PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting

ngairish
11-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm just starting reenacting. I was loking at a confederate outfit from Cresent City Sutler. My regiment is going to be the 35TH Tennessee Inf. Reg. Should I go with a sack coat or a shell coat. I was told I should probably go with the sack coat because of comfort. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

DaveGink
11-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Welcome.
I would suggest before buying anything (especially from Cresent City) to first see if your unit has published guidelines and/or an approved vendor list - they would be the best place to start.

I'd also start looking into what the actual 35TH Tennessee Inf. Reg. would have used/worn and at what points during the war. Again, your unit probably has done this and would be a good place to start.

Milliron
11-13-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm just starting reenacting. I was loking at a confederate outfit from Cresent City Sutler. My regiment is going to be the 35TH Tennessee Inf. Reg. Should I go with a sack coat or a shell coat. I was told I should probably go with the sack coat because of comfort. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you found out what the 35th TN was issued or might have been wearing? Granted, this may not be easy, but you may be able to document impressions to sister regiments. I would start there.

ngairish
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks Dave and Bob. I will talk to my Captain. He's the one that told me to use CCS. I will ask if it matters about the coat. A lot of the guys in the regiment have pieced together uniforms, I guess kind of like the original soldiers. But I will see him Wednesday night at church and I'll ask him. Thanks again guys.

Adam Jennings
35TH Tennessee Inf. Regt.
C.S.A.
Cohutta, GA

Milliron
11-14-2006, 10:30 AM
I recommend Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee by Larry Daniel. It really is a great primer to the AoT impression, no matter the regiment. Good luck.

NC5thcav
11-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Check out some original uniforms. Echoes of Glory has some good pics as do other fine books. What time period of the war are you portraying? A soldier from 1861 will probably not look like a soldier from 1863 will probably not look like a soldier from 1865. Check out this excelent article for an idea of how to answer your own question. http://www.military-historians.org/company/journal/confederate/confederate-1.htm

Hog-Eye Man
11-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks Dave and Bob. I will talk to my Captain.It probably won't help.

Better vendors here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/links/

VaTrooper
11-14-2006, 02:42 PM
I will talk to my Captain. He's the one that told me to use CCS.

Aaron,
Your right.

NC5thcav
11-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Since I don't want to pass judgement before looking at their products I took a look at their website. I cringe whenever I see "common shell jacket", "regimental sack coat" or wool Confederate uniforms. Their Confederate frock coat looks like a moo-moo. And I can't beleive they sell canvas cooler covers!

jurgitemvaletem
11-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Since I don't want to pass judgement before looking at their products I took a look at their website. I cringe whenever I see "common shell jacket", "regimental sack coat" or wool Confederate uniforms. Their Confederate frock coat looks like a moo-moo. And I can't beleive they sell canvas cooler covers!

Bayonits, sabors and corporate badges, oh my! Bayonits, sabors and corporate badges, oh my!

Yes, the spelling is as per original.

A major turn-off for me when perusing those sights is seeing a a plain cotton four button white shirt as being listed as a "Union issue" shirt.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

HighPrvt
11-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Columbus Depot would be your best bet.

Mint Julep
11-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Columbus Depot would be your best bet.

What about a plain frock coat? It will probably serve him well with the early war cycle starting in the mainstream world right now. It should carry him through about 3 years before he might need to start looking for the depot jacket for the last year or so.

MJ

HighPrvt
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
What about a plain frock coat? It will probably serve him well with the early war cycle starting in the mainstream world right now. It should carry him through about 3 years before he might need to start looking for the depot jacket for the last year or so.

MJ
The 35th Tenn. mostly does the Atlanta Campaign reenactments. That's why I suggested a CD, beats the **** out of a wool " regimental sack coat".

sumter_guard
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Just don't buy anything from Crescent City Sutler. Blockade Runner has some interesting western depot type jackets. One of them, I believe its called the "western depot jacket" is a jacket that can run from early to late war. Non descript, FHW jean wool, hand top stitched and all for around $150 bucks.

andrew

Milliron
11-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I looked at Blockade Runner's stuff, and it's not bad, (not really sure what they mean by a "Western Depot Jacket", but I get the drift) however, you could perhaps do better by paying a little more. Still, it seems to be a cut above a lot of stuff out there. They clearly looked in the right places to document their garment line. If you don't want to plunk down the $$ for a County Cloth or like made garment, they might be a good way to go.

I don't have much experience with the company, so maybe someone else can give you an idea.

