PDA

View Full Version : Using a Bugle

Redcoat Surgeon
10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I've got a question and I was wondering if someone out there would be able to help. I use to play trombone in high school and was wondering if anything that I learned from that would transfer over to playing bugle? My main concern is that I graduated so long ago (22 yrs), I am wondering if I would have to re-learn everything.

Thanks,
John Ferrannini
Asst Surgeon, 1st Lt.
67th NY

hconverse
10-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi John,

Of course having played any type of brass instrument is definitely a plus when playing a bugle. You should be able to make a reasonably good sound from the start but trying to hit the high notes could be a challenge.

The biggest difference is going to be the size of the mouthpiece and getting your lip into shape. It's a much smaller mouthpiece and hitting the high notes takes a much tighter embouchure than when you played the trombone. You'll need alot more lip power to play many of the bugle calls.

Good luck!!!

maillemaker
10-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I've got my old Boy Scout bugle and from time to time I find it in the closet and try belting out Reveille or other calls. I am RUSTY.

Steve

RJSamp
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately, most of us are Steve......it's been a long time since playing the solo on the 50 yard line of the high school football field at Homecoming for too many of us....

Cadet
10-14-2011, 03:33 PM
You could look at the good news--it's got a lot fewer notes it can play.