PDA

View Full Version : Suppliers?

Fenian
12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I am curious as to whether the majority our standard "kits" represent primarily one person ie Chris Daley, Nick Sekela or Dan Wambaugh or are folks like me using a blend of their goods? Bud Scully 13th Nj and69th NY

Rob
12-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Well, my own closet contains

Fatigue blouses from Casey Osgood and Jo Houde
Forage caps from Nick Sekala
Slouch hats from Tim Allen and Tim Bender
Trousers from Chris Sullivan
Shoes from Robert Land
Socks and tinware from Chris Daley
Haversacks from Chris Daley and Casey Osgood
Accoutrements from MB&S

It's a pretty good mix, I guess.

NC5thcav
12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
CD jacket from Chris White
Trowsers from Chris Daley
Shoes from Robert Land
Socks from Ben Tart
Shirt and tinware from Chris Utley
Cartridge box sling, cap pouch, and groundcloth from Jason Rich
Cartridge box from MSB&S
Cap from Lukas Berg

AZReenactor
12-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Can't say I put much stock in name brands. More interested in how an item compares to originals.

That said, I have stuff from several different makers.

terry sorchy
12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Bud,
I guess it depends on the portrayal your doing. Each of the vendors that makes museum quality kit bases the items they make on originals. Each brings something rare and unique to the living history world for us to obtain. I use goods made by almost every major (quality) vendor around. It just depends what event I go to that tells me what impression I will need. The nice part about so many choices is just that. The men back then could'nt pick the type of coat they got, (unless privatly purchased), but we can. A good quality mix is always a plus.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

AZReenactor
12-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Terry,
Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't sayin that any old gear will do. It just seems too often these days folks are identifying gear by the name of the manufacturer, rather than the original item it reproduces.

I do have items made by Don Smith, Nick Sekela, Chris Daily, Casey Osgood, Tim Bender, Robert Serio, myself and several other quality manufacturers but really don't see much point in flashing the brands unless I'm trying to impress someone with my kewlness. The standard of quality isn't who made an item, but how closely it actually matches the item it was copied from.

WestTN_reb
12-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree with Mr. Groves completely. The club or "kewlness" mentality is what is tearing at the very fabric of this hobby. That said, I only buy patterns, then I do the work myself.

AZReenactor
12-01-2006, 03:46 PM
I agree with Mr. Groves completely. The club or "kewlness" mentality is what is tearing at the very fabric of this hobby. That said, I only buy patterns, then I do the work myself.

But are you buying only kewl patterns? ;-)

terry sorchy
12-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Oh, I agree with you Troy. The thing about many of the manufactures of these goods(I cant sew) is that they do base their repops on originals. Thats all I buy.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

John Legg
12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
i got a

Fatigue Blouse made by me
SA trousers made by me
Civi shirt made by me.
Haversack and canteen bought used at an event
drawers - Chris Daley
Forage Cap - Chris semancik
Socks - Dan Wambaugh
Commutation jacket - made by me still working on it.

there is more just too lazy to put it on! :mrgreen:

Fenian
12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I never meant to imply there was any virtue to name dropping.Don't own a BMW and it wouldn't get me to the places I want to go.I too own Daley, Osgood, Sekela, Sullivan, Kluin,Mattimore, Land etc because I look for items that reflect originals I own or have seen. To the contrary I was alluding to folks who tell methey only buy so in so because only he "does it right" a very dubious term to my way of thinking. Bud Scully 13th Nj and 69th Ny:(

chase196126
12-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I agree totally on how an item looks vs. Maker.

As for my kit I have:

SA sacks: One Pat Brown, and one made by me from a W&W Kit
Frock: Sekela (and a CS Wambaugh)
Trousers: Pat Brown Jasper P. Boyland contract and some good jean trousers of unknown providence
Leather goods: Mix of Sekela and Missouri Boot and Shoe
Canteen: Orchard Hills
Haversack: Quartermaster Stores (not the company that sells to Fall Creek)
Forage Cap: Starbuck
Shoes: Skillet Lickers pair
Drawers: Made by me from a Pat Brown Kit
Shirts: 2 Daley contract shirts (blue and tan), Domet shirt from Daley, A good civi shirt of unknown maker
Musket: James River Armory 1855 Springfield

Chase Pinkham

modelf85
12-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I try to mix it up.

skamikaze
12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
i totally agree with troy about the name dropping thing. i was at a museum during remembrance day and there were two hardcores next to me looking at some items on display. one of them actually said "hey, that looks like the sekela ventilator forage cap (referring to an original)" have we put our trust in the big name makers so much that we dont even check to see if it is right? a pard of mine was all thrilled that he had just bought a name brand pair of trousers for an outrageous price and when i asked why he bought them he said "because ____ made them."

im not saying i dont condone buying this stuff (i have some myself), but when the only reason you are buying it is because such and such made it i find that rediculous. we are no better than teenagers at the mall.

i try to either make my own stuff or sit down with an expert and have them make it for me. the staff at the gettysburg sutler do an excellent job on custom orders. also, i believe greg starbuck makes the best kepis in the hobby.

tompritchett
12-02-2006, 11:56 AM
when i asked why he bought them he said "because ____ made them."

