PDA

View Full Version : Mangal Pandey: The Rising (2005)

sbl
03-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Available on NETFLIX.....

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70042714&trkid=90529

Mangal Pandey: The Rising (2005)
The Rising: Ballad of Mangal Pandey

Cause we don't get enough Sepoy Mutiny films. Remember it was in 1857 AND in all the papers. Where'de you think you got the "Havelock" from?

MStuart
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Aamir Khan.......wonder if he's related to Ghengis or possibly Khan Noonian Singh?

Just thinkin out loud

Mark

sbl
03-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Mark,

Aamir Khan also did....

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169102/

History, Cricket, and music! The British military band plays "Marching Through Georgia"!

"Sari" about that......I work with Indians.

MStuart
03-08-2006, 11:15 AM
"Marching through Georgia"......not to be confused with "Walking in Memphis", a post-war diddy by Marc Cohn and immortalized in an episode of "The X-Files".

I live a very sad life.................. sigh

Mark

tenfed1861
03-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Marc,join the club.Meetings are on Tuesday nights.
Cullen Smith

sbl
05-02-2006, 10:43 PM
The movie isn't available from Netflix yet but I got a copy from my Indian film connection. I was looking to see how they handled the change from the Brown Bess to the Enfield Rifle in the Sepoy regiments. The rumor of Pig or Cow fat being used to grease the cartidges was one of the issues leading to the Sepoy Mutiny.

Guns were sqib firing "props" looking close to what Brown Bess's and Enfields looked like. The steps of priming and capping were not shown or left out. In this movie greedy English contractors ARE greasing the cartridges with banned fats. I'm pretty sure cartridges came from the War Department in England and not the local bazaar.

British civilian costumes and uniforms look pretty good but with some problems you'll easily spot.

The battle scene against the Afgans is pretty silly with the Sepoy infantry attacking cavalry. A Large number of extras used in the final scenes. The CGI British steamers are effective.

Beautiful women! (European and Indian) Songs and dancing pretty good. Musical numbers break out for no good reason in most Indian movies. Worth a look....

MStuart
05-02-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm wondering if they used the cheap Pakistani stuff that has overtaken so many living history markets......?

Mark - Ugly American

I saw the opening and had to take it

sbl
05-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't think the the Indians use ANY Pakistani stuff. See another good movie....

Line of Control (2-Disc Series) (2003)

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60036616&trkid=181036&strkid=1044004410_21_0

"This film dramatizes events that occurred as the hostility between India and Pakistan over Kashmir came to a head in 1999, when more than 1,000 men crossed the "Line of Control" that separates the two locations. Taliban and Pakistani soldiers took over the area, blocking the main road that linked the regions. Standing their ground, Indian soldiers slowly drove them away, but not without losing more than 400 of their own men first."

This is the Indian version of "We Were Soldiers". In LOC the army wives at home break into song instead of passing out death telegrams.