I agree with Joe (MJ), though. A good, plain jean infantry frock would be my choice as a catchall for any TN impression through about '64 and beyond, really. The CD is really only good from mid '63 on (although it is my favorite CS impression, and is shockingly underrepresented).

My .02.

Russ Whitaker
11-16-2006, 08:13 AM
I agree with most of all the above, Get yourself a frock and a Columbus Depot, my unit requires the Columbus Depot first, then the frock as we most usually portray mid to late war. I have three Columbus Depot jackets, the latest one I purchased from Blockade Runner and I must say I'am very happy with it and was extremely happy and satisfied with their service, I ordered the jacket 2 weeks before Perryville 07 and I received it in 4 days, but the jacket was about 4 sizes too small, I called them and they did not have my size on the rack and said they would have to have it cut and sewn by their seamstress I was bummed about this, but.....they told me they would see what they could do, the jacket they sent me was marked a size 44, but I think it was a 36, they had the jacket picked up by UPS 2 days latter. 3 days before we were leaving for Perryville my jacket arrived and Iam thrilled by the service and the quality of the jacket, they now use Pat Kline jean cloth and I must say their quality has improved very much since they came on the scene as sutlers and their prices are very reasonable. My other jackets are a Quartermaster Shop CD, and a Childs kit CD, all are excellent jackets and only have minor differences between the three. The only thing I would warn you about is, there are some people out there making CD jackets that are vat dyed, I personally have never seen an original CD that was vat dyed, the CD's that I was privileged to see and examine were yarn dyed

NC5thcav
11-16-2006, 10:15 AM
If you want a good CD check out homespunwares.com (http://www.homespunwares.com/). Jason has the last few CD jackets made by Chris White. He only has a few, but if he has one your size, they are well the the money. I beleive they are on sale for $170 right now. Jason has wonderfull customer service too.

Mint Julep
11-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Just don't buy anything from Crescent City Sutler. Blockade Runner has some interesting western depot type jackets. One of them, I believe its called the "western depot jacket" is a jacket that can run from early to late war. Non descript, FHW jean wool, hand top stitched and all for around $150 bucks.

andrew

In my original post about the frock coat, I initially was going to suggest BR, but decided that I shouldn't. I do think that if one is going to buy a mainstream CS enlisted frock, the one BR makes is probably a good choice. I'd suggest cutting off the wooden tail buttons.

That said, it should be made clear that the jean is not from Pat Kline. I just double checked the garment descriptions for the jean coats on the BR website and the only mention of Kline's cloth is the indigo dyed cloth used for the cuffs and collars on the CD jacket. The majority fabric is a good copy of jeancloth, but it is imported from overseas.

MJ

terry sorchy
11-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I bought am item or two there(BR) just to examine a few years ago(items were then sent back). Low and behold they had the Pakistan size label on the inside. With ALL the great home grown AUTHENTIC vendors in this country Look on the AC, it amazes me that folks still go to mainstream vendors. I added up how much a sack coat from FC runs with handsewn buttonholes and its the same as one made by a vendor like W&W or CJ Daley. Common guys use common sense, when you make a purchase, buy quality, buy american, buy it once.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

Fenian
11-18-2006, 12:59 PM
I bought am item or two there(BR) just to examine a few years ago(items were then sent back). Low and behold they had the Pakistan size label on the inside. With ALL the great home grown AUTHENTIC vendors in this country Look on the AC, it amazes me that folks still go to mainstream vendors. I added up how much a sack coat from FC runs with handsewn buttonholes and its the same as one made by a vendor like W&W or CJ Daley. Common guys use common sense, when you make a purchase, buy quality, buy american, buy it once.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy
Terry, You are 100% correct on buying American and buying quality so you only need to buy once. But let's face it some of the fun is the upgrades and new products thst at least for me is somewhat of an "addiction";) and will keep me always in the market for something! Bud Scully 13th NJ and 69th NY

Mint Julep
11-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

Terry,

You'd be surprised who from the 5% buys things from BR and just doesn't mention it. I've run into some people there and we agreed never to "out" each other. It was like two Baptists running into each other at the liquor store. ;) Some of his items come from the same wholesale sources the quality vendors use.

Jerry Smith has made some effort to upgrade his CS coats, and they are fairly decent considering all factors. He sent us one to examine and we used it as a loaner at Franklin a few years ago. I showed it to several people who are 5%'ers and they could not discern the differences until they actually held it up close.

