PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Civil War Movies

BillyYank
12-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Lucky me first thread.

Its a pretty simple question:

What is your top 3 favorite Civil War movies, and why?: 1.

What is your least favorite Civil War Movie, and why? 1.

I'm going to have to think about this for awhile, i'm pretty sure i havent seen all the ones out.

Fenian
12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
M Y favorite has yet to be made but Glory comes close.I loved the grand scale of Gettysburg and Gods and Generals but those beards!!!!! Worst ever was Young Guns for Texas or something like that.Poor schmaltz an insult to Texans,the Confedrate Soldier and the veiwer all at once! Oh yes The Horse Soldiers albeit awfully uniformed and equipped,still gets a positive rating from me. Bud Scully 13th NJ and 69th NY:D

sbl
12-17-2006, 08:57 AM
What's not to like? Look at that cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063161/

As far as my favorite, I have a collection of silent era Civil war movies coming from Netflix, so I'll have to see them first.

I do like Horse Soldiers. It had more S-E-X than most CW/WBTS movies, and it tried to have a positive black charector. I think the singers from The Horse Soldiers transfered to Major Dundee's outfit. Rent the newer release of Major Dundee. Scenes have been restored and you can play it with a newer musical score.

TheBaldYankee
12-17-2006, 09:25 AM
1. Gettysburg. Yeah the beards could have been better, and the actor playing John Bell Hood was too old (Hood was only in his 30's), but it's well made, well written and well acted. You couldn't have found a better Chamberlain than Jeff Daniels. The film was faithful to the book, unlike Gods and Generals.

2. Glory. Just an all around great film, even if you know (or care) very little about the Civil War. In my opinion, It's Denzel Washingtons finest performance.

3. Still a good movie. I liked it less after I read the book. There was hardly anything with Lee or Hancock and they where central to the book, more than Jackson even. Also the film made no mention of Stuart commanding Jackson's division after Jackson fell. I could go on and on. Put all that aside and it IS a good movie and I still enjoy watching it. But maybe they could have called it something different and disassociated it with Jeff Shaara's fantastic novel.

Honorable Mention.

I'm waiting for the third disc of The Blue and The Grey. So far I really like this mini series. Granted the lighting on the night time scenes is too bright, but that's TV in the 80's for you. I watched a TV movie about the Salem Witch Trials (Three Soveriegns For Sarah) with the same problem. But Gregory Peck as Abe Lincoln! Can't get any cooler then that.

P.S.

I'm going to take a look at some of the Other films mentioned here. It's so hard to find movies about the Civil War without someone pointing you in the right direction.

reb64
12-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Ride with the Devil- delves into origins and emotions of the war, great guerilla action

Glory-actors/ motivations for fighting, a movie where you can enjoy it without takng sides or feeling bad like Gettysburg or gods and gen. seeing picketts charge or fredericksburg is tough, but in glory thr battle is a stalemate, both sides coming away with pride and onor.

Horse soldiers- favorite as a kid, the rebel charge out of the box car, the
cadet kids marching, One of those movies which you can watch without taking sides becuase of the actors.

Cold mountain- cuz I can watch it with the wife

GrumpyDave
12-17-2006, 10:58 AM
I like:

1. Birth of a Nation(copies are out there but tough to find)
2. Red Badge of Courage(Audy Murphy)
3. If the PBS CW series would count it goes here if not, Ride With the Devil.

You can have for trash:

1. The Blue and the Gray
2. North and South
3. Anything done by Ron Maxwell

:rolleyes:

sbl
12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey, I was an extra in that movie.

Try this book....

Civil War Cinema: A Pictorial History of Hollywood and the War Between the States (Paperback)
by John M. Cassidy

Paperback: 169 pages
Publisher: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company (June 1986)
Language: English
ISBN: 0933126743

Of course there have been maybe a dozen big and small CW/WBTS films made since 1986. You may find some earlier movies you like.

sbl
12-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Joan of Arc: The Virgin Warrior (2007) (announced)

Gods and Generals: Journey to the Past (2003) (V)
Gods and Generals (2003)

Gettysburg (1993)

In the Land of the Poets (1987)
Parent Trap II (1986) (TV)
Kidco (1984)
The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (1981)
Little Darlings (1980)

Verna: USO Girl (1978) (TV)
Sea Marks (1976) (TV)

jda3rd
12-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Absolutely no question:

Buster Keaton's "The General"

Frank

Pete K
12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
the Three Stooges "Uncivil Warriors"
Nyk, nyk,nyk!

cjdaley
12-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Scott,
You'll love "The General". It's my favorite CW movie.

