PDA

View Full Version : Gilmor's Raid 2007

Chuck A Luck
12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Jerusalem Mill Village, Harford County, Maryland
July 14-15, 2007

Historic Jerusalem Mill Village is hosting its 4th Annual Civil War Encampment on the weekend of July 14-15, 2007. The event commemorates CSA Major Harry Gilmor's 1864 raid on McCourtney's Store, one of several restored buildings still located in the village. In July of 1864, a portion of Major Gilmor’s command, the 1st and 2nd Maryland Cavalry, passed through the small settlement, stopping long enough at McCourtney's Store to requisition victuals and supplies and "liberate" some fresh mounts. Gilmor’s command then continued on its way to burn the railroad bridge at Magnolia Station over the Gunpowder R., where they encountered a company of 100-day Ohio militiamen.

Each day of the event will feature a reenactment of Gilmor's raid as well as a more general demonstration of Civil War combat. Between battles visitors are urged to stroll through the camps, chat with reenactors, and have a closer look at their uniforms and equipment. Throughout the day Saturday period music will be performed by talented musicians, and Dan Toomey, a local historian and author of "The Johnson-Gilmor Raid," will be available to sign and discuss his work. Refreshments will be available for a nominal charge.

Directions to the site and further information can be found at the Jerusalem Mill website (www.jerusalemmill.org). Select the “Gilmor’s Raid” link for information directly related to this event.

Due to the limited amount of space available and to maintain appropriate force ratios, attendance in 2007 is by invitation only. For further information, or if interested in attending, please contact Charles Kibler (cjkibler@comcast.net).

Remise
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
This was, quite honestly, my favorite event last season, and next year, my unit expects to officially add it to their schedule. In particular, if you live in the Baltimore area and want to do something -- just once -- that is close to home and not Fort McHenry, I strongly recommend Gilmor's Raid. And even though there was no actual combat at the location, the buildings, which are Revolutionary or pre-Revolutionary, add a lot of ambience to the event.

B.C. Milligan
Company K, First Penna. Reserves

MargaretO'Grady
12-04-2006, 05:33 AM
As the event is invitation only for military (from what I understand), how will the civilian end of things run? I found this website earlier and was quite interested in the workshops which were run last year. Even if my unit doesn't go, would I be able to 'express interest' as an independent civ?

cookiemom
12-04-2006, 08:34 AM
As the event is invitation only for military (from what I understand), how will the civilian end of things run? I found this website earlier and was quite interested in the workshops which were run last year. Even if my unit doesn't go, would I be able to 'express interest' as an independent civ?
Good question, Meg. We went this past summer (as spectators) and it was one of our favorite events, too, for several reasons. ;) It's already on my calendar for 2007 (as a spectator, again) but now the potential for participation intrigues me...

Cookiemom & The Hardtack Kid

Chuck A Luck
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Margaret -- and others interested ~
Post me an email & we'll discuss how we can get you involved on the civilian side.

BTW, I just noticed the link posted (in this thread's first post) to the Jerusalem Mill site is not functioning, and & I'm not sure why. Hopefully this one will work:
http://www.jerusalemmill.org/

MargaretO'Grady
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Yay, there's hope yet ~ sent!! :D