But, the bottom line is that some guys are not going to buy from the quality vendors because they have been brainwashed. So, I say steer them to a mainstream vendor that is offering a better product. I admit, I'm hesitant to ever advise someone to buy something less than the best, but I'm realistic enough to know that there are some guys that aren't going to buy the best regardless of what we say.

MJ

terry sorchy
11-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I guess I'll never understand that mindset.:confused:
Why when Armani costs but a few cents more, why would you want Walmart?:rolleyes:
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

tompritchett
11-18-2006, 05:22 PM
It was like two Baptists running into each other at the liquor store.

Reminds me of a joke my brother, a Southern Baptist deacon, once told.

Do you know how to keep a Southern Baptist from drinking all your beer during a fishing trip?

Invite a second Southern Baptist.

BTW, before anyone gets their hair in a sling, I was raised Southern Baptist and, I continued to attend their services with my parents everytime I visited up until my last parent died. I also tell jokes about my current demoniation, Episcopalian.

Mint Julep
11-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I guess I'll never understand that mindset.:confused:
Why when Armani costs but a few cents more, why would you want Walmart?:rolleyes:
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

Well, Terry, I don't buy Armani because I'm not that kind of person; I'm not that guy. Some people just don't see the need. It applies in real life as well as reenacting.

And, honestly, (and we do want to be honest, don't we?) it is more than a "few cents". In both scenarios.

MJ

tompritchett
11-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I guess I'll never understand that mindset.
Why when Armani costs but a few cents more, why would you want Walmart?

It is one thing to pay more for better quality in terms of longer wear & tear and greater authencity. It is totally another thing to pay more just for the prestige. In general both in the hobby and outside the hobby, I buy for the former reasons but do not buy for the latter reasons. (I did not buy from Walmart for other reasons but I have been known to find good clothing deals from thrift shop for everyday work cloths. Now that Walmart is starting to show signs in changes of philosophy, I might start going back for jeans and work shirts.)

terry sorchy
11-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Guys,
I guess what im trying to say is that the top makers i.e Daley, Welsh, Smith, Wambaugh, Sekala, Childs, to name a few, the list goes on and on have the prestige because they make quality items that are very very well researched and are made very well. They put the quality into it so you can have a kit thats virtually identical to those that were in the real conflict. The old notion that the price is out of league with mainstream sutlers is just not true anymore. You dont have to take out a second mortage to get museum quality items. I think my other analogy was a bit off. My apologies.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

3rdUSRedleg
11-18-2006, 07:19 PM
cough....cough.... www.oldnorthstatesutlery.com ...cough....cough

flattop32355
11-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Not every vendor with "prestige" makes all items "the best".

Some "non-prestige" vendors have been known to make some fine items of very good quality.

Some vendors with "prestige" in the past have lost that "prestige" in the present.

I'd be willing to bet that some vendors out there without "prestige" now will gain it in the future.

Reenactors need to be diligent in what they buy from any vendor, no matter the reputation. Recognize the positive indicators, yes, but realize things can change, for better or worse.

Not everyone likes every vendor, for one reason or another, personally or otherwise, regardless of their "prestige" or lack thereof.

RJSamp
11-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Guys,
The old notion that the price is out of league with mainstream sutlers is just not true anymore. You dont have to take out a second mortage to get museum quality items. I think my other analogy was a bit off. My apologies.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

You may not need to take out a second Mortgage Terry, but authentic clothing is easily 15 - 200 % higher in cost than say Jarnigan's or Fall Creek.

Quick Terry, which gas station do you stop at when they are at the same intersection:
Regular $2.24+9
OR
Regular $2.49+9

Maybe we need to use Mike Chapman's price list:
Authentic: Great Coat $0 (do with out)
Mainstream: Lamborghini $225,449
See, being authentic doesn't need to cost any more than going Mainstream.

Any of you want to come up with an apples to apples comparison (same item, same condition, same quantity) instead of Mike's apples to oranges slanted and biased cost analysis let me know. Can't wait to play auditor and Excel spreadsheet wizard on that. Here's an example:
Authentic Flannel underdrawers $50
Mainstream Fruit of the Loom underwear $0 (you already own them).

Here's a quick question Terry:
What's the price differential on a percentage basis between a Federal Frock Coat from Jarnigan's vs an Authentic no 2nd mortgage coat?