There are two reasons for buying from "the name" suppliers. First, to be "kewl" :roll:, or because, we have confidence that the name supplier is doing it right and we do do have to worry about knowing all the details of uniform or equipment construction to make sure that what we are buying is truly authentic. I suspect that the majority of buyers from "the name" suppliers buy from them primarily for the second reason rather than the first, especially when their gear is a mix from "the name" vendors. This in turn goes back to Bernard's earlier thread about how much detail do we as reenactors really have to do know about uniform and equipment construction, especially when the level of detail knowledge would exceed the knowledge of most soldier's back then. Hank brought up the fact that such knowledge, while indeed greater than what they knew then, is often necessary to ensure what we buy is indeed authentic unless (emphsis mine) we are willing to trust in the expertise of the suppliers. I think "the name" suppliers are name suppliers because almost all reenactors implicitly trust these individuals to indeed get it right. In a similar fashion, my unit, civilians and military, use a particular shop for our uniforms and clothing for exactly the same reason, even though this business does not have the "kewl" reputation of "the name" vendors (a situation we actually hope continues as we do not want to see this business so swamped that it is unable to deliver in a timely manner).

flattop32355
12-02-2006, 01:55 PM
This in turn goes back to Bernard's earlier thread about how much detail do we as reenactors really have to do know about uniform and equipment construction, especially when the level of detail knowledge would exceed the knowledge of most soldier's back then.

Could you please forward the above statement to Charles Heath, so he can see that not everyone thinks it was the dumbest question ever asked in CW forum history? ;)

Of course, that doesn't mean he'll change his mind....

Dancing bananas with spoons will be the death of the hobby.

toptimlrd
12-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok, like most I have a mix. I try to buy equipment that is as close to the original as possible within my limited knowledge (I am not an expert on equipment, but I do study and continue to learn).

A lot of my stuff comes from Joe Blunt (Federal frock, Confederate Columbus Depot, Confederate kepi, my son's federal forage hat, dark blue civilian trousers, confederate haversack). He happens to also be a friend of mine as well.

I have the following from Nick Sekela: Forage hat, Federal sack coat

Tim Bender Hardee Hats (mine and my son's)

Sky Blue confederate trousers from Wambaugh (don't recall who actually made them)

Shoes from Bob Serio

Knapsack from Jim Lammers (Cedar Creek)

Blankets from Woodburn.

Confederate battleshirts from Sue Bonifay of Sew Long Ago.

etc.

terry sorchy
12-03-2006, 10:11 AM
One thing should be mentioned to those who for some reason think the "big name vendors" are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. If you "read" the description of almost "everything" on their sites they tell you what original it was taken from, where the original is and who used it. Lets see, tdhat should be trust enough. Seeings how so many people bought from mainstream sutlers for so many years without compunction or question.
The guys like Daley and Sekal and Smith and Wambaugh, do this stuff for a living. They are American business men out theyre for YOU. They are Proffesional Tailors. Theyre not there to trick you or sell you stuff that isnt right it would only hurt their business. And all you have to do if you have a question on something they make is CALL them. They will be happy to tell you about the research that goes into the piece you are looking for.
Terry Sorchy
I Hate Cyber arguments

modelf85
12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Im a BIG fan of Nick Duvall's Accoutrements.

Ive got

Tim bender hat

My mom made my SA jacket

Sullivan Pants

Wambaugh shirt

Daley Drawers

Mattimore shoes (Unfortunately)

Duvally Couters

VaTrooper
12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Mattimore shoes (Unfortunately)

Why is that unfortunate?

MStuart
12-03-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm just as kewl as the next guy. I have:

2 (count 'em-2!) Wareheim shell jackets from S&S Sutler
2 Georgia frame belts, one each from Trans-Miss and L.D. Haning (what should be even more impressive is that I actually spoke to both of them via phone!!!!!!)
1 Bender hat
1 Haversack from Jarnigan (oh, the horror!)
1 truck by Ford - black with a kewl ARE cap (only took me 48 years to get my "dream" vehicle)
1 Citizen wristwatch
BVD's from Walmart (some Jockey's from Macy's when I want to feel "special")
Tube socks from Sears
I get my hair cut at J.C. Penney's 'cause I won't have a "barber" touch it
And I have a dog that my wife and I rescued from a disreputable breeder who could care less about any of the above.....as should the rest of us.

