View Full Version : Manuals

Drummer
07-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I am looking for the following manual to add to my collection of Drum manuals:

Gardner 1780
Issac Day ( Isaac Days 1st Book) 1797
Clark (Benjamin Clarks Drum Book)
Robbins Drum and Fife Instructor 1812
Simpson & Canterburg (The Union Drum and Fife Book)
Tamplini (The Drum Major) 1880

Thanks!

33rdaladrummer
07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Clark - beafifer.com. If they are sold out, let me know.
Robbins - Ray Hauley (missing a couple pages) or beafifer.com
Simpson & Canterbury - I have a PDF of this I can send you
Tamplini - George Carroll (www.ropedrum.com). Let me know if you get a copy. My photocopy is missing a few pages including the one with Dixie.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you that Simpson & Canterbury PDF.

Drummer
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Still looking for the following and any other manuals ppl can recommend.

Gardner 1780
Issac Day ( Isaac Days 1st Book) 1797
Clark (Benjamin Clarks Drum Book)
Simpson & Canterburg (The Union Drum and Fife Book)
Tamplini (The Drum Major) 1880

RJSamp
08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Here's a great PDF of drummer's call through the centuries and a reference to Tamplini:

http://brtdesignportfolio.com/88th/website/Drummer%27s%20Call%20Through%20the%20Ages%201780-1880.pdf

Since this is a Brit book, how are your search efforts in Canada and England going?

EF32dINdrummer
03-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi! New to the Forum. Please forgive me if these items are already familiar to you.

Not a manual, as such. If I remember correctly, found at Carlisle Barracks and passed along by a member of the 2nd Md.

Title: "The duty of the United States Army". Photocopies of original manuscripts on staff paper about 10.5" x 14", in several different hands. Some of the names: "Sergt. Charles Henke", "Sergt. M[ichael] Moore", "Ft. Columbus, NY". On-line sources mention these men as instructors at Governor's Island.

Also "G. Browning, DM 2nd Artillery" and "Wm. L. B---?" (last name missing, off the page). And then "Gen. [Sylvester?] Churchill" (US Army Inspector General 1841-1861) and "Maj. A[lbemarle] Cady, 6th US Inf'y", although it seems the Major's unit was stationed on the West Coast during this period.

There are 30+ fife tunes, but (frustratingly) only 3 have beats with them. Some interesting points: "The Star-Spangled Banner" is marked as a Troop. In the Revielle, meas. 1-8 of the "The Hessian" tune (B+E, p.32) appear as a separate number with the title "Tin Kettle", then meas. 9-16 have the "Hessian" title. The tune marked "Dead March" is the one we know today as "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing"(!).

I've scanned in some pages, but my preview isn't visible to me. :cry: I suppose I'll be prevented from adding these until some time passes, but when I'm able, I'll continue...

Regards,

RJSamp
03-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Sure enough, Anachreon in Heaven (the Star Spangled Banner) can be used as a Troop.....the waltz arrangement is a fun piece to play......it has the three phrases in pairs (A-A, B-B, C-C), unlike today's version that's two pairs and a single phrase (A-A, B-B, C).

33rdaladrummer
03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
In the Revielle, meas. 1-8 of the "The Hessian" tune (B+E, p.32) appear as a separate number with the title "Tin Kettle", then meas. 9-16 have the "Hessian" title.

Are you sure that the Hessian isn't this version?

http://fifedrum.org/resources/music/nevins/23.shtml

Virtually every manual has the exact same version of the Hessian, except B&E. Here's B&E:

http://fifedrum.org/resources/music/be/32.shtml

B&E changes things up starting with measure 13.

Please send a copy to libertyhalldrumcorps@gmail.com

I can post it here and elsewhere.

Thanks!

Will Chappell
Liberty Hall Drum and Fife Corps

Jari
03-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Sure enough, Anachreon in Heaven (the Star Spangled Banner) can be used as a Troop.....the waltz arrangement is a fun piece to play......it has the three phrases in pairs (A-A, B-B, C-C), unlike today's version that's two pairs and a single phrase (A-A, B-B, C).

Huh?

'splain please....

The B section is repeated?

Thanks

EF32dINdrummer
03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Please send a copy to libertyhalldrumcorps@gmail.com

I can post it here and elsewhere.

Thanks!

Will Chappell
Liberty Hall Drum and Fife Corps

E-Mail sent-EF32dINdrummer

I hope this item will add to the scholarship of the Martial Music of the period; please post your comments.

Thanks.

EF32dINdrummer
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM

If one looks at some sources with only the air, the strains are repeated thus...
B+E p25 AABCBC Nevins p31 AAB(B?)CC* †Weller p23 AABCC Strube p61 AABC

In those with the air and the beating...
Hart p32 #40 AABC* Howe p62 AABBCC KB+C p33 AABBCC

* unclear due to stray/missing dots
† Samuel Weller "New and Improved Instructor for the Fife" 1862 J L Peters St Louis
A C Peters Cincinnati (copy at the Newberry Library, Chicago)

Sgt. Henke's version is AABCBC, which matches B+E.

Also, the only one with a fermata in the C strain is Weller, although Nevins has a ritard and an a tempo

As one can see, Hart and Strube (wherein is listed "Slow Retreat No 2) reflect the current practice of AABC.

I hope we have not ventured too far from the scope of the thread. Thanks.

Regards,

EF32dINdrummer
03-09-2012, 03:58 AM
The tune marked "Dead March" is the one we know today as "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing"(!).

Dead March = Christmas Carol? Yes, but upon closer inspection, it is actually: "Adeste Fidelis/O Come, All Ye Faithful...".

Please be patient--it seems I have not yet been granted permission to post attachments, but when I can, I will (altho I've sent PDF's to Will C of LHD+FC, who has offered to post them on my behalf. 3 Rolls for Will!!)

Regards,

33rdaladrummer
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Here are the first two pages of the manuscript Ed has kindly provided. The first thing I noticed was the similarity to Strube's 1869 manual for the first 3 tunes of the reveille. So I have also attached a side by side comparison of 3 Camps, Slow Scotch and Austrian. The Hessian is nearly identical to the version that is pretty much universal to all the other manuals except B&E and Hart. The Dutch and Quick Scotch have a couple variations from the "standard" versions.

I will upload the others and share what else I know shortly.

Sue Cifaldi believes this manuscript was prepared in 1858.

33rdaladrummer
03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Page 10:

"Respectfully forwarded to Gen. [Sylvester] Churchill...[by]A. Cady.

Sergt. C. Henke, Instructor of Fife
Sergt. M. Moore, Instructor of Drum

Ft. Columbus, New York, N.Y."

Charles Henke and Michael "Daddy" Moore were instructors at Gov. Island for decades. Churchill wanted to revise Scott's Tactics-- that was the impetus for this manuscript of camp duty for the fife.

33rdaladrummer
03-09-2012, 12:09 PM

33rdaladrummer
03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
The last one...