PDA

View Full Version : 1st time ever: Reenactment of the surrender of Columbia, SC

Palmetto Patriot
12-07-2006, 08:13 PM
All,
I am proud to announce that the surrender of Columbia, S.C. to General W. T. Sherman's troops will be reenacted on Saturday, February 17th 2007. The surrender will be reenacted on the original ground where it took place, exactly 142 years to the day after it originally happened.
Union troops will enter the city on the actual route from the bridge on River drive and will proceed up River Drive to accept the surrender from Columbia's mayor at Beaufort Street. This is the exact spot where Columbia Mayor Thomas Goodwyn surrendered the city to Union Colonel George Stone. The present day Mayor of Columbia, Bob Coble, will be portraying Mayor Goodwyn.
Folks, this is the first time this momentous event has ever been recreated. All the streets will be closed to traffic that morning.

I have been tasked with finding reenactors to participate as Federals to enter the city. Although there will be no problem getting locals to take the honor, I believe a true Federal group would appreciate the experience more. Col. George Stone commanded the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Division of the XVth Corps. He took the 31st Iowa Regiment with him into the city by boat. Lieut. Col. Jeremiah W. Jenkins commanded the Iowans.
If you or your pards would like to participate in this first ever event as the 31st Iowa, please contact me by email at:
bfcmail@aol.com
I am the reenactor coordinator for the 4th annual Battle for Columbia event which will be going on the same weekend about 20 minutes away. We have ample camping and would absolutely love to have some Federals to come and enjoy our hospitality and great event while taking part in recreating a true piece of our American history.
I hope to hear from you soon.
yours,
Sgt. Tommy Rollings
8th SCVI

Palmetto Patriot
12-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm geting some takers. Keep it up folks!

Tommy Rollings
8th SCVI

Band_Box_Reb
01-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Sounds interesting. I'll be sure to check out.

TParker
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I will bring up this event at our meeting this week. Our namesakes were part of Sherman's Army so I hope we will be there!

(Lt.) Terry Parker
136th NYVI

Palmetto Patriot
01-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Folks,
The surrender will be televised locally by ABC affiliate WOLO TV. They believe it will also be picked up nationally, probably broadcast in some form on the nightly news.
Yours,
Tommy Rollings
8th SCVI

Memphis
01-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Late war actions in North and South Carolina don't receive enough attention. Bully for you!