PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for waterproofing

sharps1863
11-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Does anyone have the recipe for making the black type waterproofing that was put on the ground cloths and haversacks. I have a poncho that needs recoating. Thanks Tim C.

flattop32355
11-20-2006, 12:39 AM
head over to the Authentic Campaigner website and, using the search button, type in "haversack+paint". That should get you into the articles/threads that answer your question.

Rob Weaver
11-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Not what you're looking for, but the "Confederate Receipt Book" contains a recipe called "Chinese Waterproofing" that involves 4 oz of wax disolved in a gallon of turpentine. Soak the cloth and let it dry. I waterproofed a raincoat 3 years ago and it still sheds water like a duck's back.

Richmond Depot
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi,

Try Linseed oil, lamp black, turpentine and Japan dryer. You will need to play with the recipe to get it right. The more humid your location then the less Turpentine and japan dryer.

Lampblack can be purchased in powder form from Art supply stores.

Best,

3rdUSRedleg
11-20-2006, 06:42 PM
the "Confederate Receipt Book" contains a recipe called "Chinese Waterproofing"

Rob
Can you give me info on this book please.. maybe an email shout. ;)
I found your turpentine recipe quite interesting.

John Legg
11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi,

Try Linseed oil, lamp black, turpentine and Japan dryer. You will need to play with the recipe to get it right. The more humid your location then the less Turpentine and japan dryer.

Lampblack can be purchased in powder form from Art supply stores.

Best,

This is the more correct way, but the other way works. i personaly like this way.

John

Wolfgang
11-20-2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.geocities.com/union_guard/oilcloth_and_painted_accoutermen.htm

Ephraim_Zook
11-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Rob
Can you give me info on this book please.. maybe an email shout. ;)
I found your turpentine recipe quite interesting.

Looky here: http://docsouth.unc.edu/receipt/receipt.html

3rdUSRedleg
11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Thank You so much for the link Mr Zook!!!
I love to read about and research old methods of just about anything i can tinker with.