PDA

View Full Version : Extreme makeover; Repro musket edition

FloridaBummer
10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah; thats what it says.
I have just recieved my highly maintained Euroarms P53 3 band Enfield (which is about 13 years old and seen lots of use, but not abused), back from James River.

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/index.html

I did not recognize my musket upon its return (thats a good thing;-)).

He did a fantastic job. Very impressive. This was a total defarb, reblueing, stock reshaping, etc.
I highly recommend them for their work. I already own one of his defarbed contract muskets.
Some may ask why I had it reblued. I was inspired by Jeff Walden's extensive article about Enfield defarbing. Now its so pretty I can't bare to take to the field (just kidding).

Anyway its nice see another person out there who deals in turning out a quality product.

Kindest Regards;

Russ Whitaker
10-31-2006, 08:28 AM
I've heard he does excellent work, was it very expensive to have done ? It's nice see you have returned it back to blue.

Jim Mayo
10-31-2006, 08:47 AM
It's nice see you have returned it back to blue.

I agree.

I recently re-blued a two band enfield barrel after it was de-farbed. I used the cold rust blueing method and the results were very good. I like the color better than the modern blueing. It was also relatively easy.

FloridaBummer
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
The total cost for his defarb was about $245.. This included return postage. In my opinion it was worth every bit of that amount. I recieved the musket back after about a month.
Now it seems that defarbing my Enfield is an ongoing process or has been for the last few years after many mistakes. I ordered a more authentic rear site from Lodgewood to add on.
Regards;

Russ Whitaker
11-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Thats great Jim...Which recipe did you use to re-blue your weapon ?

FloridaBummer
11-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Fellas;
Here's something interesting I recall reading in the fine book, "Mother, may you never see the sights I've seen" by Warren Wilkenson, in reference to the Enfield's blueing.
"
Company K's men who had been without firearms, as they had been promised Spencer Repeaters which could not be procured while at Camp Wool- were finally issued rifled muskets from the IX corps ordinance depot on April 22, but unlike other companys of the 57th Mass which all had Springfields, drew English made Enfields. This no doubt pleased them somewhat, because unlike the Springfields which were bright on the steel parts and rusted easily, the Enfield's steel barrels were blued and many of the fittings made of brass, and keeping them clean was much easier."

I would also highly recommend this book.

Just thought I would add little bit of that fine information, as this was a little of the inspiration of getting my Enfield reblued. This portion thread was not posted to start the Bluing Vs. non blued authenticity issue in past threads.

Kindest Regards;

NC5thcav
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I just reblued my Endield, and blued the bayonet socket and shank (something I have rarely seen in reenacting). Bright Enfields seem to be prevalent now, and I like being different, not to mention its easier to keep clean.

FloridaBummer
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree, thats another detail people with Enfields have tendency to overlook on their bayonets, and it seems the bright Enfields are prevailent in the ranks, although I may be wrong
a few years back I got the idea after seeing many originals that had the bluing still on the socket, which I thought to very interesting. Some had small traces while a few more had almost all of the dark bluing left. I had decided to blue the socket of my repro bayonet and replaced the locking ring with an original. The bluing has now turned to a brown color and the blade is bent. It was taken care of and kept bright and oiled, but 'hard use' took its tole. I am seriously considering replacing it with an original bayonet cleaning and rebluing the socket. Not sure how much work it will take to fit an original onto my shooter. I do recall it took alot of work fitting an original Springfield bayonet to my repro contract musket.
Kindest Regards;

Jim Mayo
11-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Thats great Jim...Which recipe did you use to re-blue your weapon ?

I used Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown and Degreaser. (Mail order from Brownells) The directions come in the package for obtaining a blue or brown finish. I used a piece of rain go brand vinyl gutter with the end pieces snapped on and RTV'd in place for a tray. Basically you remove existing blueing using blueing remover. I found it is better to also use a good degreaser afterwards than rely on the one in the browning solution. Using latex gloves to handle the barrel so no body oil gets on the steel, wipe the barrel browning solution on with a cotton ball per directions. After a specified time pour boiling water over the barrel. It changes the result of the solution from a brown to a deep dark blue pretterier than any modern blueing on enfields and much like the original (so I have been told). Remember you have to cork the end of the barrel and stop up the cone hole (play dough works good) to keep the solution out of the inside of the barrrel. This procedure needs to be repeated about 5 or 6 times or until you get the finish you want. The AC forum has almost the same directions for this procedure if you want to go search for it. I would as I posted lessons learned to it after I did mine.

FloridaBummer
11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Jim; I have purchase that bluing recently and have yet to use it. I recall it being mentioned on the AC forum. I plan on using, if I get another bayonet (about 75% sure on that one).
Also I want to say you have a neat website and its to see something like that with all of those original items and comparisons to reproductions.
Kindest Regards;