Train crashes
Based on a true story
No CGI
Real Stunts
Great chase scenes
Perfect Love Story
Funny
They wear original accoutrements.

Just don't get the 'colorized' version.

sbl
12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Neat trivia about The General...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017925/trivia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_(1927_film))

Plus Marion Mack was a cutie who could do slapstick.

jda3rd
12-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I can't pick out a single favorite scene from "The General", unless it's the one with the railway mortar.

Frank

sbl
12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
How about the battle? Buster joins a gun crew and a Union sharpshooter picks off each man when Buster turns his back. Buster's waves his sword and it falls apart. The blade flies out and skewwers the sharpshooter. Black comedy.

Ken Cornett
12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned "The Last Rebel" starring Joe Namath!

sbl
12-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned "The Last Rebel" starring Joe Namath!

No one mentioned "Advance to the Rear" with Glenn Ford, "General Spanky", "Rebels on the Loose" (a "spagetti CW/Western") or "A Southern Yankee " with Red Skelton

Oh yeah, Operator 13 (1934)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025607/

"Gail Loveless (Marion Davies), a spy known as Operator 13 working for the Union and Federal cause during the Civil War, posing as a Confederate woman named Anne Claybourne, meets and falls in love with Confederate Captain Jack Galliard (Gary Cooper.) Dusguised as an octoroom maid at a Confedarate military ball, she learns and relays secrets to the Union forces that are devastating to the Rebel cause. Assigned to the case to track down and kill the spy maid, Galliard learns she is also the woman he loves, but proceeds with his assignment. He captures her but is in danger of being captured himself as Federal forces are approaching. Gail/Anne saves him and they part to wait until peace comes to resume their romance."

ejazzyjeff
12-21-2006, 10:37 AM
1. Gettysburg
2. Glory
3. The General

I don't want to say that Gettysburg is my all time favorite, but it's what got me into reenactment, when I first saw it on TNT back in 1994, so it kinda holds a special spot for me.

sbl
12-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Grumpy,

The Birth of a Nation at NETFLIX

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=309264&trkid=189530&strkid=1170032061_0_0

"Director D.W. Griffith's historical saga recounts the genesis of the U.S. Civil War, the destruction it wrought upon the populace, and the social ills spawned by Reconstruction, including the ascent of the Ku Klux Klan. The story plays out in the intertwining fates of two fictional families -- the Northern Stonemans and the Southern Camerons. Though the film's legacy is stained by its racist content, it remains a landmark in filmmaking technique. "

Easily rentable.

I own a copy myself.

sbl
12-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Friendly Persuasion (1956)

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60002417&trkid=189538

"Gary Cooper and Dorothy McGuire play farmers Jess and Eliza Birdwell, devoted Quaker parents living in Indiana during the height of the Civil War. The Birdwells's religion opposes violence and war, but as Confederate forces march closer -- looting and burning as they go -- the community prepares a defense. The family's nonviolent stance is tested when their son (Anthony Perkins) decides he wants to fight for the North."

cookiemom
12-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Shenandoah

Incident at Owl Creek Bridge [certainly memorable, although I'm not sure I'd call it 'favorite'...]

sbl
12-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Dear Carole,

Did you ever see any of the other CW/WBTS themed Twilight Zone episodes?

Season 1, Episode 24: Long Live Walter Jameson
Original Air Date: 18 March 1960
"A father forbids a history professor from marrying his daughter when he discovers that the captivating lecturer is actually an immortal who has lived for thousands of years."

Season 2, Episode 13: Back There
Original Air Date: 13 January 1961
"At a prominent club in Washington, D.C., a socialite argues about whether it would be possible to change history by traveling back in time. When he leaves the club he finds himself in 1865, on the night that President Lincoln will be shot."