Who are we trying to impress?

Mark

BobSullivanPress
12-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't do the soldier thing much anymore, but when I do, my stuff is mainly from people who are out of the hobby or dead.

Forage cap - Crag Nanos (out of production)
Blouse - Chris Daley
Trousers - Made by Katie Bopp
Socks - Mickey Black (and pretty darned close to my original socks)
Shoes - Frye Boot Company (out of production)
Knapsack - Jarnagin (25 years old and a dead-on reproduction of my original)
Haversack - Jarnagin (25 years old and again, dead-on reproduction of an original)
Blanket - Pat Kline (out of production)

Stationery and paper goods - Sullivan Press (still in business)

And I'll put my stuff next to originals anytime.

You used to hear this sort of exchange back in my day:

"Nice (insert item here). Where'd you get it?"

"I got it from this guy at an event. He had a ton of them and was selling them cheap. but he's dead now, so you can't get them anymore."

I remember speaking with Bill Brown last year. He said, "These guys have it easy now. You can buy anything. We had to make all our stuff."

Trooper Graham
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm just as kewl as the next guy. I have:

2 (count 'em-2!) Wareheim shell jackets from S&S Sutler
2 Georgia frame belts, one each from Trans-Miss and L.D. Haning (what should be even more impressive is that I actually spoke to both of them via phone!!!!!!)
1 Bender hat
1 Haversack from Jarnigan (oh, the horror!)
1 truck by Ford - black with a kewl ARE cap (only took me 48 years to get my "dream" vehicle)
1 Citizen wristwatch
BVD's from Walmart (some Jockey's from Macy's when I want to feel "special")
Tube socks from Sears
I get my hair cut at J.C. Penney's 'cause I won't have a "barber" touch it
And I have a dog that my wife and I rescued from a disreputable breeder who could care less about any of the above.....as should the rest of us.

Who are we trying to impress?

Mark

:D :D :D You're OK in my book Mark. ;)

Trooper Graham
12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Stationery and paper goods - Sullivan Press (still in business)

Mr Sullivan,

Can you produce Illinois period money in bulk?

Sam

road_apple1861
12-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Fatigue blouse-Dan Wambaugh
Trousers-J.Lammers
Home spun shirt-Good friend Kurt
Forage cap-Osman
Leathers-J.Lammers
Brogens-J.Lammers

tenfed1861
12-05-2006, 04:54 PM
What?!!!Bob Sullivan gets his paper good from Sullivan's Press?How can that be?(Sorry,Bob,just being a smart alic)
Cullen

Bummer
12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I have to be one with AZ reenactor here...I do know enough of what the originals are like to know what is good and bad...so don't have to depend on some name brand. ****, I don't even know WHO made half my stuff, but some of the things are old tried and true stuff I have used for many years made by the original maker and are marked as such.

My list:

Jacket--Chris Daley
Trousers--don't know
Cartridge box--CS Storms, New York
Cap box--Jewel, Hartford
Belt and buckle--E Gaylord, Chicopee
Musket--Springfield Armory
Bayonet--Springfield Armory (maybe Harpers Ferry)
Bayonet scabbard--CS Storms, NY (getting a new one though)
Forage cap (only when I get gussied up)--M&G N.Y. otherwise I have several different ones
Buttons--Scovill, Waterbury
Canteen--Porter Booth, Phila. (and it's sky blue)
Shoes--Greg Connel
Haversack--don't know
Cup--don't know
Plate--canteen half I blew apart dacades ago when they were cheap
Spoon--don't know but dated 1862
Greatcoat--S. Waldron
Frockcoat--S.Waldron
Vest--S. Waldron
Knapsack--don't know
Blanket--don't know
Gum blanket--Nick Sekela
Socks--don't know
Shirt--don't know
NCO sword (if I ever use it)--F. Roby
Baldrick--don't know, is unmarked.

You get the idea. I don't mean to denegrate some fine makers here by not recognizing their products (the blanket for instance--very fine, but I just didn't pay attention to who made it). I have just never been particularly a brand name person, and have or had enough original stuff (like a US blanket) that I don't feel the need to rely on brand names.

rebel yell
12-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Can't say I put much stock in name brands. More interested in how an item compares to originals.

That said, I have stuff from several different makers.

I agree. Yes, the good name makers have the best stuff because most are living historians as well. They have done exhaustive research to get it right. But I don't like name dropping, most people can tell quality from crap when you take the field. :rolleyes: