PDA

View Full Version : If you could Have ANY Garment to complete uniform what would it be?

John Legg
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
If you could pick Items to finish your Kit what would it be?

I would have to say i would want an SA Infantry Jacket, or an Alterd Stuebenville Fatigue Blouse. JT Martin Trousers, Contract issue shirt made by me.stevenson hat or a Dress hat from Bender.

Tell me about yours.

tenfed1861
12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Forage Cap,SA Jacket,or a Frock coat

Huck Finn
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Under represented, period "skins".

tompritchett
12-04-2006, 11:40 PM
A frock coat.

VaTrooper
12-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I just ordered the two big items to complete my basic kit but I do want a frock asap.

road_apple1861
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
I would like to have a issue shirt,drawers and sa trousers...and maybe a sa infantry jacket..

csuppelsa
12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
A frock coat.

How about an original frock coat

Trooper Graham
12-05-2006, 04:28 PM
An 1859 model Shiloh made Sharps carbine. After reading other threads a Armi/EMI model won't do so I'll save for ten years and until then I guess I'll have to do without. After all, it cost the most so it has to be 'authentic'.:rolleyes:

Dave Myrick
12-05-2006, 05:30 PM
An 1859 model Shiloh made Sharps carbine. After reading other threads a Armi/EMI model won't do so I'll save for ten years and until then I guess I'll have to do without. After all, it cost the most so it has to be 'authentic'.:rolleyes:

If you the most accurate repro Sharps available, get a Garrett.
Dave

Trooper Graham
12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
If you the most accurate repro Sharps available, get a Garrett.
Dave
Garrett went out of business in the early 80s but like my 70s 1860 repro Ames I lucked out getting I'll keep my eyes open for a Garrett.

I have been told that even Shilohs have mechanical issues.

Sam

Dave Myrick
12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Yea Garrett went out of business thats a shame. They are the only Sharps repro with a functioning Pellet Primer system and original parts drop right in if need be. but they can still be had for far less than a Shiloh. The biggest problem I have heard of with the Shiloh is getting them to make them to use a paper cartridge and not a metallic one.
Dave

Trooper Graham
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Yea Garrett went out of business thats a shame. They are the only Sharps repro with a functioning Pellet Primer system and original parts drop right in if need be. but they can still be had for far less than a Shiloh. The biggest problem I have heard of with the Shiloh is getting them to make them to use a paper cartridge and not a metallic one.
Dave

Somewhere between the cost of a Pedersoli and a Shiloh then?

jurgitemvaletem
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
A completely handsewn confedrate frock in jean woll with full body homespun lining.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

Dave Myrick
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Somewhere between the cost of a Pedersoli and a Shiloh then?
The last one I know of that went up for sale was right around $800. It wasn't new obviously but it was in unfired condition without a blemish. That was about 2 years ago.
Dave

Trooper Graham
12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
The last one I know of that went up for sale was right around $800. It wasn't new obviously but it was in unfired condition without a blemish. That was about 2 years ago.
Dave

Well, $800. cuts my waiting time down now to two years. :D I will keep my eyes wider open though.

Cheers

Rachal
12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
If any Secret Santas wish to send me an 1842 Springfield, I would be very happy indeed. Otherwise, my gear buying days are over until I finish college. Polls like this make me sad. So much gear, so little money!

John Legg
12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Your right.

i have no job(16 years old) and i dont know how i afford this!

John

Union Navy
12-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Gotta get an 1852 regulaton full dress Navy tailcoat! Man, the chicks would flock to me at the ball... I mean, Certainly, the fine ladies would take notice.

Trooper Graham
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Gotta get an 1852 regulaton full dress Navy tailcoat! Man, the chicks would flock to me at the ball... I mean, Certainly, the fine ladies would take notice.

I know of some that would argue that point...about the existance of Balls and the participation of that is. You know, everyone was on campaign during the whole war. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bizzilizzit
12-06-2006, 12:40 PM

Kind Sir,
If you could learn to twirl your epaulettes, I believe THAT would get the ladies attention...
Elizabeth

Bummer
12-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I dream of an original Napoleon 12 pounder with all the trimmings, to go with my original (that fits me) light artillery uniform. Yeah, that would be nice--have always wanted one.

