PDA

View Full Version : US Pattern Book

brown30741
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Is anyone familar with the "US Pattern Book" that is floating around out there? I have a well used copy of Confederate Sketchbook, and wondered how the quality of this other document compares.
Thanks,
Lindsey Brown

BobSullivanPress
12-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Lindsey,

These sketchbooks are very dated. Much information about patterns, materials, and construction have come to light since their creation some 20 odd years ago.

I don't think I'd consider something made from these dated materials to be a quality reproduction.

Rob Weaver
12-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I've made a couple items from the Confederate sketchbook, but they were the small items. My own experience was that the instructions for large items, ie clothing, in the whole "sketchbook" series were just too hard and incomplete to use as patterns. As mentioned, they are also very dated. I think good patterns are much more accessable now then they were when those were printed, with much better historical background.
Not to sound negative, but don't spin your wheels trying to track down a copy of this booklet if it's for anything more than sentimental reasons.