PDA

View Full Version : Sewing US on a blanket

31stWisconsin
12-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I have a tan blanket and I wish to sew the US on it. I would like to know dimensions and what kind of thread to use, also is it perfectly centered on the blanket?

Thanks

brown30741
12-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Sir,
I have done this to quite a few blankets over the years for myself and others. There is no one right way to do it, there are a number of great examples to show you how to do it correctly. A good starting place would be the graphics from the following post on this forum by Mr Sekala:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726&highlight=blanket

Also worth looking at is the website where the "Abe Thomas" blanket use to be for sell; it has a picture of the original which is similiar to one of the diagrams above, but smaller. I have used a pattern similar to the "state contract blanket" on page 214 of Echoes of Glory - Union. There is also the "regulation" three-row "US". Another question to keep in mind is "how's your sewing?" Can you make these more advanced stitches, or are you more comfortable with a running stitch like on the serifed ones?

You do have a fairly broad range of sizes and shapes. No matter what you do, I suggest chalking or soaping before you start (and rechalking if needed as you work). As for how centered it needs to be; in my opinion (read that as you like), I would keep it close but not get upset if it were a little off center. From the few orignials I've seen, I would suggest keeping each it fairly "straight" (no artsy angles or diaganals to win on the Hollywood Squares).

I hope this helps, and no matter what, have a good time with it and take some pride when others comment on it.

Lindsey Brown

CapitolGuards
12-11-2006, 09:13 AM
When I bought one of the Abe Thomas blankets several years ago, it came with a template (and appropriate yarn) for sewing on the "US" in either 2-line or 3-line format.

There are a number of good references out there on the US-issue blankets, most posted from old issues of the Watchdog or the old Company Wag, and included in the Hardcracker Handbook. These may be hard to find these days, but the old Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (as well as the new one coming out Real Soon Now) covers the issue blankets.

Investing in your personal research library is money just as well spent as investing in GOEX, and it lasts longer ;-)

Tom