PDA

View Full Version : Belt Width

MStuart
03-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm looking at various sutler's offerings of the "Georgia" frame waist belt. Each one, either highly authentic or less so, seems to offer a belt between 1 3/4" and 2" in width. Can anyone point me in the direction, or does anyone know, a "standard" width of that type belt. Or, was there such an animal being as they were mass produced?

Mark

Jim Mayo
03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/csequip/csbelts.html

The one on the above page was slightly less than 2 inches in width. I suspect they could very well vary between 1.75 and 2 inches because of various contractors.

bob 125th nysvi
03-18-2006, 08:53 PM
While I can respect your drive to be as authentic as possible I suspect Jim is right. A quarter inch varience isn't really enough for the government's to worry about when they are trying to equip millions of soldiers.

Besides I don't think I want anybody near me who is obsessive enough to want to neasure my belt width.

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance NY

MStuart
03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Me Obsessive? Me Obsessive? Me Obsessive? Me Obsessive?

Mark Mark Mark Mark

HighPrvt
03-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm looking at various sutler's offerings of the "Georgia" frame waist belt. Each one, either highly authentic or less so, seems to offer a belt between 1 3/4" and 2" in width. Can anyone point me in the direction, or does anyone know, a "standard" width of that type belt. Or, was there such an animal being as they were mass produced?

Mark

Mark,
Check out Jason Rich's offerings http://www.homespunwares.com/ while he doesn't currently offer a "Ga. Frame" his roller buckle belts are sharp, I just recieved one of his 1 3/4", and love it.
These belts are very under represented, and are good for any theatre/ time frame.

bob 125th nysvi
03-19-2006, 11:19 AM
OK, we're shooting you when your captured.

I don't need a captured obssessive reb starting at my belt it might give guys the wrong idea!

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

MStuart
03-19-2006, 11:37 AM
That could bring new meaning to the phrase "Checking out your kit".
(Insert rim shot sound effect here)

Seriously though, the differences in what sutlers offer can be striking, as we all should know. This'll be my first venture into the waist belt area (previously using the ol' saber belt) and I wanted an idea on what I should accept as correct. Having contacted a couple of the more authentic sutlers of these particular wares, the 1 3/4" to 2" is, indeed, the norm for those type belts and I have placed my orders. Looking at on-line sutlers though, and you'll see what I mean.

Sometimes this hobby can make your head hurt...........

Mark "Brokeback Rebel"

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Hallo!

Even among Federal plates of a standardized pattern, one finds some small variations in size.
The so-called "Georgia frame" buckle is more of a "form" than any standardized thing when the maker set and cast the sand molds.
For example, looking at some originals:

2.50 X 2.84 inches
2.40 X 2.96 inches
2.40 X 2.60 inches
2.10 X 2.31 inches

However, on a heretical note, it could be argued that if the men in a unit all received the same buckle/belts from the same source, they may be "batched" or in quantity rather than widly varying belt to belt.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

reb64
03-20-2006, 01:07 AM
wow, with a name like that, a tent inspection is in order