PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a unit around the STL

twl
11-24-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm looking for a group to start with in or around the st louis area. I'm new to this never having doing it before.

Trooper Graham
11-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm looking for a group to start with in or around the st louis area. I'm new to this never having doing it before.

Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, Union or Confederate, etc etc ?????? There are loads of everything in your area just on both sides of the Mississippi.

huntdaw
11-24-2006, 01:11 PM
A name would be nice too. I'm sure your name is not TWL and that avatar doesn't look like the real you. Just showing up and advertising your presence is a bit lacking.

There are many units in the St. Louis/ Eastern/Southeastern Mo area and a goodly number on the Illinois side of the river. Give us a bit more information about just what you want to do.

You might also think about what kind of reenacting you prefer to do because that will also make a difference in whatever unit you hook up with. There are folks that like to do this with their families in tow, some that go it with just the guys but they use tents, camp chairs, cots etc. and some that leave the modern stuff at home and try to replicate as nearly as possible what a CW soldier on campaign lived like. Each type has its own way of doing things.

Good luck!

twl
11-24-2006, 03:02 PM
i'm 16 i'm just trying to figure out somewhere to start. doesn't matter what side but i'm looking for infantry. Considering i've never rode a horse in my life.
I'm not giving my name out until its nessicary.

Trooper Graham
11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm not giving my name out until its nessicary.

Some might suggest a 'spy' impression then. ;)

How much money are you able to invest into your impression?

VaTrooper
11-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Let's see...Your 16, don't wish to share your name, and cant use a spell check. So I have good and bad news. The bad is I'd say...5% of the hobby just wrote you off as a joke. But the good is the other 95% already likes you.

twl
11-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Let's see...Your 16, don't wish to share your name, and cant use a spell check. So I have good and bad news. The bad is I'd say...5% of the hobby just wrote you off as a joke. But the good is the other 95% already likes you.
I don't have spell check as i haven't down loaded the script for it. Thank you very much. And I can't do so at the moment since i'm cleaning out my computer.

If i could change my name i would, but i'm not going to bug the admins to change it

VaTrooper
11-24-2006, 04:49 PM
No download needed. I'd bookmark it too.

http://www.spellcheck.net/

twl
11-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Thank you.

Sgt_Pepper
11-24-2006, 06:20 PM

Ahem... "You are" is properly contracted as "you're". "Can't" has an apostrophe. People in glass houses, etc. And let's not go any farther over that "Us vs Them" line, if you please.

VaTrooper
11-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Ok I missed them. But so did the AOL spell check and the site I linked. So I'm only as perfect as they are.

Sgt_Pepper
11-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Ok I missed them. But so did the AOL spell check and the site I linked. So I'm only as perfect as they are.

Not to get into a big discussion here, but no, you're not "only as perfect as they are". Spelling checkers are only algorithms, and you have a mind.

And now, back to the topic at hand.

VaTrooper
11-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Yes but Im not going to abandon the spell check and break out the text books to make sure there are no mistakes. So yes I am in fact only as perfect as the spell check.

skamikaze
11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Too bad there is not a grammar check on the market somewhere.

Sgt_Pepper
11-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes but Im not going to abandon the spell check and break out the text books to make sure there are no mistakes. So yes I am in fact only as perfect as the spell check.

In that case, you have even less room to point out grammatical errors. I didn't suggest you abandon the spelling checker, but to use both it and your brain. But I suspect you knew that. Pretending to misunderstand, sticking your tongue out and impressing the other kids by tweaking Teacher is fun. What a hoot.

Too bad there is not a grammar check on the market somewhere.

MS Word has a grammar checking feature.

TWL, please use the Search feature to look for posts discussing how to research an impression. The Civilian - General Discussion forum would be a good place to ask about this, they seem to have a good handle on it and are much less likely to go off topic.

And that, gentlemen, is it. This subject and thread are now closed.