But then that's not a garment, so on a more realistic level, and one that pertains to this thread, I'm thinking of trying for an untrimmed enlisted frock coat.

CapitolGuards
12-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Illinois state jacket.

Also need to get busy in winter quarters and start on replacing the Johnny frock coat that I swapped off a couple years ago...

scoyy
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I was wondering what Huck Finn meant by peroid "skins"
Are these leather garmets? Maybe smoke tanned?
I am new to civil war reenacting but have done alot of the fur trade.
I have looked for info on "Skins" during the civil war and have not found much.
Where should i Look?

thx
scoyy

Scott Layton

Hog-Eye Man
12-13-2006, 12:21 PM
A Federal Junior Officers frock coat, and trousers.

willeichler
12-13-2006, 01:15 PM
I've had a mostly finished junior officer's frock on my shelf for almst *choke* six years now. It will get finished the winter.......I hope.

Will

Hog-Eye Man
12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I've had a mostly finished junior officer's frock on my shelf for almst *choke* six years now. It will get finished the winter.......I hope.

WillA Junior officers frock and trousers, could cost me close to $900.00 when it's all said and done. Maybe more.

Nothing cheap about this hobby.

MDRebCAv
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
What I would like to have are authentic--real--antique buttons on my shell jacket and vest.

jurgitemvaletem
12-13-2006, 02:41 PM
What I would like to have are authentic--real--antique buttons on my shell jacket and vest.

Why, All original buttons, dug, or government back supply show quite a bit of aging. Soldiers did not wear 140+ year old buttons on their coat, and neither should we. This all goes back to the old campaigner myth of soaking your buttons in urin to make them look older and more used, although most of the C/P/H wing have abandoned this method of kewlness.

I would recomend waterbury for issue buttons, their buttons are a dead on of originals from the front, and made from original stamps used during the war by the company.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

TheBaldYankee
12-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Well since we're aiming high, I'd have to say a Federal Infantry Great Coat would top my wish list. I've seen em fairly cheap, but for something like that I'd wish for higher end.

Number Two would be an infantry frock coat. I want to look snazy when I go to my first ball. But then I'd start dancing, and ruin that whole image.:razz:

Anthony Salem

Minieball577
12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
I second the Garrett comment. Functioning pellet primeris the way to go.

bob 125th nysvi
12-28-2006, 03:18 PM
The ole sack coat and pants. A good impression starts outside in.

All the good ones I've seen are lined and that puts me off a bit because I'm a warm blooded creature (outside at 30 in a t-shirt) so having a lined coat when we're playing (when its hot and humid) just isn't something I want to contemplate.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

Bummer
12-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. It can be done and good original buttons look fine and do add a lot to the look of a uniform! However be prepared for two things: First, a considerable investment (but they'll never be worth less than what you pay for them if you buy right), Second, be prepared to be constantly 'monitoring' them, checking that they are all still there--which may be distracting. Sew them on ve-ery well.
I wouldn't neccessarily advise them for a hardcore-campaign event (althought I use Union ones then), but for those 'dress-up' times they sure are nice to be using something not run of the mill and that 'was there' .

Once coming back from an event where I did CSA, I stopped at one of the better known relic shops still in my uniform. While at the counter making a small purchase, the proprietor did a double take, actually popped open his cash drawer, looked me in the eye and said "I will give you a thousand dollars right now for the buttons off your jacket." Yike! That's when I decided to downgrade my buttons before I lost any.
But yes, having and (judiciously) using some small original artifacts can be nice--and no worse than the old lady who slams open and closed the drawers on her Chippendale highboy (worth considerably more). Go for it!

HighPrvt
12-29-2006, 08:45 PM
A custom built .54 Lorenz, w/ blued barrel, and case hardened parts.

first_sgt_8thky
01-03-2007, 03:02 AM
I had the Kentucky State Guard Frock made that is at Stones River. Cadet Grey, French Blue trim, with KY buttons. Also got matching trousers and Kepi. Then I got married in them. ha 1st Sgt Jefferies