The barriers to entering this hobby are many, and include money. You can borrow from nearly all units for awhile to help 'set the hook' and reel in a fresh fish. But spending $100 to defarb an Enfield means a 25% cost differential between the hobbies.....and it all adds up.

terry sorchy
11-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Well Sir the vendors I mentioned make items from originals, with the same materials as the originals and have probably done more research on the material culture of the Civil War than you or I will do in a lifetime. If you can beat those credentials I would like to hear them. Also what quality vendor or vendors that used to be good and are not are you talking about. I think we all would be interested.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

terry sorchy
11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
I guess its priorities. I talk to mainstream reenactors and see all the extra stuff they bring, if you add up all the things like wall tents, furniture, cloths, trailer to haul it. Yeah I say youve far exceeded the authentis budget. Also guys I talk to that either smoke cigerrettes, drink a lot of brew, blow money on other things that if they only saved it could buy something that was histrorically accurate and not have to walk around in mainstream kit.
Terry Sorchy

ngairish
11-19-2006, 08:57 AM
First off I don't smoke, drink, or just blow money. But I do have a three year old daughter and I am a firefighter, so I don't have the greatest income as it is. So I have to go with mainstream. And for the love of God, all I dang well wanted to know was which was more comfortable, a sack coat or shell jacket. My regiment is, and was, a volunteer regiment. They pretty much had to put their own uniform together with whatever they could get their hands on. Most units in the confederacy were this way (argue if you want, look at pictures from then). Some wore cadet gray, some mixed gray, and some butternut. Some even wore union blue that they stole from union shops or off of dead soldiers. Some had kepis, some had slouch hats, and some just had a plain old farmer's felt hats or straw hats. The capt. said that from their research of the 35th Tenn. they had a mix and match of uniforms. I will look into other sutlers before I buy, but I also have to stay within my money bracket.

VaTrooper
11-19-2006, 09:17 AM
My regiment is, and was, a volunteer regiment. They pretty much had to put their own uniform together with whatever they could get their hands on. Most units in the confederacy were this way (argue if you want, look at pictures from then). Some wore cadet gray, some mixed gray, and some butternut. Some even wore union blue that they stole from union shops or off of dead soldiers. Some had kepis, some had slouch hats, and some just had a plain old farmer's felt hats or straw hats.

The way mainstream confederates spit that kind stuff out makes me wonder if maybe its printed in the CS bible that Fall Creek sells. :rolleyes:

Mint Julep
11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
First off I don't smoke, drink, or just blow money. But I do have a three year old daughter and I am a firefighter, so I don't have the greatest income as it is. So I have to go with mainstream. And for the love of God, all I dang well wanted to know was which was more comfortable, a sack coat or shell jacket. My regiment is, and was, a volunteer regiment. They pretty much had to put their own uniform together with whatever they could get their hands on. Most units in the confederacy were this way (argue if you want, look at pictures from then). Some wore cadet gray, some mixed gray, and some butternut. Some even wore union blue that they stole from union shops or off of dead soldiers. Some had kepis, some had slouch hats, and some just had a plain old farmer's felt hats or straw hats. The capt. said that from their research of the 35th Tenn. they had a mix and match of uniforms. I will look into other sutlers before I buy, but I also have to stay within my money bracket.

Don't take the tangent discussion personally. It isn't about you, it is about generalities, that are based on stereotypes.

However, your comments here indicate a lack of research on someone's part. ALL CS regiments were volunteers. The CS had no standing army when the war began. Many of the early CS regiments were organized from state militias, so they were decently equipped to start, but that stuff had to be replaced soon enough. The CS armies developed a terrific central depot system that provided coats, pants, shoes and hats to the soldiers in the field. The variations in colors came from inconsistent dye lots, various cloth sources and fading caused by exposure to the elements. Current reproduction cloths will also change colors with use.

Your captain is probably right, they probably did have a mix of uniform styles. All issued. Enlisted men's families usually didn't have the resources to provide all the clothing the man might need, but they probably did send him shirts, drawers, socks, scarves, mittens, etc.

You asked a question of which coat would be better. I stand by the suggestion of a frock. I think BR was selling his for $200 or less. That is a good price for what you get. Jarnagin's CW frock is about $300, by comparison.

I'm not trying to talk you out of purchasing something mainstream, I'm trying to talk you out of buying something farby.