Season 5, Episode 22: An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Original Air Date: 28 February 1964
"It is the end of the Civil War and Union troops have occupied the South. They are going to execute a Southern resistance fighter."

Season 3, Episode 11: Still Valley
Original Air Date: 24 November 1961

This one has the Confederates tempted to use black magic

Season 3, Episode 4: The Passersby
Original Air Date: 6 October 1961

AS Southern woman watches soldiers pass her home at the end of the war.

I think that's it...

cookiemom
12-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Did you ever see any of the other CW/WBTS themed Twilight Zone episodes?
I don't think so, Scott. I was only allowed to watch "Captain Kangaroo" and "Romper Room" when the earliest episode you listed originally aired... ;)

It was several years later, in a 5th or 6th grade class, that I saw a version of "Owl Creek Bridge," and 40 years later it still bothers me.

sbl
12-26-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't think so, Scott. I was only allowed to watch "Captain Kangaroo" and "Romper Room" when the earliest episode you listed originally aired... ;)

I must be a bit older than you. (I'll drop that subject.)

It was several years later, in a 5th or 6th grade class, that I saw a version of "Owl Creek Bridge," and 40 years later it still bothers me.

It might be because it was made in France.:roll: The same people filmed several other Bierce CW/WBTS stories including the REALLY wierd "Chickamauga".

I saw these other Bierce films on PBS before the British TV and Mobil Oil took over.

Rob Weaver
12-26-2006, 06:26 PM
PBS dramitized "One of the Missing" in the early 70's as well, changing the story to make the sharpshooter a Confederate. A credible retelling, though.
I have loved that last Twilight Zone episode for years! That's the one where the last man down the road is Lincoln. Great stuff.
A couple years ago there was a Sci-fi book of short stories called "Civil War Fantastic" published. Did anyone else read it? Laying authenticity aside, there were some good flights of fantasy there.

sbl
12-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Civil War Fantastic
by Martin Harry Greenberg (Editor)

Rob Weaver
12-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Yep, that's it. A really fun book if you can overlook some inaccuracies. There's an interesting story early on about a Confederate unit that picks up a good old fashioned Southern witching man, and another about reanimated soldiers a la Dr. Frankenstein. A little too much of a "Gettysburg fixation," but it wasn't written by historians. If you can find it, and need a change of pace, it's an enjoyable read.

sbl
12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
...an off beat film/comic to look for is...

The Amazing Screw-On Head

The Screw-On Head is an agent for President Abraham Lincoln, fulfilling much the same role as the modern-day B.P.R.D.(Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense) In the comic (and television pilot), he is summoned by Lincoln to track down Emperor Zombie, an undead occultist. Zombie and his henchmen, the vampiress "Madam" and scientist Dr. Snap, have stolen an ancient manuscript. This will allow him access to the tomb of Gung, a warlord who nearly conquered the world over ten thousand years ago with supernatural power gained from "a fabulous melon-sized jewel", which Zombie obviously plans to use for himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Screw-On_Head

I caught this one on the Sci Fi Channel.

Rob Weaver
12-28-2006, 08:08 AM
That is sooooo cool! I write "weird" west and "fantastic" Civil War gaming scenarios as breaks from conventional big battalion and skirmish games, plus my kids are more likely to play them if they're a little more "history lite." I gotta use some of that stuff!

tompritchett
12-28-2006, 08:23 AM
That is sooooo cool! I write "weird" west and "fantastic" Civil War gaming scenarios as breaks from conventional big battalion and skirmish games, plus my kids are more likely to play them if they're a little more "history lite." I gotta use some of that stuff!

My friend used to be involved in multiple role playing games and one of these revolved around the Civil War era. Apparently, there was some virus that re-aminates the dead into zombies with a taste for human flesh. The only way that a zombie can die and not be re-aminated is to be killed with its feet off the ground. Because of this joint threat, the Union and the Confederacy have agreed to an Armistice and have also agreed to keep information about this threat secret from the public to avoid genral panic. He tried to interest me in to playing it but I was not interested - partially because it would have distracted him from GM'ing the others that we had already started.

sbl
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
I think that's the term for an alternate sci-fi past. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Van Helsing and the anime film Steam Boy fall into this catagory for films.

