PDA

View Full Version : Sack Coats

terry sorchy
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
To All,
If you have an old or mainstream fed Sack Coat and are thinking of upgrading but just dont have a lot of cash PLEASE go to W&W company and check out their XMas Sale. Their Standard grade Sack Coats that are killer coats with all bells and whistles, i.e correct fabric, handsewn buttonholes, proper reenforcements, lined and everything are in stock and on SALE. Dan researches everything he does and is superb to work with. Give him a call and dont let this deal pass you by.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

John Legg
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
i second that.

ALSO. he has 10 percent of every thing in stock! check that out too!

http://www.wwandcompany.com/instock.html

:D

toptimlrd
11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Haven't bought a sack from Dan, but the sky blue jean trousers I bought from him earlier this year have been fantastic.

terry sorchy
11-27-2006, 05:04 PM
For 125.0 for a sack coat plus 10% off, howw could anyone not buy one?
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

theknapsack
11-27-2006, 05:19 PM
So Terry,
How many did you buy?

terry sorchy
11-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Tell Ya at the meeting Riley my boy:)
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

RJSamp
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
For 125.0 for a sack coat plus 10% off, howw could anyone not buy one?
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

a) already have an authentic sack coat, don't need another

b) you can get one from Jarnigan's for under $90 everyday...and no, you don't need a linned coat

c) some impression's don't need a sack coat

d) there are those that refuse to galvanize blue

e) money's tight

Are there other's?

texfed1554
11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Calm down man, its just a suggestion.

Thanks,

terry sorchy
11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Mr Samp,
Jarnigans dont hold a candle to W&W's. For a few extra dollars you get a great coat. I guess my thread was aimed at those federally minded. Tell me something, why do you sound so angry all the time? Just curious.
Terry Sorchy

jademonkey
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
a) already have an authentic sack coat, don't need another

b) you can get one from Jarnigan's for under $90 everyday...and no, you don't need a linned coat

c) some impression's don't need a sack coat

d) there are those that refuse to galvanize blue

e) money's tight

Are there other's?

a. Me too, they're great. If anyone does need one - Dan is having a sale on a great product

b. This isn't a slight against Jarnigan, but once you add in shipping costs, costs of sewing on buttons (two things included with W&W blouses) they are then a lot more even. Plus, with Jarnigan's sack you have to sew your own buttonholes. Unlined coats were common, but are over-represented (my opinion and generalization)

c. Absolutely, but a good state issue jacket or frock coat will cost a lot more

d. Wheaton, Ill?

e. This I understand, people should not buy stuff they don't need. Wait, who am I kidding - that's what this hobby is all about.

John Legg
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
i Think everyone has something to upgrade to.

and yes i would choose a Wambaugh fatigue blouse over a Jarnigan.
i truly think dan and brian have put more research into them.

a. Cost more, but you get a Great Authentic Fatigue Blouse
b. People comment you on your nice jacket
C. I feel better, when i have a Blouse that was made from original patterns(not saying they(jarnigan) dont) but mine(not a wambaughs, but similar) have the correct materials, where when the Indigo dyed flannel fades, it turns into a lighter indigo blue. other than a jarnigan which probaly fads to a purple.
D. if you get an unlined blouse, the seams are felled. rather than just keeping them how they are.
i can keep going.

Notice this picture of the different Contract Fatigue blouses.
Taken from Dan and Brians site.(www.wwandcompany.com/contractblouse.html)
Standard, Museum, SA
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/JskaterL/blouses5.jpg

Thanks and Cheers.

MStuart
11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
A wise friend of mine made this observation a while back: Male reenactors have absolutely nothing on a bunch of "shopaholic" women. As soon as we get to an event, we like to show off our latest clothing purchase to our friends. (Although hardly a Versace, we hold a Sekela or Daley with the same reverence) Then we sit around in groups and talk about how good/bad someone looks in their clothes. Not to mention how we "wouldn't be caught dead in THAT!" And finally, we like to top it all off by going shopping. :-)

A few examples heard at events;

Where did you get your new coat? Nice!!
Did you see the trousers that guy was wearing? Sheesh!!
Where did you get those suspenders? I've got to get me a pair!!
Wanna go to the sutlers? _______has those new cap pouches and I've GOT to get me one!!
You're not gonna go out wearing THAT, are you?

Mark

John1862
11-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Wanna go to the sutlers? _______has those new cap pouches and I've GOT to get me one!!