MJ

Mint Julep
11-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Well Sir the vendors I mentioned make items from originals, with the same materials as the originals and have probably done more research on the material culture of the Civil War than you or I will do in a lifetime. If you can beat those credentials I would like to hear them. Also what quality vendor or vendors that used to be good and are not are you talking about. I think we all would be interested.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

Terry,

I don't consider myself "in the loop" and even I have heard the whispers and sideways comments about the re-engineering of reproductions by some of those "credentialled" vendors you mentioned there. This very forum has taken down threads that started naming names, so don't look for it here. I would suggest you spend more time on the OTB, because some of the answers you seek are there.

MJ

ngairish
11-19-2006, 11:50 AM
However, your comments here indicate a lack of research on someone's part.

The coment I made about using what they could get their hands on didn't come from anybody I know or from some dime store book. It came from reading actual accounts from soldiers who's regiments weren't getting the resupplies they needed. You can't argue with first hand accounts and photographs. Yes I know that the confederacy had uniform regulations. And yes they did try to uphold it, at first. But they had a hard enough time keeping their soldiers supplied with arms, ammunition, and food; much less unifroms. And yes, some soldiers did have homemade uniforms, whether regulation or not. But thanks to every one that gave me positive, non-partial feedback including mint julep. All the others that would rather argue and fuss over silly things, let us not lose focus on what the real vision is. Helping todays generation remember the worst war to ever happen to this country and to honor those soldiers that fought it.

Mint Julep
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Keep things in perspective. Union soldiers complained about a lack of re-supply, too, but we all know that they had a superior supply line, right?

I'm not talking about CS army regulations. I don't believe those were ever upheld. I'm talking about the depot system of centralized production and distribution to the troops in the field that did an outstanding job consider the obstacles they had to overcome. Individual soldiers may complain about a lack of some item, but entire armies were clothed from the depot system. Are you going to portray that one complaining soldier throughout your reenacting career or will your portrayal be that of a common soldier in the ranks?

The common soldier was taken care of by his government.

MJ

tompritchett
11-19-2006, 01:36 PM
The coment I made about using what they could get their hands on didn't come from anybody I know or from some dime store book. It came from reading actual accounts from soldiers who's regiments weren't getting the resupplies they needed. You can't argue with first hand accounts and photographs. Yes I know that the confederacy had uniform regulations. And yes they did try to uphold it, at first. But they had a hard enough time keeping their soldiers supplied with arms, ammunition, and food; much less unifroms. And yes, some soldiers did have homemade uniforms, whether regulation or not.

For an excellent reference to the full range of Confederate uniform suppies throughout the war might I suggest "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown. A Collection of Notes on Confederate Uniforms". It has generally gotten excellent review and is on the Christmas list I give to my wife each year. For more information on the book go to http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8147#poststop .

Memphis
11-19-2006, 01:59 PM
A man with an interest in the 35th Tennessee Infantry would do well to develop a special interest in Nixon's 48th Tennessee Infantry (especially during the period Sep. '63 to Apr. '64), and the 5th Tennessee Regiment Provisional Army prior to Sep. '61. Taking a good look at the 1st Mountain Rifle Regiment is a good idea, too. Research is good.

For a good time, call....uh....visit the Museum of the Western Soldier in Bardstown, Kentucky some weekend. They have a good set of exhibits (with some aspects that can be debated) and a fine publication or two.

ngairish
11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the insight MJ. Also thank you for the information memphis, will have to look into the 48th.

Mint Julep
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
visit the Museum of the Western Soldier in Bardstown, Kentucky some weekend. They have a good set of exhibits (with some aspects that can be debated) and a fine publication or two.

I can't say that I trust the labeling in all the exhibits at that museum.

MJ

Memphis
11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I agree. That is why the disclaimer "with some aspects that can be debated" was so readily apparent.

ngairish
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Are you going to portray that one complaining soldier throughout your reenacting career or will your portrayal be that of a common soldier in the ranks?

The common soldier was taken care of by his government.

MJ

I guess if I'm going to portray the common soldier in the ranks, especially one from the Atlanta Campaign, I need to go without shoes while I'm reenacting. I mean we are trying to get as real as possible aren't we. Well, I guess since a lot of Polk's men didn't have shoes, and this was recorded by his son, and a lot of other soldiers that I have SEEN in actual civil war photographs didn't either I'm going to need to do this also. I mean we are trying to experience what they really experienced. I guess I need to have lice put on my head also, and starve myself for as long as I can before an event so I look emmaciated. There wasn't just one complaining soldier, there were regimental officers, battalion commanders, division comanders and corps. commanders that are on RECORD as not being supplied correctly.

Memphis
12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I guess if I'm going to portray the common soldier in the ranks, especially one from the Atlanta Campaign, I need to go without shoes while I'm reenacting.