The SCI-FI channel series the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne is another example.

I recommend Steam Boy which I bought for my daughter and enjoy myself.

Doug Cooper
12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Speaking of Zombies, I can't believe we have left out that paragon of film making, The Ghost Brigade, starring Martin Sheen. Last heard Martin is still trying to collect all of the VCR copies and burn them...

Agree with Grumpy Dave's call, esp his trash list.

Glory remains the best modern movie, by far - story, acting, authenticity, and probably most importantly - they spent money, hired real actors (at every level) and had a director worthy of the title. Ride with the Devil is pretty good as well.

sbl
12-28-2006, 02:01 PM
The Supernaturals (1986)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092030/

"Nichelle Nichols is an army sergeant who leads her platoon into the woods of the deep south on a training exercise. Unfortunately, it is the site where a bunch of yankee soldiers murdered a town of confederates. The corpses of the dead soldiers rise up to wreak revenge."
BTW..did you ever see the lovely Nichelle Nichols in CW/WBTS costume?

http://www.sf.cz/obrazky/200311101756_nichols6.jpg

MStuart
12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
The Supernaturals (1986)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092030/

"Nichelle Nichols is an army sergeant who leads her platoon into the woods of the deep south on a training exercise. Unfortunately, it is the site where a bunch of yankee soldiers murdered a town of confederates. The corpses of the dead soldiers rise up to wreak revenge."
BTW..did you ever see the lovely Nichelle Nichols in CW/WBTS costume?

http://www.sf.cz/obrazky/200311101756_nichols6.jpg

Hailing frequencies open, Captain!!!!!!

Mark

Vulcan Science Academy, Class of '88

ianshanks
12-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Hmm.... favorite Civil War movies....

1] Cold Mountain- There were a few things I saw that bugged me a bit, but on a whole, finally someone tried to show the civillian side, get the fighting somewhat right, and it was refreshing seeing young, gaunt soliders, rather than your off the block reenactors.

2]If documentaries count, I'd go for all of the Wide Awake Documentaries. They are riveting, well researched, etc. The footage is awesome...just all around great.

3]Fields of Freedom- Its half an hour, some of the acting is cheesy...okay..but the movie [at least from what I've heard] is meant to show visitors to gettysburg an idea of what the combat looked like, and in my opinion, it did a good job of that.

Least Favorite-

Gods and Generals- Gettysburg is'nt the best movie in the world[in my opinion], but at least you could somewhat care about the characters. I did'nt really like the acting....another thing that bugs me is the replaying of frames. I'm sure this happens in many war movies, but seeing the same Confederate Soldier hit the same zoave by the same cannon etc. over 2 times is too much...I dunno, but the whole time I watched the film I felt like I was watching a reenactment. And skipping antietam? What? Some part of me feels like Gods and Generals downplays the brutality of the conflict. If we can have movies on the intensity level of Saving Private Ryan for World War 2, then why not for the Civil War?

John Legg
12-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Hmm...

My Favorite Movies would have to be...

- ANY wide awake film. They are great, as Ian said in the Previous post.

Funny story about the Movie "Glory".

Its funny as it did not tell the original story in the end. Denzel was just doing his job in Hollywood, but the original story was different.

The Flag Bearer(Name sliped through my mind) Did not die on the charge up the fort, But he did get wounded. After being shot a couple times, he went back to Command and told what was happening. I Forget the rest of the story, as i havent herd it in about 2 years.

john

Mich8th
12-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I saw that someone on here mentioned this movie Advance to the Rear. This is with out a doupt one of the funniest movies I have seen in years. If anyone out there can direct me to a place where I can get this movie on DVD then please tell me. As for my favorite 3 Glory is number one, and yes the horse soldiers, I also liked Andersonville then Gettysburg. (lyrics to advance to the rear song) Go come around go come around come around go come around get away its a company of cowards

Sparkee
12-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Favorite:

1. Gettysburg (We should have a reunion of those that were in the filming sometime...)
2. Ride with the Devil
3. Gods & Generals

*Would "Young Abraham Lincoln" count? High on the list also -
Horse Soldiers, The General, Gone with the Wind (it helped getting my wife interested in reenacting), They Died with their Boots On (okay, but it does start out with the civil war career of Custer), Birth of a Nation

Least favorite:
Good, Bad and the Ugly - I used to really like this movie too ... back before getting involved in reenacting.

Rob Weaver
12-30-2006, 08:12 AM
"Favorite" is too broad a category. It needs qualifiers: "favorite reenactor movie:" Gettysburg. It does feel like a reenactment, and no one who was reenacting at the time will ever forget how cool it felt to see ourselves up there on the big screen. "Favorite Classic:" The Horse Soldiers. I know all albout the inaccuracies, but still you've got John Wayne and William Holden together. And a very good US Grant at the beginning. "Favorite You Wished Were Longer:" Glory. Great cast. Very good action, especially on James Island. I wish the movie (and the book "One Gallant Rush,") told the rest of the regiment's story. "Emotional Favorite:" Johnny Shiloh. This Disney show got me interested in the Civil War when my age was in single digits. My kids love it because it's about a kid. "Favorite Guilty Pleasure:" The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I'll admit it, I love this movie. Not accurate in anything, anywhere, but full of great characters and lines. "I - d-i..." "Idiots. It's for you." And you gotta love anything that inspired Steven King to write. "Favorite Soundtrack:" Cold Mountain. I bought it to learn to play "Ruby with the Eyes That Sparkle."
BTW - Antietam isn't in G&G because it isn't in the book. (Neither is Bull Run and they included it. Go figure. I've finally decided G&G is boring. I want to like it, but it's just sooooo earnest that it's dull.)
Carney. William Carney was the color sergeant's name in the 54th MA. Got a Medal of Honor that's overlooked in "Glory."

sbl
12-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Mich,
Advance to the Rear..what a cast...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057820/fullcredits

I couldn't find it on DVD but its playing on Turn Classic Movies on
Wed. Jan. 10 at 7:45 AM Set the TIVO.

Micah Trent
12-30-2006, 11:09 AM
My three favorites would be:

1. Gettysburg
2. Glory
3. The Blue and The Gray - Excellent Story line. However, the only thing that bothers me with that movie is the timing of the film. For example, when John Brown is hung...the trees are as green as it gets...He was hung in December, plus you can tell that the first battle of Bull Run is filmed in two different parts. When the battle starts, all the trees are green, but when the skeedaddle starts, the leaves on the trees are brown and falling off.

Oh well!

Mich8th
12-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Mich,
Advance to the Rear..what a cast...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057820/fullcredits

I couldn't find it on DVD but its playing on Turn Classic Movies on
Wed. Jan. 10 at 7:45 AM Set the TIVO.

Thanks SBl,

I remember that movie when it first came out I went to the movies with my Mom and Dad and laughed or cackled all the movie and have seen it only once since. I unfourtunalty do not have a TIVO but will be sick that day or maybe late for work, I just have to see it again. I think that F-Troop was taken from that movie but not for sure. Still Advance to the Rear is one of the most funny Classic movies in its day and I still put it up there with Caddyshack and Animal House. I need comedys like them to keep me sane and can always find something different or a new one liner in all of them when I watch them. I think everyone who has not seen this movie in particular should also set there TIVO and watch it you will thank SBL for that info on time and date.

Trooper Graham
12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Hmm.... favorite Civil War movies....

I'm sure this happens in many war movies, but seeing the same Confederate Soldier hit the same zoave by the same cannon etc. over 2 times is too much

in the movie "ZULU" there is a warrior that I watched die seven times.

sbl
12-31-2006, 07:18 AM
...as I thought you were going to go on and on about ZULU. :rolleyes:
Glad i was wrong!

I met a man who claimed that he "shot himself" as both a Union and Confederate extra in GETTYSBURG in the Little Round Top scenes.

cavsgt
01-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Scott

We had a mare who chased her self in North South III

Phill

TheBaldYankee
01-03-2007, 06:34 AM
- Antietam isn't in G&G because it isn't in the book.
Antietam was in the book, but from the p.o.v. of Chamberlain and the 20th Maine, who were waiting in the wings, so to speak, but never sent into battle.

sbl
01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Speaking of Major Dundee, I just picked a DVD of the film for 14.99. You may be able to do better but I was using up a gift card. It's the extended version which I recommend.

Mich8th
01-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Well I got to see it again on Wensday Morning and it still is great, wish I could have taped it but have nothing to do it with. What a Great movie for the time. Yes it is not Historical correct but it sure is funny. Hope most of you got to see it and if you did then tell me how you liked it.

CivilWarBuff1863
01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
1: Gettysburg
2: Glory
3: Dances with Wolves

Why Dances with Wolves? Well because it starts out when Kevin Costner's charactor "Lt. John J. Dunbar" wounded in a battle with some Rebels somewhere. He puts his boot back on, goes back towards the lines, his friend asks him about the hospital then he gets up and goes to the horse with the "U.S." marking on it. Rides the horse back and forth between the lines while getting shot at by the Rebels just asking for death and the battle resumes. All this because some General was grumbling about the action being less to his liking, I guess. The General is pleased with Dunbar and he asks him not to take his foot, the General gets his personal surgeon.

After that he goes some place out west and asks a crazy officer at Fort Hayes to go to Fort Sedgewick. The officer pees his pants, drinks a shot of liquor and puts a gun to his head after Dunbar is outside getting his supplies ready.

He goes to Fort Sedgewick, after a great while he befriends some local indians. So on and so forth he gets called "Dances with Wolves". You know the rest.

That movie did bring out the best of both sides, the Civil War and the Frontier War.

Frenchie
01-12-2007, 06:40 PM
All three are great, but I'm always telling people they are entertainment, not history.

Gettysburg: We know the problems with it. Personally I can't, simply can't, watch the scene between Lee and Stuart with that ludicrous, pitiful excuse for a bad-makeup-tech-on-crack beard. Lee's accent would probably sound English to us because of his high education. Ditto Chamberlain, a master of rhetoric who spoke seven languages.

Glory: Too much about Shaw (same with the book, One Gallant Rush), not enough about the men. The 54th was sponsored by filthy rich Bostonians, don't try to sell me the notion that they didn't have uniforms and shoes from the git-go, and good food too. There was no Sergeant Mulcahy (but you can't help but love him). Flogging had been outlawed in the regs by then. The men did not refuse their pay and neither did the officers. Frederick Douglass's son was the Orderly Sergeant from day one. Almost all the men were freemen, there were very few runaways. Shaw chopping at watermelons from horseback - infantry officers were supposed to fight using the regiment as their weapon and use side arms only in self-defense, and watermelons... in winter... in New England... I don't think so.

Dances With Wolves: Starts out great but the docs didn't saw off everything all the time. Why hasn't the Fort Hayes medical officer relieved the obviously insane commander? It goes downhill after contact with the Indians. Their most likely reaction would be to go kill him and ask questions later. I can't watch it at all past the point where he realizes his book is back at Fort Sedgewick and goes to get it. Why are there four sentries at one post and why do they open fire without first calling for the Corporal of the Guard and without orders? How did the sergeant get to be an NCO when he's such a jerk? Why doesn't Smiles A Lot put the tomahawk into his head where it belongs?

Too much pandering to populist Hollywood illusions about the War and the West.

sbl
01-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Frenchie,

I heard DWW described by a fellow reenactor as "Hippies on Horseback."

Frenchie
01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Scott,

I like it. What was in those pipes, anyway? ;)

sbl
01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
DWW is on 3, that's THREE channels at once! AMC, PBS, and TELEMUNDO!

jda3rd
01-14-2007, 12:12 AM
"Crock O' S***"

Glory? Fine picture

GAG? Gagged (and it had such potential. Sadly the reenacting community, by avoiding having anything to do with it, doomed it).

Gettysburg? Could have been better, but fun anyway.

Horse Soldiers? One of the best. I can overlook equipment and uniform problems simply to enjoy the performances, and the cinematography.

Cold Mountain? Better than I thought it would be.

GWTW? So quotable! And superb performances, especially by supporting actors.

The General? Still my favorite.

Frank Brower

southern_belle1861
01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Wicked Spring. It was the best movie ever.

Army30th
01-15-2007, 09:16 PM
The Great Locomotive Chase . Yeah, it's a Disney movie, but it's good.