PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Reenactors?

82ndIll
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any other Southern California reenactors in attendance here. Anyone planning on attending the event in Vista the weekend of March 11-12?

Steve Gubin
San Diego, CA

Scott Harrington
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Steve,

Looks like nobody is going on that weekend. Vista is being moved to the next weekend due to rain.

It's putting a crunch on the St. Catherine's event in Anaheim on March 18-19. A shame. A little better planning on both parties would have been nice.

Scott Harrington
5th NYDZ
Co. C

Silas
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm having trouble visualizing a reenactment in Anaheim. Is there a link to this? I'm not ripping on the location or those who reenact there. I'm a native to the area, but moved away in the eighties when there were still orange groves in the heart of Orange County.

Silas,
a former chef in the New Orleans Main Kitchen - Disneyland, USA.

RJSamp
03-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Back in the 80's I used to entertain customers at Club 33....only place in the park to buy alcohol.....and SUPERB food. And Rod Carew and Reggie Jackson were playing for the Angels.

They have a reenactment every year in Huntington Beach, CA as well....used to live at Golden West and Warner (near Ocean View High School)...... this is always hard for me to visualize as sell....but it's several acres of grass, trees, bushes.....

Heck, we have living histories here in IL at a small HOUSE or two......Underground Railroad stops/museums..... Lombard, Downers Grove, Graue Mill, et al....

Many reenactments held on Football field (or smaller) sized 'battle grounds'...... (Sandwich IL, Naper Settlement....)

RJ Samp

Scott Harrington
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
The event in Anaheim is at the St.Catherine's Boys Military School. It is a fundraiser for them and is under the umbrella of the 'no mall too small' type event. They treat us right, money goes to a worthy cause and a good first event of the year event for those drill cobwebs.

As to a Disney connection we have two members who are employees there (different locations) and a third who has put time in at the Mouse prison.

Southern California has some nice areas for events but always the distance is compressed. Land is expensive out here and the orange groves have long departed. When we were planning on going back east I continually told our members to 'stretch the legs' ahead of time as an event back east easily has the battlefield a mile or two away, sutlers the other direction and toilet the other.

Surprisingly, the up side is we do have pyrotechnics for events out here. Adds a nice touch at those events.

The only California reenactors I have to laugh at is the Mormon Battalion. They do a fine impression, but they never fired a shot in anger and walked way too much. Some things authentic are not fun.

Scott Harrington
5th NYDZ
Co. C

82ndIll
03-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Scott,

A few days after posting here I noticed the forecast was not too favorable. I was actually hoping the event might go forward regardless of the weather, but as a mainstream event (is there any other kind in our region?) dependent upon paid admissions, I can certainly understand the rescheduling. It would be hard enough to convince some reeanactors to slog through the mud, let alone spectators. Our unit (6th US, Co G) has opted to attend Vista on the 18th & 19th, so we will not be at St. Catherine's.

I hear you on the "distance" factor. Being 51, I spend 30-40 minutes walking during my lunch hour 3-5 days each week...more out of fear at being a "huffing and puffing old guy" at a reenactment than due to any great reservoirs of self-discipline. Excepting the Oakley Tactical (which I have not attended), the only So Cal event I can recall that required marching more than a hundred or so yards was last year's Prado Event. I remember there being some complaints about the distance, and dust, of going from the Union camp to the "main" area. I hear they are going to place the camps closer this year. Pity. I thought the distance and the dust lent Prado a modicum more realism than the average So Cal event.

BTW, looking at your name and affiliation, it strikes me that you can only be the Scott Harrington under whom the 6th has "served" at a number of events. I'm sure you're acquainted with Al & Cliff. Always a pleasure, sir. :)

And I don't want to stray too far off the topic, Mr. Samp, but I had always heard of the legendary "hidden restaurant" of Disneyland. Interesting to come across someone who actually worked there. I wonder what might have brought you from California to Illinois. (Both my wife and I were born in Illinois, and have actually toyed with the idea of moving back there to be with family...so my remark is by no means intended to be negative. We try to visit each summer, and a part of me still yearns for the Midwest .)