That is nice. Do you know why you really wear shoes?

jademonkey
12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I guess if I'm going to portray the common soldier in the ranks, especially one from the Atlanta Campaign, I need to go without shoes while I'm reenacting. I mean we are trying to get as real as possible aren't we. Well, I guess since a lot of Polk's men didn't have shoes, and this was recorded by his son, and a lot of other soldiers that I have SEEN in actual civil war photographs didn't either I'm going to need to do this also. I mean we are trying to experience what they really experienced. I guess I need to have lice put on my head also, and starve myself for as long as I can before an event so I look emmaciated. There wasn't just one complaining soldier, there were regimental officers, battalion commanders, division comanders and corps. commanders that are on RECORD as not being supplied correctly.

If you have pictures of Johnston's men in the field during the Atlanta campaign without shoes - I would love to see them. And honestly, to answer your question - why not starve yourself before an event? I've also had dysentary - not pretty, but it does highten your impression. I came in on the middle of this, what type of sack coat were you asking about?

ngairish
12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
I didn't say I had pictures of Johnston's men without shoes. I was referencing pictures from the civil war as a whole of men without shoes. It's funny how if a "mainstreamer" says something was one way, "oh no it couldn't be!!" Guess I've been reading fairytail books and imagining it was a civil war book. As for the question about the coat, all I asked was which was more comfortable, a sack coat or a shell jacket. Folks keep telling me it depends on the period, but in pictures I see of not only the regiment I will be in, but of a lot of others, there are a mixture of shell jacket, sack coats, and frocks. I'm sure there were regiments that were fully uniformed the way they were supposed to be. But all the pics I've seen of my regiment they were a mixture of periods and styles. I was being sarcastic about the boots, lice and starvation by the way. I just get tired of all the criticism and fussing on here. Not critisism and fussing pointed at me, but at each other. It's supposed to be fun.

Mothers-Finest
12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
www.militaryartgallery.com/HTML/confederate_i...

Here is a good painting of a AOT bugler. Personnally i do a AOT impression and use a Columbus jacket and a Frock Coat. The jacket crecent city sells is ok but for the impression you are doing i would go with a shell jacket. If possible jean cloth and seeing what situation you are in with money that might be harder. Do you know how to sew? You can save alot of money that way. I saved 50$ doing that to my pants. If you are interested i can give you the info. on Obediah Prophet. He is a great person to deal with, with great prices. You can Get a Jean jacket for i think 95$. He is out of Georgia. He doesnt have a web site but he has a store at his house. He Hand sews alot of stuff for fun and still sells it for the basic price. His name is Don and his wife name is Mary.

Also with the jacket crescint city sells you will sweat to death. Its very humid and cant breath well. I hope this helps.

jademonkey
12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Friend,

I appologise if my comments seemed harsh - I was just funnin' (as they say). Unfortunately there is no easy answer as to what the "best" thing for you to wear would be. At times the armies of the confederacy were very well supplied and at others - completely destitute. It all depends...(oh no) on what period of the war (even down to the month), regiment or state you are portraying. There is evidence that at certain times some soldiers were without shoes, or that men even within the same company had no two uniforms alike, and there is also evidence to the contrary. Some accounts of the war were also written well into the late 19th or early 20th century and were affected by "lost cause" politics of the time that promoted the picture of the "ragged rebel". We know now that that is a true picture for some periods or units during the war but not necessarily true for all. I am not going to speak of comfort, but if you are looking for a "magic" coat that would be appropriate for a number of different scenarios then the civilian sack coat would be preferable to a shell jacket to start with. Good luck to you, Garrett

bill watson
12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
The sack coat is more comfortable. Under the best circumstances, the jacket, being short, can create a gap between itself and the pants, especially with accouterments pulling and tugging. The sack, being longer, has a greater margin for error, if you will, and tends to hang quite a distance down over the pants even when you're running, sitting down, lying down to load or whatever.
This is undoubtedly "comfort" based on what we're used to from years of wearing modern clothing, like sports coats and parkas and even windbreakers, but there it is. The times I've worn a jacket it's felt like something was wrong, and there was definitely an occasional draft, even with the waistband of the pants very high rather than at the modern level below the navel. I admittedly have a long torso in proportion to overall body height, and short legs, but I'm not the only one to be found trying to pull a jacket down all day long because it just doesn't feel like it's as long as it needs to be.
I hope that actually answers your question.