Mark....you didn't happen to hear this at the last Cedar Creek did you? It sounds awfully familiar :shock:

W,W & Co.'s sack coats do look excellent, and for the price, you really can't beat it. I've got one on my Christmas list.

Rob
11-27-2006, 11:37 PM

I thought we had that discussion already...

(I have a Jarnie "linned" coat, and have had it for three years. It now resides in my closet, because I have two better ones. And, horror of horrors, it hasn't turned purple yet.)

Guy Gane III
11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
a. :evil:
b. :evil:
c. :evil:
d. :evil:

Why do people have to settle for less than they deserve... or in some cases not.

theknapsack
12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Tell Ya at the meeting Riley my boy:)
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

I won't be able to make it to the meeting. Traffic's a nightmare (on I-80 at least) with the recent snow, plus I have some work to do on the homefront. Hope you guys have a great time.
RJ,
I'm not quite sure why saving 35 bucks on a sack coat but sacrificing some quality is a worthwhile endevour for yourself.

westcoastcampaigner
12-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Are we honestly saying that the price Brian and Dan are selling their sack coats for isn't affordable. Come on! I own books about the about the Civil War that cost me more. You can't beat that price. I swear some people squeeze a quarter til' the eagle screams and the hobby suffers because of it. News flash to all you who swear by Jarnigan...it's not the 90's anymore and there products have fallen way short of what the hobby deserves since then. They say their products are based on originals in their collection but when you look at the finished product it doesn't resemble the original one bit. I'm sorry but you can't put a price on history.

Josh Sawyer
Liberty Rifles

GreencoatCross
12-02-2006, 06:30 PM
We are able to produce unlined blouses as well, hand or machine-felled, it's just that no one has asked for years!

I am daydreaming about producing a limited run of a unique unlined sack coat currently owned by Don Troiani. It belonged to a 44th Mass. soldier and was machine-sewn with fine brown thread but the seams were folded, pressed, then sewn to itself. Looks like a French seam but isn't. The issue is saving up the cash for the cloth.

Thanks for the support guys. Dan and I really enjoy working with our customers on standard and custom orders alike and seeing this kind of support from the community really keeps us going! It definitely motivates me to push ahead with developing new projects.

RJSamp
12-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I won't be able to make it to the meeting. Traffic's a nightmare (on I-80 at least) with the recent snow, plus I have some work to do on the homefront. Hope you guys have a great time.
RJ,
I'm not quite sure why saving 35 bucks on a sack coat but sacrificing some quality is a worthwhile endevour for yourself.

Riley, you know me better than that....I've already got top drawer stuff, including original bugles and cavalry trumpets, for literally anything I bring to a reenactment..... Wedeward, Sekela, Daley, Sullivan, Dirty Billy, Doug Kidd, Ken Gough, Eddins, Timour, even a Smithy (that would be a forage cap for you newcomers) purchased in May 1998 ......

For you, or others, $35 may be significant....especially when you add it up over 20 or 30 items.....$100 or $150 cartridge boxes....$525 Frock Coats....an extra pair of socks.....the list goes on. I challenged Mike Chapman and others to come up with a comparison list with accurate numbers that showed ACCURATELY how much more it costs to be authentic.....if the answer is $500 more on $1,100 mainstream purchases that might be a decent answer.....buying used or making it yourself must be accurately accounted for (time is not free, if you made it yourself their must be a cost associated with it....minimum wage, $10 an hour opportunity cost, etc.).

You can't see machine felled seams in an unlined sack coat when the coat is on the soldier........
linned sack coats are overrepresented in the cph hobby......and the number of linned coats with ripped out linings exposing the unfelled inner seams is definitely underrepresented.

and it's not about the perfectly stitched gear.....time to get past the gear, the talk at a reenactment about weft, warp, weave, whip stitches......

We need more people who can comprehend Change Front To the Rear on 1st Comapny. Understand what "We fired off our cartridges at a fearsome rate, until we were forced to scrounge more from our dead and wounded comrades" means. Realize that it's not a Triad of Man, Method, Materials... but a Quad of MEN, Man, Method, Materials (and maybe a Quince of MEN, MILITARY, Man, Method, Materials). Realize that If I have a decent sack coat that I don't need two more....or one more..... Realize that one of the barriers to numbers at events is the cost of buying the equipment. And realize that an 80 man regiment isn't Grand, isn't authentic, and isn't two 44 man brigades.

Jim of the SRR
12-03-2006, 06:46 PM
For you, or others, $35 may be significant....especially when you add it up over 20 or 30 items.....$100 or $150 cartridge boxes....$525 Frock Coats....an extra pair of socks.....the list goes on. I challenged Mike Chapman and others to come up with a comparison list with accurate numbers that showed ACCURATELY how much more it costs to be authentic.....if the answer is $500 more on $1,100 mainstream purchases that might be a decent answer.....buying used or making it yourself must be accurately accounted for (time is not free, if you made it yourself their must be a cost associated with it....minimum wage, $10 an hour opportunity cost, etc.).

I suggest skipping buying an A-frame or wall tent. Skip buying a cooler and a cot. Skip buying a camp chair and cooking ware. Skip buying a lantern and crate. Skip buying a large $35,000 pickup to haul it all in. Once you skip all these purchases, you can buy better gear. I am tired of the money excuse. This hobby costs some minimum funds, no matter if you are mainstream or campaigner. It just sounds like an old, lame excuse!

Jim Butler

jurgitemvaletem
12-03-2006, 08:30 PM
This is for RJ:

the following lists are not to promote any individual purveyor of goods to the Civil War hobby, but are posted for the intelectual enlightenment for those who care.

the lists are comprised from prices on goods sold by Fall Creek and The Jersey Skilletlicker, Matt Woodburn, Carter and Jasper, WW&co. and tranMis. depot. They are prices of items that would comprise the average federal kit.

Fall Creek --- Jersey Skilletlicker(and other)

sack coat $129 --- $180
trowsers $92 ---- $175
cotton shirt $34.50 --- $85
forage cap $35 --- $95
brogans $94.50 --- $185
socks(wool) $8.95 --- $65
belt $18 --- $45
capbox $16.50 --- $65
cartridge box $39.50 --- $190
cartridge box sling $18.50 --- $30
bayonet and scabbard $47.50 --- $60 (+bayonet $34.95)
haversack (tarred) $26.95 --- $70
knapsack $89.50 --- $250
rifle (enfield) $475 --- $475 (+defarb $200)
blanket (wool) $42.50 --- $99
blanket (gum) $49.50 --- $98

totals: 1264.90 ------- 2401.95
difference of 1137.05

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

MStuart
12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
socks(wool) $8.95 --- $65

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

Nothin for nothin, but were these socks made by Mrs. Lee herself?

A little pricey, don't you think?

RJ and I may have a hard time agreeing on the time of day, but he's all that AND a bag of chips on this item.

Show me a married man who has honestly told his wife he bought a pair of $65 socks and I'll show you a man with stones as big a churchbells :-)

Mark

Phil
12-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Don't forget the savings of not buying an A-frame tent, camp chairs, ironware, extra coolers for reenacting, cots, and a trailer to haul everything in.

tompritchett
12-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Don't forget the savings of not buying an A-frame tent, camp chairs, ironware, extra coolers for reenacting, cots, and a trailer to haul everything in.

Frankly, I am also tired of hearing that line too. A beginning member of a mainstream unit will definitely end up buying an A-tent with stakes - a total of approximately $150.00, and probably a lantern ($20). Everything else is optional as are the specialty coats the campaigners may buy. Believe it or not, most mainstreamers do not have dedicated coolers for reenacting, nor trailers for hauling stuff. Most of the iron-work is owned by the company, unless a whole family is reeancting. Yes, they may also have a camp chair ($50). Even the company ironware of a kettle, iron skillet and grate is still only about $100, but those costs are usually assumed by families or new units starting out. A new reenactor might even have a wooden box to hide things in - $80 and possibly a sleeping bag for cold weather ($80 used). Cots - not a requirement although many do use them - $60. Trailers, I have never had a need for such even when I was the acting 1SGT for my unit so it is not essential for any mainstreamer as multiple uniforms of different types (frock coat, RD-II, Columbus depot, ets.) are not essential to every c/p/h impression.

So with the essential extras of mainstream reenacting, we are talking less than $200 over and above equipment needed for campaigning and for the extras and individual might have - another $290. That total is less than half of the $1137.05 difference calculated above by Jurgitem. This has always been RJ's point and, for once, I agree with him.

Saving money is not the reason to campaign. Instead it is the desire to more closely experience the realities of what they experienced back then. There is nothing wrong with that reason at all and campaigners should be proud of that justification. But trying to argue that it is less expensive to enter than mainstream reenacting just does not hold up under closely analysis of the costs on both sides.

Can we now move on to other more important subjects?