bugler-the-life-of-john-martin-giovanni-martino?xg_source=activity

RJSamp
04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
What a bad name for a book.....he wasn't Custer's bugler.....and wasn't his only orderly bugler on that day (Henry L Dose's headless half naked body was found over on Medicine Tail Coulee, identified by his mess mates in part because of the double trumpeter's stripes on his trowser legs)...... Custer's Chief Bugler Henry J Voss died at Custer's feet.....and the Indian's state he was playing calls to the end....

Jari
04-02-2012, 10:54 PM
RJ

Do you plan to read it?

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Hallo!

Perhaps ironic to have survived the LBG, to be run over by a truck and killed.

Curt

Jari
04-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Greetings Sir

well, it wasn't the truck that killed him outright, but it didn't help....

I also find it interesting that he lived in Baltimore just outside the gates of Fort McHenry for a short period of time.

RJSamp
04-06-2012, 01:02 PM
RJ

Do you plan to read it?

Not any time soon. Have something like 50 LBH books in my library. At one time I ran a forum.....even corresponded with the late Brian Pohanka on the various theories of how the battle was fought. Lately have been more interested in the ACW.....and my brother just sent me a book on 3rd Infantry Division tank battles in Southern France, August 1944 as part of Operation Anvil (my Dad was in the Dragoon phase, 100th Infantry Division).