PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Broke off help

kenpoga
11-08-2006, 09:28 PM
I was cleaning my 53 armi sport enfield musket. The front sight broke off. I have a event this weekend. Is there anything I can do to hold it on for the weekend. I am going to olustee in feb 07 and I am going to take it to lodgewood and let them fix it then. Help.

Pvt. Kyle Clayton
42nd GA Infantry, Co B

tompritchett
11-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I was cleaning my 53 armi sport enfield musket. The front sight broke off. I have a event this weekend. Is there anything I can do to hold it on for the weekend.

First, did the site itself break or did it pop off the barrel. The answer to that question will greatly determine your options. Second, unless you get a real good answer from someone with experience with the recommended fix, leave it off and just tell your 1SGT that you can not fix your bayonette safely. Your weapon will have to be a leaner for the weekend.

reb64
11-09-2006, 12:08 AM
This happened to me at prarie grove a few years back. James mercantile armorer welded it/soldered it back quickly. any good gunsmith locally can probably do so as well. 20$ then.any home remedie like jb weld might work but also might fail dangerously.

Sgt_Pepper
11-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I've done this half a dozen times using coreless silver or hi-temp solder, acid flux and a plumber's torch. Use emery paper to smooth the rough broken solder joint on the barrel, leaving just enough to show you exactly where the sight goes. Wrap the emery around the barrel and clean up the bottom of the sight by moving it back and forth over the emery. Work slowly and get a good fit, it will make the joint stronger.

Apply a bit of flux to the area. Secure the sight with a piece of wire from a twist tie. Make sure the sight is exactly where it needs to be and won't move when you hit it with the gas from the torch. Play the torch over the barrel to warm it and then concentrate on the sight area until the solder melts and flows under the sight. Remove the flame when you touch the solder to the joint. Apply just enough to make it appear all around the joint. Let it cool, clean up excess solder with a fine file and polish the area with the emery.

If needed, touch up the area with a good cold bluing formula. Work carefully and you ought to have a stronger joint than the original.

Rob Weaver
11-09-2006, 06:19 AM
When you get home, take the barrel and sight (ONLY THE BARREL!!) to a jeweler and ask him to silver solder it back on. Cheap repair - will last for years. I will repeat the advice about not trying to glue, epoxy, whatever, it back on for the weekend. I tried every adhesive known to man a few years back when this happened to me. You'd be surprised how much torque fixing and unfixing the bayonet really produces; stripped the sight off every time. If you don't have the tools to do it at home, simply explain to your commander what happened. He should understand.

kenpoga
11-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks for all the input on my post. It helped a lot. I talked with my captain he understands. :) Take care all.

Pvt. Kyle Clayton
42nd GA Infantry, Co B

bill watson
11-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Don't go to anyone who will try to talk you into anything but silver solder or some other high-temp stuff. The common plumber's solder just won't hold.

reddcorp
11-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Just to concur that you need to have the sight silver-soldered for a long-term fix.
Caveat: If you don't know much about soldering, let a good gunsmith (or jeweler) do the job. It shouldn't cost much and will save the cost of redoing a self-done job.

Andy Redd

HighPrvt
11-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I was cleaning my 53 armi sport enfield musket. The front sight broke off. I have a event this weekend. Is there anything I can do to hold it on for the weekend. I am going to olustee in feb 07 and I am going to take it to lodgewood and let them fix it then. Help.

Pvt. Kyle Clayton
42nd GA Infantry, Co B

Leave your bayonet home this weekend. Bayonets are overrepresented among confederates anyhow. Tell Capt. Fallaw I said hey!!

kenpoga
11-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks again for all the information. And yes I'll tell Capt. Fallaw I said hello. :)

Pvt. Kyle Clayton
42nd GA Infantry, Co B

Band_Box_Reb
02-27-2007, 10:16 AM
My front sight broke off my enfield armi sport while stacking arms a couple of weeks ago. Advice from NCO's of my unit was to take my musket to James Country Mercantile at Battle for Aiken. I did and I believe the gentlemans name is Dale. He did a super job of soldering my sight back on. Very much recommend. Seems these armi sports are infamous for sights breaking off.

Thanks very much James Country Mercantile.

Pete K
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Take the bayonet with you so you are sure the socket will fit over the sight and lock in place properly. I had the same problem once and when the gunsmith attached the sight it was about a 16/th of an inch off and the bayonet just didn't fit correctly, had to have the job redone (my error, not the local gunsmith).