PDA

View Full Version : Enfield rifle sling question

Richard Schimenti
11-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I am looking for a very "correct" sling for my 1858 Enfield rifle. Any help in locating the proper supplier would be greatly apprecaited.

Richard Schimenti

terry sorchy
11-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Don Smith at Trans Mississippi Depot or The New Richmond Depot. Both have excellent slings.
Cheers:p
Terry Sorchy

Jim Mayo
11-17-2006, 11:00 PM
I haven't seen the sling offered by Don Smith but the one from the Richmond Depot is for the P-1853 enfield and well documented through original images. Since the front swivel on the P-53 is approximately 9 inches further from the rear swivel than the swivel on the P-58. That would make the P-53 sling too long for use on the P-58.

Are using this for a CS or US impression?

If CS, a cotton CS sling of the correct length would be a good one to use. If US or CS you may want to try a M-1855 Springfield sling which is very close to the correct length.

Richard Schimenti
11-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Confederate impression.

I have just gotten the rifle back from John Zimmerman and I want it as correct as can be, down to the sling.

My unit is the 2nd Kentucky Cav. AoT and the two band Enfield rifle was a favorite rifle, but I have been unable to find information on the proper sling.

Richard Schimenti 2nd Kentucky Cav. Co. D

terry sorchy
11-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Call Don at TMD he will yake care of you. Trust me
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

Jim Mayo
11-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Just curious, what did Zimmerman do to the rifle?

If the picture loads, here is an original P58 naval rifle with original CS cotton sling.

Richard Schimenti
11-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I bought the rifle used and it was "well used' by a skirmish shooter. they had the high sight and it was quite beat up but the price was right.

This rifle is one of the ealry Parker Hale Birmingham rifles, with a 4 digit serial number.

John buffed and blued, replaced the front sight and put on the proper proof marks.

John was more than helpful on the phone and the turn around time was two weeks, what i was originally told it was going to be.

The cost with shipping and insurance was $213.00 and i am well pleased with the rifle.

When I heft my rifle compared to the armi sport or euro arms, they feel like a club compared to mine.

I am not exaggerating, my rifle feels light, well balanced, almost alive compaered to the E.A or Ar. sport.

This might be my imagination but I don't believe so.

Rich Schimenti 2nd Kentucky Cav. Co. D Morgna's Raiders

Jim Mayo
11-18-2006, 08:21 PM
The old parker hale version was well made. I used to own one and sold it 20 years ago. I recently tried to buy it back but no deal. There are a few inexpensive things you could do to make it more authentic looking. Contact me off fourm if you are interested.

Richard Schimenti
11-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Jim I sent you a PM