PDA

View Full Version : Historical Info on Fort Buffalo?

Camp David
03-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Just joined... hello to all.

I've been out of the reenacting circuit for several years... drawn back in to do research... can anyone point me to anything on a CW Period fort in Northern Virginia called "Fort Buffalo," which was one of Lincoln's ring of forts surrounding the Capital? Current location of "Fort Buffalo" is along Rt. 50 in Seven Corners, on Arlington/Fairfax border, in Falls Church, VA... road access is via Sleepy Hollow Road next to Fire Station...

I need anything on Fort Buffalo...links to text or photos appreciated. I believe a New York Artillery Unit (Volunteer) garrisoned the Fort during the Civil War but I could be wrong...

THANKS...

Camp David

kmille0
06-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Hello, I am a new user.
I lived in Sleepy Hollow area of Falls Church Virginia until I was 15 years old in 1954. The remains of Fort Buffalo was right up the street from our home. My friends and I used to dig for artifacts in and around the trench at the fort. We discovered in our hunts that at some point in time the eastern portion of the trench (off Sleepy Hollow Road) must have been used as a dumping ground for the military, probably from World War 1. We found numerous rifle cartriges that in recollection were probably 30-06; these were buried in bundles. At the bottom of the trench buried under a couple of feet of dirt we also found something that looked like a small ariel bomb or mortor shell. It was about 1 foot long. I carried it home sticking out of my pocket riding my bicycle. My friends mother called the police who confiscated it, as it was still live. Unfortunately the expansion of the buildings at 7-Corners wiped out all the remnants of the trench.
I live in Southern California now and travel to the DC area frequently.
Ken

signalcorpsman
06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I actually live currently in Falls Church, and can clearly say the Fort is totally gone. That whole area was filled with forts and installations, but I think your best print source for the Fort and area would be "A Virginia Village Goes to War: Falls Church During the Civil War" It is really interesting, at least for me to know of so many different military activities on the roads that I drive every day.

Apparently the whole region used to be named Fort Buffalo, I believe some businesses are still named after the old area.

Tom McDonald

reb64
06-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Hello, I am a new user.
I lived in Sleepy Hollow area of Falls Church Virginia until I was 15 years old in 1954. The remains of Fort Buffalo was right up the street from our home. My friends and I used to dig for artifacts in and around the trench at the fort. We discovered in our hunts that at some point in time the eastern portion of the trench (off Sleepy Hollow Road) must have been used as a dumping ground for the military, probably from World War 1. We found numerous rifle cartriges that in recollection were probably 30-06; these were buried in bundles. At the bottom of the trench buried under a couple of feet of dirt we also found something that looked like a small ariel bomb or mortor shell. It was about 1 foot long. I carried it home sticking out of my pocket riding my bicycle. My friends mother called the police who confiscated it, as it was still live. Unfortunately the expansion of the buildings at 7-Corners wiped out all the remnants of the trench.
I live in Southern California now and travel to the DC area frequently.
Ken

i know not civ(il) war but if you ever find any krag sheels (Krag shells) or bullets i would be inte(r)ested, rob h

Rob Weaver
06-13-2007, 06:03 PM
The location of Ft Buffalo is documented in the map on the back of the NPS pamphlet for Fort Marcy, but the fort is gone. I just drove over its location about three hours ago, and that entire area is historically compromised. Northern Virginia and all.