PDA

View Full Version : Greatcoat pockets

unclefrank
10-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I have a Federal mounted greatcoat that I use for a Southern capture impression. I would like to modify it with some outside pockets. Has anyone seen an example of this being done? Thanx

theknapsack
10-29-2006, 04:17 PM
There's an original infantry overcoat that has the cape cut off and two horizontal pockets added. Let me see if I can dig up the image...

Jim Mayo
10-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I have an article somewhere about modifications of original uniforms. I can't find it at present, but it has a great coat with pockets added along with blouses with pockets added etc. I added two slit pockets to my great coat and it is really nice to keep your hands warm. I put them sorta in the front so they are also good for keeping whatever in that you may need.

Guy Gane III
10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
There is an example (that you can see, anyhow) in Don Troiani's book, "Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War". It's a mounted greatcoat and it shows a slit pocket on the left breast pocket.

Take this for what it's worth... put yourself in the situation of being in the original soldier's position. You're cold, miserable, etc. I know from my own experience at Winter '64 (and the fact I live around Buffalo) has shown that if you don't have gloves, you might as well look forward to some cracked skin/irritation of some sort. The chances of picking up a Fed greatcoat and then getting yelled at because you took off the cape and made pockets, would seem very unlikely to me if you are playing a Cornfed. Think of the location of where your Regt comes from, would it be rather reasonable to assume there was a tailor who went to war with you?? Being as how you spent the past few months/years with this tailor, would you ask him to put in pockets or would you rather do it yourself?? These are the basic situations that the original soldier went through.

In my opinion, if you want to take off the cape, I would cut out patch pockets and place them a distance lower than your belt line (easy access). Next I would make a slash pocket somewhere in the breast, out of the way of cross straps of any kind.

Bam!! There you go... pockets that weren't issued along with the coat, but time well spent everytime you put your hands/items in your new pockets.

:D

Washington_Mess
11-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Greetings,
I know of a a few images showing Federal soldiers with either slit or long patch pockets sewn on to the front of the skirts of thier overcoats. If I get a chance I'll try to provide you a source or two.

There is also an original here in the midwest that has had two slash pockets sewn into the chest under the cape.

Darrek

Mint Julep
11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
What about patch pockets on the skirt made from non-matching fabric? In other words, not cutting the cape off?

I like the cape. I feel like Superman. ;)

MJ

Memphis
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Superman, or maybe you know at least two reasons the coat has a cape in the first place. ;)

Mint Julep
11-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I like doing the monk impression, too.

Ommmmm ...

MJ

jurgitemvaletem
11-03-2006, 12:14 PM
I like the cape too, but pockets for arthritis ridden hands sound better. I will have to get some fabric and add some slit pockets myself.

thanks,
Jurgitem Valetem

Guy Gane III
11-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't put patch pockets on if I couldn't match the color of the pockets to the coat. What I mean by this is, dont take apart a sack coat and put them on the outside. Take apart an old pair of trowsers and use that material. Or if you really need them, make slash pockets using the sack material for the inside.

Going for a different look? Try taking off the skirt of your greatcoat. :idea: