PDA

View Full Version : Help on finding a holster maker

Richard Schimenti
12-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I have a black flap military style holster that is tailored for my 1851 colt. The information on the back of the holster reads "T. Staats, maker"

I purcahsed this holster at a local gunshow, and the seller was not able to provide much help, other than telling me that the maker paid quite a bit of attention to detail, which is quite obvious by the qualtiy and correctness of the holster.

I have searched the web looking for additional information on this person as i would like to have another holster from them.

I have not been able to locate anyone by that name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bummer
12-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Are you sure the makers mark is not 'Stool'? If so, I can help you. There was a guy in Conn. years ago (his name slips me at the moment) who bought out an old leatherman's shop (the name was Stool) and this guy occasionally used the old stamp that came with the tools. He made without a doubt the best leather gear I've seen until very recently. He was not particularly a Civil War reenactor, just a craftsman. But he really knew how to work leather!!
He had never seen a CW holster and I got him to copy an original of mine--it came out perfect except he included a repair not realizing that repair was not part of the original manufacture (a lined beltloop). It is still the best repro holster I have seen--and it was the first he ever made!
Anyway, one day about 1980 or so, he abruptly quit--everything. He wouldn't even answer the door or even return people's stuff that he had in his shop to repair or copy (I lost a pair of shoes that way). Just fell of the face of the earth.
So if it is the person I speak of...forget it. He made absolutely fabulous stuff--but he 'stopped short never to run again'. His stuff is quite rare these days.

Bummer
12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
PS--If I might. If you are looking for a holster of that quality, I might suggest EJ Thomas...they are the ONLY ones today who make a holster with a 'chamfered'(hope I have the term correct) side seam and with the correct dimensions--and believe me, I've looked! Theirs is the only holster I would use--and I have several originals to compare to so know what real ones are supposed to look like.
They have actually taken an original one (not collector quality) apart for their pattern and measurements, and they'll show you the original for comparison.

Richard Schimenti
12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey Bummer, thanks for the time, but it clearly is written in capitol letters T. Staats, Maker.

DaveGink
12-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Tom Staats is a maker out of Milwaukee, WI.

I bought a carbine sling from him this past summer at a local event and I was really impressed. It sounded like he doesn't do much leather work anymore, but PM me and I'll give you his number. I'd post it publically but I'm not sure if he'd be cool with that. And I don't think he has a web site.

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: I called Tom and asked him if it would be cool to post his number publically and he said I could, although he did confirm he isn't doing much leather work anymore. His number is (414) 466-8030 (please call him during the day). And I guess his stuff is also being sold through http://www.lodgewood.com/

Richard Schimenti
12-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Dave, thanks for the information. I will give him a call and see what is available.