PDA

View Full Version : Hair?

twl
11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm new to this and i'm starting up soon. My hair is long and i'm trying to figure out if i should cut it short or keep it long?

bizzilizzit
11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
That depends. Are you male or female?
Elizabeth

tompritchett
11-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Look at pictures. Very long hair was not as common in the pictures as you see it a reenactments. Usually you will see medium length hair in a block, versus tapered, look.

twl
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Look at pictures. Very long hair was not as common in the pictures as you see it a reenactments. Usually you will see medium length hair in a block, versus tapered, look.

Thank you.

ngairish
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
I know this doesn't help your question any, but I'm in the same boat you're in. Except mine is exremely short. I have a high and tight hair cut, Marine Corps Style for those who don't know what that is. With my job I have to keep it really short. So is this a problem?

Jim Mayo
11-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Take a look at the dead soldier pictures in the Lib of Congress. Some wore their hair short and some long. By long it is not below the shoulders but somewhere around the bottom of the collar. You see the longer hair in the April pictures around Petersburg and the shorter hair in the Gettysburg photos. Makes sense doesn't it?

tompritchett
11-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I know this doesn't help your question any, but I'm in the same boat you're in. Except mine is exremely short. I have a high and tight hair cut, Marine Corps Style for those who don't know what that is. With my job I have to keep it really short. So is this a problem?

If anyone asks, you have a hair lice infestation and are keeping it short until they are gone. Be sure to scratch your head every now and then in wild fits as if you just can't stand it any longer. Also, ask your Bn surgeon if he has any medicines to help sooth the itching and kill those pesky vermin.

As you can see, you can work your short hair into your impression and have some fun play acting a very real problem for the soldiers.

Mint Julep
11-29-2006, 09:05 PM
You can multiply this impression by shaving a few spots on your torso about a week before the event. The little hairs will be popping out during the event and catching on your clothing and make you itch. The scratching is quite natural, but so repetitive as to make your friends wonder.

I had a stress test about a week before an event one time and they shaved little patches on my chest for those heart monitor pads. I was scratching all weekend. It took me a while to figure out why and then I found it thoroughly fun.

Some degree of randomness in the shaved spots is a good idea.

MJ

Frenchie
11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
You know where they shave for a vasectomy? That's right, makes you look like you have crabs. :mrgreen:

ScottCross
11-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm new to this and i'm starting up soon. My hair is long and i'm trying to figure out if i should cut it short or keep it long?
US Army regulations in 1861 state that the hair must not touch the collar and the beard should be well trimmed.

NoahBriggs
11-30-2006, 03:46 PM
US Army regulations in 1861 state that the hair must not touch the collar and the beard should be well trimmed.

That's what the Regs may state. The photos and diaries out in the field may (and often will) tell a slightly different story.

There was an article about hair length and styles by Jon Isaacson - "What's wrong with this picture? Well, hair it is!". Try Googling it to see if it turns up. Otherwise, pick up a copy of the 2nd Edition of the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (which is good to have anyway). The article will definitely be in there. It discusses what the Regs state, and then cites diaries of troops in the field and their remarks on personal grooming.

Another good article in the CRRC is "You Folks Would Hardly Recognize Me . . ." which was about the physical appearance of the troops. The article examines closely the patient photos from Harewood Hospital - size, height, weight, hair length, personal grooming, their wounds, and even a few details about clothes, if you care to whip out the magnifying glass.

Good luck with your search. If you have lice, stop by the surgeon's tent. We'll fumigate you. ;)

mike boyd
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
leave it long and slick it down with gobs of Dapper Dan hair pomade! the look of your hair when you climb out from under your blanket in the morning will be well worth it!
mike boyd

shoulderedarms1861
11-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, truth be told all Civil War soldiers were bald. You really should run down to the local barber shop and get a Cojack hehe : )

reddcorp
12-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Mike,

I thought you wuz a FOP man.

AWRedd

lambrew
12-01-2006, 09:14 PM
I have seen hair in pictures in all lengths. Shaved heads were mostly an attempt to rid ones self of lice, also scarlet fever made the hair fall out, if I'm not mistaken. longer hair for an early war impression perhaps, but after a few months in the field most soliders kept it short for comfort as well as for bug control.

Your obt' servant....
Sean Collicott

lambrew
12-01-2006, 10:53 PM
I forgot to mention, read all the diaries and letters home you can. These sources offer all kinds of insight to everyday soldering that most of the histories gloss over, or don't mention at all. Not just in regard to hair, but attitudes on the war, food, and so on. I hope this helps.

Your obt' servant....
Sean Collicott