PDA

View Full Version : Picture desired

NoahBriggs
11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I have tried searches on Google, the American Memory of the LOC, and numerous other places online. I cannot find any pictures of the US Government Pharmaceutical Laboratory at Astoria, Brooklyn, New York. The place burned down in February of 1865.

If anyone can steer me to a picture, that would be great.

Thanks!

Robert A Mosher
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Noah -
Among the other places, did you try the New York Public Library's online collection? The New York Times also has a large photo archive - not sure if non-subscribers can access the catalog but perhaps since they sell the photos?

Robert A. Mosher

NoahBriggs
11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
No, I had not considered that. Thanks!

celtfiddler
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Try Heritagequest if you have access to search their books.

Linda Trent
11-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Try Heritagequest if you have access to search their books.

Heritage Quest is a great site for a number of things, including the census. If you don't have it, check with your local library. Our library has a subscription to it and patrons are permitted to access it from our own homes just with the bar code on our library card. I haven't checked it for what you're asking, but just thought I'd add that in. I'm on a number of genealogical lists and it seems like a ton of libraries have it from what everyone says.

I know you said you searched Google, but did you also search Google Books? Sometimes text and pics don't always show up in a normal Google search.

Linda Trent
lindatrent@zoomnet.net

NoahBriggs
11-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Yes, I did. I tried different permutations of Astoria Laboratory Brooklyn NY but I did not get any relavent hits. Same thing on Google.

NY Public Library did not get any decent hits, though I was able to confirm there was a neighborhood in Brooklyn called Astoria, NY. There are pictures, but not of the lab.

NY Times apparently decided long ago they have a "members only" club online. You have to be a subscriber to use the majority of their features.

Once I am back from T'giving vacation I may hit the local library and see if they have access to HeritageQuest. I miss the heyday of college ten years ago. The library at college was my second home, complete with the NY Times 151 to last year on microfilm.

-----------
I know you said you searched Google, but did you also search Google Books? Sometimes text and pics don't always show up in a normal Google search.

celtfiddler
11-20-2006, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Linda Trent]Heritage Quest is a great site for a number of things, including the census. If you don't have it, check with your local library. QUOTE]

I'm fortunate to have access through a Navy Electronic Library program and it's been an invaluable research tool.

Another thought is try contacting the NY Historical Society or Astoria Historical Society. If you were in the Chicago area I'd suggest a trip to the Harold Washington Library Special Collections department to search the GAR collection or to the Newberry Library to check their holdings. I struck out searching the army's office of medical history website, National Library of Medicine image bank and the Portsmouth Naval Hospital Library and San Diego Naval Hospital Library sites.

NoahBriggs
11-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks. Those are also good ideas.

This is based on the assumption, of course, that someone took the time to take a pic of the lab in the first place. I believe Bristol-Myers-Squibb Big Pharma have a few images of Squibb's lab which was also in Brooklyn.

hanktrent
11-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, it's probably not going to be any easier to find, but wholesalers sometimes had line drawings of their buildings on their preprinted forms.

I'm looking at a copy of a Pittsburg Point Brewery form that begins "Shipped, in good order... on board" and then has blanks for the steamboat, the retail purchaser, the inventory purchased, etc., and it has a big honkin' engraving of the brewery building taking up most of the top. Same for a form from the Cincinnati Spice Mills, except the engraving is smaller. Others just have period clip art or decorative writing, so it's no guarantee. These were in the collection of a local store that was ordering from wholesalers.

But the point is, that would be one reason for the building to be photographed and engraved.

There's a book, "Medicines for the Union Army: The US Army Laboratories During the Civil War," which I haven't seen, but there's a chance it might have illustrations or have footnotes to guide you to an illustration, if you can find a copy in a library or ILL it.

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

NoahBriggs
11-20-2006, 01:02 PM
That book was my first look; I have it. No big or honkin' engravings of the Astoria lab, but there are descriptions of the whole complex. There are even some diagrams of the rooms for the percolators, steamers, mills and so on.

The book does have a picture of the lab at Philadelphia. The building even has a big, honkin' "US Army Laboratory" painted on the wall outside, just in case you missed it on your preliminary airborne recon. ;)

It's not important. Originally I was going to submit an article to the DEA on the strict accounting standards to receive and process opium at the lab. A picture would have been cool.

The rules for receipt and processing of raw opium are very similar to the rules in the current 21 Code of Federal Regulations Parts 1300-end (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_01/21cfrv9_01.html), which detail how industry manufactures, imports, distribrutes and reverse distributes controlled substances and precursor chemicals to prevent them from being diverted to illicit uses.

Even though I am still on the lookout for a picture, I feel this request was successful. Folks provided other places to look for pictures which I had not considered. Thanks again for the help! We fufilled my motto at the bottom of my signature.

celtfiddler
11-20-2006, 06:08 PM
According to Defense Visual Information pre 1982 DOD visual information records are in the hands of the National Archives

Here's the contact information I was able to find:

National Archives and Records Administration
Still Picture Branch (for still media)
Motion Picture Branch (for motion media)
8601 Adelphi Rd
College Park MD 20740-6001
301-713-6660

NoahBriggs
11-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, I was at the NY Public Library today. I dug around their database, hoping to get it to cough up a picture. No dice yet - but, I can try Harpers Weekly online, and the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.

Around February 1865 the lab burned down. That should be newsworthy enough to be covered in the NY Times, The Eagle, and maybe Harpers Weekly. When I get a chance I will rummage through those papers.

Micah Trent
01-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Noah,

I was wandering if you had any luck on coming across any photos of the US Government Pharmaceutical Laboratory at Astoria, Brooklyn, New York. I know you was looking pretty hard there for a while.

NoahBriggs
01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Nope. Could not find any pictures.

I found out after reading a label on a medicine tin that Astoria is on Long Island, not in Brooklyn. I may modify my search to see if it's there.