PDA

View Full Version : Dr Mary Walker Statue...

sbl
03-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Small model of the full sized statue.

http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo/img-1939jpg-d3e2a0d91c2ac513_large.jpg

"Oswego dedication of Dr. Mary Walker statue postponed
Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 5:41 PM

Oswego, NY -- The dedication of a new statue in honor of Dr. Mary Walker at the Oswego Town Hall has been postponed.

The Town of Oswego Historical Society had planned an April 30 dedication at the town hall at 2320 county Route 7. The society's board of trustees recently was notified by sculptor Sharon BuMann that she will be unable to present a completed monument by the deadline as a result of unforeseen delays in the project.

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, I regret to say that the planned dedication for April 30 has been postponed," said George DeMass, Oswego Town Historian and society trustee. "We are still very excited about the near completion of this project and it promises to be a memorable day for the town."

After the statue is complete and the site is prepared, a new dedication date will be set.

For more information, contact the Oswego Town Hall at 343-2586.

sbl
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
The Chicago History Museum has this comic painting of Dr Mary Walker, found in a Chicago saloon. The title on the site states that it might be because of Dr. Walker's "male" garb and womens rights politics.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u100/sbl1952/ChicagoHistoryMuseumDrMaryWalker.jpg

MrsArmstrong
03-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for posting the picture. Love the garters!

sbl
03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Tell me Mrs. Armstrong, do you think the scale model of the statue is ugly?

Spinster
03-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Well Scott, since you asked........(okay, you didn't ask me, but you asked):p

I was hoping the delay in presenting the statue was because the artist wished to present a more accurate depiction.

One of the first things that struck me was the fact the the lines of the clothing were not correct to the period (nor to the commonly available likenesses of Dr. Walker), even given that she wore reform dress. The shoulders are cut incorrectly, as is the drape of the bodice. Dr. Walker was a reformer--but she was not slovenly. That bodice is.

The likeness is not a good one. Today we would call Dr. Walker 'plain', though during the period her facial structure was considered attractive.

Quite frankly, the statue needs only an umbrella to look like an outtake from Singing in the Rain, when it should be a dignified tribute to a visionary pioneer in medicine.

I guess its trying to compete with the Perry Como statue in Gettysburg. :rolleyes:

MrsArmstrong
03-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Looking at the statue I'm confused. What period and event in her life is being depicted? Is something going to be in her raised hand? It looks like a blustery day, is she being depicted outside?

Here are some images of her.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Dr.+Mary+Walker&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6w2TTfL-K4nh0gHrmN27Dg&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=604

MrsArmstrong
03-30-2011, 08:03 AM
As I see it, this is not a dignified pose. As a student of women's history, I find it insulting to see women depicted in a manner that would not be used for a male historical figure. Why would someone depict a women like this? It holds no meaning for me. I agree with Mrs. Lawson as to her interpretation of Singing in the Rain.

sbl
03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
The scale model appears as yet another bronzed modern store dummy that appears to have melted at the neck. Dr. Walker posed for a good number of photos in her life and any pose might make a good statue. If this is meant to be impressionistic, it "ain't." She was a relatively attractive women and even her reform dress and later mans clothing had feminine accessories and were meant as woman's clothing, not borrowed male clothing. The sculptor just didn't "get it."

Spinster
03-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Certainly Scott.

Dr. Walker definitely knew how to work her style and her political statement--even in old age, she is attractive and sparkly and, well, sexy---it shines through in the pictures.

In images of the period, Dr. Walker is neatly dressed, well turned out, and shapely. She's also obviously corseted, even in reform dress. She has a proper period figure.

That's what really fries me about that statue---its shaped like a modern woman in a sports bra. And it looks stupid. Just like it does when reenactors pop a period dress over modern underware and think they look right.

sbl
03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Wow, Mrs Lawson. With that spelling it sounds like it was made in a drop-forge shop and welded together by Local 58. Some software and programing as well. ;) WINK!!!!

I wonder if there was something like a "Fountainhead" moment and someone said no way to this statue. Maybe similar to the incident of the Battle of Palmeto Ranch diorama.

Spinster
03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Giggle.

No Scott, just a whole lot of across the pond influence and old musty books in my early education. Old style Southron spelling still lives.

sbl
04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I was just curious about the artist of the statue...

http://www.sharonbumann.com/about.htm