PDA

View Full Version : Lego Projects with the Civil War Buff in Mind

jurassic85
03-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi all, I'm new here but not a reenactor, although I do know some people in the biz. Anyway, I've been working on some Civil War stuff out of lego(yes, that's right! Lego!), and I wanted to get some feedback from true Civil War buffs like yourselves. :) Unfortunately, Lego never made Civil War sets, so I have to work with what I have, and I don't believe in using decals which also makes it rough. The closest Lego ever came to making Civil War stuff was the cavalry figures from the Wild West sets, which I have a bunch of. Then they finally came out with light blue pants, and they look great on them. Confederates, on the other hand, aren't as easy.

When you check out my link, please be sure to leave a review, and you can even leave a written one if you want(it's a rating system based on a scale of 1 to 5). Don't worry, you don't need to create an account with the site in order to give a rating. I hope to make many Civil War oriented creations in the future. Here's the link: http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/6610

Mich8th
03-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I looked at your creations and they are really good looking. As far as Lego's go I am reaching in my mind and do believe there were some figures made during the late 60's or early 70's with the light blue pants and navy frock. I use to and still sometimes put legos together and I am no spring chicken anymore just look at the 60's and 70's and reaching in my mind quote :? . I just wish I would have gotten stocks :( in Lego back then as they are still a very popular toy.

Frenchie_2006
03-05-2006, 09:41 PM
There's a lot of ingenuity and creativity in what you're doing. My son-in-law (by 2nd marriage) is into Legos, I'm going to send him a link to your page. His name is also Matthew. Keep up the good work!

sbl
03-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I'll have to get a digital camera to post MY Lego CW figures.

There's a fellow that uses Legos to creat books of the Bible.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/

I'd like to see US History done with them.

farbersweekly
03-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Having a love of any sort of military dioramas, and now having two boys, I particular love the "Defending the Flank"!!!

Sincerely,
Dave Potts
http://www.usovals.com/usovals/civilwarreenactnew20.htm

jurassic85
03-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi again. I'm glad you like my stuff. I probably should've mentioned that "Defending the Flank" should be present in the NMRA show at Philly this summer, July 7-9. Thirteen clubs from around the nation will be working together on a giant layout. Datewise, that's pretty close to Gettysburg, so anybody who plans on reenacting at Gettysburg this year might also want to check our train layout out.

Mich8th, I'm not sure whether or not Lego made a set like that before. Sounds pretty interesting and rare. I'll have to e-mail the company and get some info. on that.

Frenchie_2006, would your son-in-law happen to have any pictures posted of his stuff? If so, I'd be interested in checking them out.

sbl, I'd love to see pics of your Civil War soldiers, and when you do post them, I hope you won't mind if I link to your page from my site. I'm trying to gather links of various Lego Civil War creations to use as a source of inspiration for both myself and others.

Thanks again to all.

Matt

Frenchie_2006
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Frenchie_2006, would your son-in-law happen to have any pictures posted of his stuff? If so, I'd be interested in checking them out.

No, but they wouldn't do you much good anyway, he's mostly into Star Wars.

Silver Spring Guards
03-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow the are great..

Now I am wondering what ever happened to all my lego's I use have so many years ago..

I did make a model of the Carter House (Franklon, Tn) once : )

NoahBriggs
03-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I cannibalized several pirate and soldier figurines to make myself some zouaves back in the late 80s.

Red legs, blue tops, yellow epulattes, backpack, and a pirate cloth hat for the fez.

sbl
03-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Noah,

I did the same for Zouaves. The Waiter w/black arms added, a bearded face and the villian top hat is of course Abraham Lincoln. The mousetache face and hair piece stuck on the same body is Booth.

I did this in the late 90s.

The red Imperial Guards work as British of course and the blue Imperial Guards as Royal Artillery. (of Mexicans or US 1812) Take the legs off and stick them to the ground piece and they're crossing the swamps of New Orleans.

NoahBriggs
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
I even began to write a series of wargame rules to cover the pirates vs. soldiers Lego playsets. I wanted to create strategic harbors, assaulting forts, random events, the whole works. :shock:

Fortunately I got infected with chronic sanity and never got around to getting the playsets, much less writing the rules. :roll:

sbl
03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Noah,

There's folks that wargame with "Playmobile" figures and sets.

Hope folks don't think "LEGOs" trivialize the representation of the CW/WBTS.

NoahBriggs
03-22-2006, 07:49 AM
If you really want to stretch the logic you could argue that pirate toys and movies glorify muntiny, violence, thievery and encourage defiance of authority. I have yet to interview anyone accused of piracy on the high seas who claimed his sole inspiration came from Errol Flynn/Johnny Depp movies.

Whatever it takes to interest kids in our history.

sbl
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Noah,

I agree! I bought a box of Armies-In-Plastic WW One Germans awhile back. My daughter, 5 at the time, wanted to see them. "Which one is Hitler?" She asked. I showed her one soldier. "Here he is, Corporal Hitler." She was impressed.

She's ten and gets good history grades from seeing my toy soldier collection, seeing us reenacting, and American Girl Dolls.