PDA

View Full Version : Guitar manufactures

Pushingtheenvelope
01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I am intetested in buying a guitar that would have been used in the 1860s. Who makes period correct guitars?

wmclothiers
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Here's a webpage I just found listing several period luthers, selling both original and reproduction guitars. Guitars had a smaller body, and gut strings during the time period, with the 'modern' classical guitar size first being introduced in about 1850. The modern guitar with steel strings first became available in the 1900s. Not sure exactly what style you're looking for or your budget, but that's a good site to look at some original instruments from throughout the 19th century.

http://www.earlyromanticguitar.com/erg/luthiers.htm

Hope that's helpful,
Jim

Pushingtheenvelope
01-11-2012, 11:32 PM
The site you posted is very helpful. I apperciate the link and your quick response. Thanks!
-Mike

Daniel
02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
A reasonably-priced period style (yet new) guitar for your impression is the Recording King RP-06 solid-wood top / slotted head / 12-fret-to-the-body / 0 size guitar for around $250. This guitar, like the Republic RP-1 (another period-appearance guitar at a reasonaboe price) is within close spec dimensions of an 1850's Stauffer/Martin. This one is even more appropriate than the Republic with its smaller bridgeplate and modest trim.

http://www.recordingking.com/guitars_rp06.html

For better historical impression you can swap to a gut (with silk-wound basses) string set, and swap all phillips screws with slotted or keyhole screws.

Daniel

disclaimer: Niether of these guitars are reproduction quality, just darn close to the correct appearance and layout (and likely the sound with gut strings) for the price. If you want more authentic the recomendation is to spend $700. - $1400. and obtain a reproduction, or obtain and resurrect an actual antique from the Minstrel period.

Provost-ADC
02-18-2012, 12:06 AM
My Dear Mr. Daniel Wykes,

How delightful to hear from you under yet another username.

I trust you are faring well in the other forum, as you seem to cause far less trouble there than you did here. Moderators have discovered over time that this is often the case, and a poor fit for one forum is sometimes a good fit in another.

I have a long memory. I keep a list. You are still banned here.

All The Best,

dculgan
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
For what its worth I strum the banjo in a civil war string band. A few years ago, when I was thinking of looking into adding some guitar sounds to band, I started watching these Republic guitars on ebay, though they are already pretty cheap as brand new. See, when I first got into early banjo, a long time ago, I would not have been able to commission the building of a period correct instrument for a thousand bucks, I got something a lot more affordable with a couple of anachronisms to play until I was sure I was into it. Get this cheapie, learn the style, learn some songs then you have something to play while on the waiting list. Dave Culgan, Camptown Shakers.