PDA

View Full Version : Civil War accordeon video

dculgan
11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Many folks have wondered what the Civil War era French accordeons (a.k.a. flutina) sounded like. There were a lot of them imported during the mid 19th centruy until German and Italian made instruments took over (blame the Franco-Prussian war). The one I am playing was made around 1850. Excuse the poor video, I'm still trying to find a way to get some good recordings up on u-tube. Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/cZuT4DCl-9s

Dave Culgan, Camptown Shakers

5strings
11-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Very cool!

netnet81
11-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Love it! thanks for sharing.

Bill Thurman
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Where can I get one, does anyone make anything close repo. Always wanted to play a period accoridian !! Excellent thread!!!!

dculgan
12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Where can I get one, does anyone make anything close repo. Always wanted to play a period accoridian !! Excellent thread!!!!

I had thought that the music from these relatively fragile instruments might be lost to time and even as I play my own antique instrument I worry that one day I will just pull it apart. Fortunately I have found someone that is knowledgeable in construction and repair and very much invloved in developing a reproduction instrument. I have seen Andy Gelfert's prototype, the casework and bellows were a faithful copy of a period accordeon in his collection, the workmanship is incredible. The prototype is not yet complete but I'm hoping one day to be able to play on a new instrument. In playing condition these things really are addictive and hard to put down. Andy has a website in progress at victorianaccordeon.com and you can also reach him through Facebook. Dave Culgan, Camptown Shakers band.

Ross L. Lamoreaux
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Marc
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Neat..thanks for sharing

dculgan
03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Here's another example of flutina accordeon playing - "The Bonnie Blue Flag" as I remembered it from "Gods & Generals" soundtrack featuring the 2nd South Carolina band. A few mistakes here and there and I mis-remembered the melody line of the 3rd part a bit but hope you enjoy. I am finding that this is a difficult instrument to record, the Mac's built in mic doesn't really capture the drones very well. Dave Culgan

http://youtu.be/1hXd_TJSziU

maillemaker
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Cool stuff!

Steve