PDA

View Full Version : Altered US plate.

VaTrooper
11-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I just altered this US box plate on my 57' pattern cartridge box and thought Id share.

MStuart
11-02-2006, 08:31 PM
William:

How'd you do it?

Mark

VaTrooper
11-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Well I just beat on the face of it for the first 10 minutes with no results so I took a hand torch and melted the lead out of it. Then I used a hammer to flatten it out as best as I could. I cleaned it up a bit then the dirt and crud really sunk into the deep creases making the US still fairly visible but once I washed it up it wasnt bad. To punch the CS in I used a hammer and thick but short bladed screw driver but I had to do it 4-5 times to get a decent looking product. I just used some pliars to give it the concave shape again. And then I reheated the lead and poured it back in. But let the lead cool naturally. It didnt stick as well to the plate when I used water to cool it.

Rob Weaver
11-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Is there an authenticity secret I'm not in on yet? That seems like a lot of work for an item that can be had for $10. Especially since you intimate that you did it twice.

VaTrooper
11-03-2006, 08:19 AM
There's no secret I've just seen a few plates that were field modified to a similar appearance but I cant recall ever seeing one done in the hobby.

Rob Weaver
11-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Cool. I don't do Confederate, so I'm a bit out of my element. I have a friend who casts his own buckles and tins stuff for Roman period. He's much more of a craftsman than I'll ever be and I love to hear him talk about the latest thing he's hammered out in his basement or at his forge.

roundshot
11-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Lon Keim's " Confederate General Service and Accouterment Plates" contains pictures of several US plates with their face altered for CS service. They all are done in somewhat the same fashion. They look nothing like this.

Bob Williams
1st NC Arty

VaTrooper
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
I loosely based mine on one I saw at the Richmond show a couple years ago. Its a field altered piece and I wasnt going for the photocopy look.

AZReenactor
11-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi Depot (http://www.trans-mississippi.com/) has several VERY interesting museum quality replicas of various original altered CS plates that he has made. Some are quite crude (replicating the originals exactly) but several of them of them are so well done where you can only just see the faint outline where the U was carefully modified to look like a C.

Don makes quite a few interesting and "not seen enough in the ranks" belt plates. He had some wire backed and puppy paw backed US plates as well as pre/early war militia plates he had made at a recent West Coast event.

One very interesting plate Don had for sale was a reproduction of a copper "egg shaped" CS oval belt plate. You can see a picture of an original at The Horse Soldier(Listed for $2,750.00!) (http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/c0024.html) and RelicMan (http://www.relicman.com/musbukccg.htm) sites.

If you wantto get beyond the typical Sutler row oval CS buckle, Don Smith is a great resource to keep in mind. His expierence as an interpretive Ranger with the Mansfield State Historic Park and craftsmanship in reproducing authentic museum quality metal, leather, and clothing articles is quite remarkable and an asset to all of us in the hobby.

Minieball577
11-06-2006, 09:24 PM
I loosely based mine on one I saw at the Richmond show a couple years ago. Its a field altered piece and I wasnt going for the photocopy look.

Interesting. In all the references I have, I have never seen one like this. I second the reference to Keim's General Service plates book. Great source.