PDA

View Full Version : Stabler-Leadbetter Apothecary Museum

Robert A Mosher
11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
I just noticed in the Washington Post that this museum is reopening this weekend (November 11) after being closed for two years for renovation. It is described as having "exhibits of antique pill rollers, mortars, pestles, drug mills, glassware, journals, letters, furnishings, and patent medicines from the 1790s." From an accompanying illustration of a liniment label it is clear that they meant to say "from the 1790s onwards."

This sounded like another possible resource for those reenactors medically inclined. The museum is in Alexandria, Virginia at 105-107 S. Fairfax St. Telephone: 703-838-3852. It is reportedly open 11am-5pm Tuesday-Saturday, and 1-4pm on Sundays. There is a $4 charge for adults; $2 for ages 11-17; and children age 10 and younger get in free.

(Frankly, it didn't say and I have not checked to see if there is a webpage)

Robert A. Mosher

Robert A Mosher
11-17-2006, 01:39 PM
The Washington Post on November 16 featured a further article on the museum in the Alexandria-Arlington insert. I also found the associated website at http://oha.alexandriava.gov/apothecary/ featuring some of the same information about the shop, its history, and the exhibits and other resources.

Robert A. Mosher

NoahBriggs
02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I just got back from visiting the museum.

It is a work in progress. Admission is $4, $3 if you are a Triple A Member. You visit the main area downstairs, which is made up to resemble the place as it was c. 1850s - 1870s. There are a couple of display cases set up with original bottles and other apothecary artifcats.

Upstairs is an original preserved storage/manufacturing place. There are drawers filled with original material, labels, corks, everything one needs to run a pharmacy. When the place went bankrupt in 1933, and the owners left - and left everything they owned, in situ.

The docents are trained to give you a basic rundown, and there are tours every half hour, fifteen before the hour, and fifteen after.

Apothecary Museum (www.ApothecaryMuseum.org)